La Scala pair for trinket collector

Parrot

Just goes to show how much you guys REALLY know. Those are frequency modulation devices which curb the doppler effect induced by the bass horn on the lower midrange frequencies of the K33. The "Knick Knack" is actually a custom order piece from Advanced Tuning Systems International. Those run around $400 -- and there is a 6 month waiting list for them.

It's amazing the things people do under the influence of drugs.

Actually it's not for trinket collectors but trinket destroyers...better known as Dr Evil's Knick-Knack Cyclotron.

1. Put the much despised object on the shelf.

2. Put on a generic "booty bass" hip-hop CD

3. Pump up the volume

4. Watch the Hummel figurine minuet across the room and explode into ceramic detritis! Yeah, Baby!

Or maybe not...

Best in horns,

Triceratops

Come on guys !! how long have you been surfing this forum ???

The fins you see pictured are a " good " mod for the lascala . They tighten up the bass bin from vibration.

The guy just put his " Trinket " in there for a laugh or to show the size of the speaker to those who are not in the know.

Oh, I'm sure Dale is right. But if you have to highly modify the appearance of an otherwise beautifully-designed pair of Klipsch loudspeakers that PWK spent alot of R&D with in the first place, then maybe you've made a wrong choice in choosing your loudspeakers. If you dislike the sound they produce that much that you have to make a mod that heinous, then maybe you should find another loudspeaker manufacturer that sounds better to your ears, and leave the beautiful cabinets alone for someone else who truely appreciates them and loves their sonics just the way they are!

Just my opinion, of course.

JIM: Some of us just can't leave well enough alone. ( part of the hobby) lol.

Just wait till you see pictures of my lascala mods ( coming soon) you'll love them or you'll send me hate e-mail. lol

I have owned a pair of scalas with this mod done ( very nice indeed) but the driver bin was covered with a grille cover so you'd never know anything had been changed.

Of the 12 or so pairs that have gone thru my doors, these one's sounded just about the best.

The mod i'm doing right now also deals with tightening up the driver bin "but" i'm taking a totaly different approach.

In order to clear up some misconceptions:

1. The early versions of LaScalas were NOT made with this modification.

2. LaScalas were NEVER made as a standard production item with this mod...although a few prototypes incorporating this mod were built-up.

3. PWK "toyed around" with this mod(see LaScala in backround in attached pic of PWK in the old lab).

4. This mod WILL stiffen-up the side panels of the LaScala bass bins and eliminate possibility of resonances in those panels at high volume levels.

post-9310-13819247018662_thumb.jpg

As for the EARLY versions of the LaScala...they had NO upper H/F housing...but, instead, ONLY had a motorboard atop the bass bin, to which the mid-horn and tweeter were mounted. ALSO...the bass bin was different in that the orientation of the "doghouse" portion of it was rotated 90 degrees. This proved difficult to build for the final production models, not to mention aesthetically unpleasant, so the doghouse was rotated 90 degrees to provide ease of construction. Another point is that some of the early versions of the LaScala were powered by a 12" driver in the bass bin, instead of a 15" driver as in the production models.

One other note:

Some of you may wonder just WHY this mod was never incorporated into the production models if it works! Well...the answer is twofold:

1. Since minor variations in the centering-up of the doghouse in the bass bin during production ALWAYS occur in regular production...and since minor variations in thicknesses of plywood, etc...can also cause a difference in the EXACT distance from the doghouse to the bass bin sides...each of these mod panels would have had to have been custom cut for each speaker in order to ensure a proper fit...NOT a good idea for production costs!!

2. Since the installation of these reinforcing vanes would provide convenient "hand-grips" for owners to maneuver the LaScala cabinets around, then there was an extremely high likelihood that the glue joints would eventually crack, thereby causing a "buzzing" effect...which the owners would want repaired under warranty...yet another "NOT GOOD" idea for a production model.

Therefore, PWK decided that if the owners of LaScalas wanted this mod...they could easily do it themselves...and that would save the company alot of hassles in production and in warranty repairs...and it would also allow the speakers to remain at their current costs to consumers. I personally think he was correct in making this decision.

Andy,

All those reasons for not putting them in production models makes a lot of sense.

I just posted this on another trhead, but look at Erik Froker's site at

www.volvotreter.de

and look at the link for his old system. He made mini LaScala clones with a 10" woofer and a tractrix horn on top. He has those braces on those he built.

His new system looks pretty cool as well. He is using a KHorn as a subwoofer.

Marvel