CL Annihilator 2 ultra vs Radeon

wife-said-no

Someone out there that has either of these tell me which is better. Anandtech can't make up my mind. It gives the Radeon some good scores but then the CL is a 250mhz card. Compared to the 150mhz of the radeon I can't see how it is any good compared to the CL. All the extras mean nothing because I have an extensive home theater so my DVD drive is just there to run cd's. And sometimes DVD audio.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

Do you really need an Ultra? I bought the CL Annihilator2 and it works wonders for me. However, my system is holding me back now (only get around 2000 marks in 3DMark2000) so I am gonna upgrade my system. Is it really worth spending all that money when in a few months you'll want a different card (NV20 is comin out sometime but is gonna be pretty expensive) even then I wouldn't spend that much on a Video card.

I don't mean to dicourage you but when I was shopping around for a car, I asked myself if I really need an Ultra - to me it more of "HEHEHE.. I have an Ultra Card" Response:"OOOOOOOOOOOOO"

It's a never-ending battle.. now it's 64MB soon to be 128.. a little crazy don't ya think (I only have 64MB system RAM in this comp)

Anyhoo.. I'm just goin on and on..

I have always liked nVidia products (my other card was a 4MB Riva128) and I think they have real good driver updating (unless you are a poor man who has a Riva chip)

Sounds like you are in for more of gaming.. go for the nVidia chip.

If at really high res (like over 1280X1024) then you will need an Ultra but whats the point at running it that high? Do you really need to?

Just to let ya know.. it took me a few months to actually find the card I wanted (plus it helped that I was able to get the CLA2 for 180 and free shipping)

I feel the same as Paragon. There's always going to be something around the corner, teasing you to spend more money. My system is holding me back also. I have a Visiontek GF2 32MB. It works fine. On my 19" monitor, I don't think 1600x1200 resolution is very comfortable to game with or do much of anything. So I keep it @ 1280x1068 most of the time.

I dunno, maybe the radeon has more features for the future but that's only if those features are used. Besides, you can bet all the new cards coming out in a few months will have THOSE features and more.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

I think the Radeon is a good chipset for a graphics card... like with all ATI chipsets it seems versitile enough for all of their cards, like the All-In-Wonder... A friend of mine, whose opinion I Respect, likes ATI and the chips, but he says he would probably stick with an nVidia product for the speed, support, and how well they work with their drivers...

But I also agree with Paragon and XPhys.. Wait a bit, if you still like that card, the price will come down, and if you dont, something newer, better and faster will come out... I generally dont buy something expensive unless I can get someone else to pay for it for me smile.gif Such as the new motherboard and processor that I am getting smile.gif

i have a radeon 64 MB DDR, love every bit of it. but i will admit, compared to it's competition, it's slow. out of the box it runs at 183 Mhz. i have really crappy ram that gets the worst benchmarks i've ever seen in my system, and a crappy motherboard, (all to be upgraded in 2 days) and i get benchmarks of around 4,000 (3dmark2000) that's pretty good for the situation. after i upgrade, i'm going to replace the fan on it and add ram heatsinks and try overclocking. i've heard of people getting to 215 Mhz on the retail fan and still running stable. so i'm very excited. with good case cooling as well, i'm hoping to get the max of 4x AGP (266 Mhz) with that, i think this will be one hell of a card to contend with. also love the software with it.

The Radeon competes with the GF2 GTS, not the Ultra. The Ultra's a waste of money anyway. Buy a GF2 Pro. Performance is almost as good as an Ultra, but roughly 150 - 200$ cheaper. Even a 64 MB GTS would be enough. I agree with everyone else, buy a 200 - 250$ card now, use until the NV20 prices come down, then buy one of those.

I agree with Dman on his point on the Pro. As for the NV20, I have heard prices of up to $600 (not sure if they are tru tho so don't hold then as fact) I got my 32MB GF2 (CLA2) because of the deal and also because with teh money you will save, you can spend on a better card in the future when teh GTS (or GTS Pro) is startign to hold you back (like my Riva128 was)