right channel of amp is haunted...

That's right.

The right channel of my aging Luxman LV-117 (no, it's not the one with the tubed pre-amp section) integrated amplifier is frugal with its participation with the RF-3's; at least the one in charge of the right channel. The right channel cuts in and out at odd, but predictable moments. It plays well for a good hour or so after powering, then it quickly, but not immediately, loses the signal. Thereafter, the more dynamic portions of the sound at hand (be it from the cd player or the television) cause the amp to be faithful to its duty during, and only during, those dynamic passages. For example, when watching one of those contemporary flicks on the tele (from a cable signal) that emphasize the soundtrack by peppering the movie with music videos -- the musicals of the current youth -- and one of the songs emphasized by the flick gains volume as the primary track of the scene, the song comes through in two channels without distortion or an erratic signal. Then, when the video simmers down and we are taken back to the laughable dialogue and absurd situations, the right channel retires and the left is holding the bag that was the soundstage. Increasing the volume does not solve or remedy the problem, but enabling "loudness" (emphasis of the lower and upper regions of the frequency range) seems to put off the inevitable for a half-hour or so when listening to the cd-player (guided by voices kicks sea-bass' ***). I know it's not the RF-3's, because I got the same crap from headphones out of the amp (and I got no problems with headphones out of the CD player, if you were worried about it...).

So I was hopin' somebody could give me a start on how to diagnose the bastard LV-117, so I won't have to play the non-refundable-downpayment-slow-deduction-game with Custom Electronics. Point me to the tools and the disease, and I'll do the cutting (or soldering, as it were).

Distant One suggested some time ago that the right channel might be subject to DC contamination arising from a dry connection somewhere, but I wouldn't be able to figure it out where to look more closely than the electronics accessible by merely removing the top of the case (which revealed nothing obviously wrong to my totally ignorant examination).

Please, if you have such knowledge, share with an idiot who has commited to purchasing a vehicle prior to ordering the Wright 2A3 monoblocks and the Wright line stage. Save me from a summer of struggle!

Thanks for your time.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Prana-Bindu, that Luxman isn't haunted but it is getting on in years. Your problem is actually pretty simple.

You have a connection somewhere in the amp that is dirty and no longer low resistance. This is quite common in components with a few years on them, especially if they have been used in higher humidity, higher dust conditions. The switch contacts on parts like the input selector, tape monitor switch, tone controls and the like get dirty and present a high resistance path for the audio signal. The low level signal cannot overcome the increased resistance so you hear nothing during lower level passages. When the signal reaches peak levels, it can overcome the resistance and that channel plays.

To cure for free: 1. Turn the amp OFF. 2. Rotate EVERY knob on the amp all the way up and down 100 times. 3. Run every switch (not the power switch) on the amp back and forth 100 times. 4. Make sure all your settings are normal and turn the amp back on. It should work fine as all of this rotating and switching will have wiped the contacts clean.

To cure at a moderate cost: Take the amp to a local service center or to a friend who knows electronics and use TV tuner cleaner on all the internal switch contacts and REPEAT the process outlined above to clean all the contacts. Some of the switch contacts, like the main volume knob, may be sealed and not reachable with the contact cleaner. This process can be repeated as often as necessary to keep the contacts clean.

Feel free to send any $ you would have used on a new amp to the BobG Poverty Fund. ;-)

I can't believe it's not butter!

Thank you very much for the frighteningly clear solution.

100 times....

I shall try the switching in conjunction with the contact cleaner. Of course, the ball-'n-chain will have to be away at the time, or I will likely get the thing taken away from me.

BobG: Indeed I am in extensive debt to you for your help (here and in other matters), but the money that otherwise would have been spent on a new amp will be spent on a new amp. When other expenses are taken care of (right...), I intend to try out the Wright 3.5 wpc monoblocks. First, I gotta get the car. Then, I gotta get the khakis. Get the car, the khakis, and then you get the chicks. You get all that, then you get the monoblocks. Sounds like a plan.

Thank you. You guys can drive my car, wearing my khakis, with my chickens, to listen to the Wright's whenever you want!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....