Should an Academy on a 55" Mits be tilted?

chuckears

I have had a KLF-C7 sitting on my Mitsubishi (LOVE that big-cabinety box of an RPTV) since the day it was delivered... I have used the downward-tilt feature, seeming to think that it gave a better-imaged soundstage. Well the C7 is on its way out, with a pretty black Academy soon to be taking its place.

I recall that the Academy does not have the tilting adjustment bolts; can anyone with experience in setting this speaker on top of their RPTV speak to the advantages or necessity of tilting it downward? Or am I just over-thinking this, killing time until I get my nice, better-matched-to-my-Fortes Academy?

Did I mention I'm getting an Academy? Black, just like my Mitsubishi...

9.gif

Yes you should tilt the new speaker down as well. That is why I built my center with roughly a 12 degree angle on the front baffle:

my_center_finished.jpg

The amount of angle you need depends on how high your couch sits, how tall you are, and how far away you are from the speaker. I used some string, a large right angle, and a little math to figure out the approximate angle I needed. Since you aren't building this angle into an enclosure like I was, you have the luxury of just eye-ball it.

You will have to consider the distance from seating area too.

My previous Academy Center was tilted downnward using styrofoam panels. The bottom one was cut slightly smaller than the length and width of the Academy. I then cut a peace about 3-4" in depth & the same width as the bottom panel. This gave me a good angle for 26' seating distance from the front. Glued the smaller peace to the top and rear of the bottom styrofoam panel. Had the choice of painting or covering the panels as I desired.

Chuck-

Congrats on the Academy. Sounds like you got a very good deal on it, especially considering eBay prices. I paid $325 for mine and was very happy. You'll love the soundstage the Forte/Academy trio gives you.

As others mentioned, the Academy does not have feet. I bought a shelf at the local "Get Organized" store which has adjustable feet in the back. That rests on my TV, and then I have the speaker angled to my listening location. The system does pretty well and doesn't move/slide with high HT volumes.

Congrats again. Now we better get Bev one so she can enjoy audio nirvana too.

----------------

On 4/29/2003 9:43:11 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

----------------

Yes I already said that, "The amount of angle you need depends on how high your couch sits, how tall you are, and how far away you are from the speaker. "

jhawk...thanks for the sentiment! I'm sooooo envious, I can't wait to have an Academy of my own.

Chuck, I only hope I don't have to wait as long as you did!

Ok y'all...here's your mission: find me an Academy!!!!

Bev

----------------

On 4/29/2003 4:33:05 PM STL wrote:

----------------

On 4/29/2003 9:43:11 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

----------------

Yes I already said that,
"The amount of angle you need depends on how high your couch sits, how tall you are, and
how far away you are from the speaker
"

----------------

Sorry, my bad. Time for a bifocal upgrade.

jhawk...

my system is alot like yours...

Chorus II's in front, Forte II's in back,

Optimus Pro LX5 Linaeum's for FX...

all I'm missing is the Academy!!!!

I was soooo certain I was going to use another Forte II as a center, that I actually passed on an Academy once...I am sooooo kicking myself for that now!

I have an Academy on my MITS 55" and it sounds great from about 12' as is.

You have got to think about placing a glass top on your TV though, the weight of the Academy over time will make the partical board of the MITS sag and warp. The glass will help spread the weight out evenly.

I got a great smoked glass top for around $70 at a car glass replacement center, and it looks great as well as being functional.

GOOD LUCK!

LEEROY

Leroy,

Has anyoneever confirmed that the particle board will warp? I have had a KLF-C7 on my Mits for a year now, with no seeming sag; I am aware of another forum member who has had a KLF30 (must be over 60 pounds) on his 65" Mits for some time. I'm not denying what Mitsubishi recommends, I am just curious as to whether or not there is any real-world confirmation (remember: this is the same company that doesn't think we are worried about the 25% red push on their RPTVs)...