Subwoofer Thoughts or Recommendations?

cjdubose

I have a pair of fairly new Heresy IIs driven by the Conrad Johnson/Sonographe SA250/SC26 amp and preamp combination. I really enjoy the sound, but am interested in possibly getting a subwoofer to get some additional low end. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Heresy IIs match well with a subwoofer? The system is used exclusively for music -no HT. Haven't really set a price range yet, but would hope to limit it to maybe $1000 for used equipment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks -

Heresies will blend with most good subs. Klipsch has a good one or 2 and a nice RSW Series coming soon. Be sure to get one powerful enough to operate without strain and therefore excessive disortion. This is one of those "you'll just have to listen for yourself" things.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I recently added an SVS 20-39cs to my Heresy's and I couldn't be more pleased with it's performance with music. I was afraid the tight midbass of the Heresy's would be covered up by the addition of a subwoofer but the SVS has proven to be a fantastic match. Tight and accurate with no resonance or sloppiness whatsoever.

See my review over on the HTF

Another Satisfied SVS Owner

------------------

--Elliott--

If you take a look at the Audioreview site most people with Heresy's are matching them to the KSW 12 and are perfectly happy with the results.

Having said that I have a friend with Heresy's and 2 KSW 15's - but he is barking mad!!

Gotta love that Heresy though! Personally I do not feel the need for extra bass but each to their own...

with your budget, you should be able to get some very nice subs - slide on over to the sub woofer forum and search the pages - I like used, close-outs and internet models, Tom Nousine says in the recent Sound & Vision that the Polk PSW650 is a good buy, for about $650 new, but Velodyne and HSU look good to me also, one thing is for sure, you will love what it does for your music and movies ...

I just received an Adire Audio Rava sub it was $399 plus shipping from Seatle Washington.

Sealed 60 pound cabinet with oak veneer 12 inch front firing woofer 275 watt amp at 4 ohms.

I was between this one and the HSU VTF sub.

I have not listened to it alot yet; but the build appears to be very robust. It kind of reminded me of an M&K sealed design for about one third of the price. I figured if I do not like it I can start changing out the driver for something more exotic.

The base is a square of .75 inch mdf. Has anyone had any success spiking the bottom of a sub? I have carpet on top of a concrete slab in the family room, I have only just set the subs on the carpet in the past.

For the guy with Heresy's and 2 KSW-15's who is barking mad...

I read somewhere that using two subwoofers usually ends up resulting in inferior sound. Not always, but usually. Something to do with the way the two subs will usually interact. Again, a real expert could probably get it right, but in most cases (I read, but don't remember where) the result is worse than just having a single good sub.

--rgdawsonco

My experience with 2 subs has been that they smooth out the nulls of each other and overall bass is better throughout the room. Mine are in each front corner. I can't see any reason to assume multiple subs should be inferior at all.

John cwm12.gif