The Joys of a Timbre-Matched System, or...

chuckears

...My Sixteen-Month Search for An Academy Comes to an End

I won't bore anyone with the backstory; anyone who has messed around on this forum probably already knows how difficult it is to find one of these; you probably also know why many Heritage owners seek these babies out... it was the only center channel speaker made by Klipsch that matched the Heritage speakers. These same Heritage speakers are still owned and enjoyed by original buyers, as well as those who came by their Heritage speakers second-hand. And while there is a pretty persuasive argument that only a third speaker matched to your mains is going to, well, match your mains, the Academy is as close you can get, and still have the center channel package (without modding a single Forte\Chorus\Quartet\Heresy\what-have-you).

The story is very short: a guy put one for sale on ebay... he was selling most of his system due to a move to a smaller location. I contacted him within 24 hours, and made an offer, and asked if he could end the auction early. Saves time, stress, and he knows right away, and up front, what he is going to get for this one item.

He and I talked on the phone (I always like to speak directly to someone to whom I am sending a few hundred dollars), and wrapped it all up last Monday. I sent payment, he sent speaker, and a nice box came to my door this evening.

So how does it sound? And how does it compare to the KLF-C7 that has been my joy to own for a little over a year?

I'll get to that later...

Pretty much covers it for me ! I do however expect that others will jump in and offer other opinions.

LOL

Your original post was a blank. I decided to make a smartass response and then when I clicked I saw your original post. OOPS!

...and we're back!.

(BTW, no pics... I don't own a digital camera. It's black; in very nice, nearly mint condition. Oh, and sorry about that fake first post, LynnM... I think I hit the ENTER button by mistake)

I have listened to just a few selections... even with the pink noise during the level calibration, I could tell that it matched my Fortes better than the C7. Obviously, I had to turn the level up a few notches, since the Academy has a lower sensitivity rating.

The soundstage is more natural; panning from left to right, in particular. And while the overall sound is not quite as "loud" or "bright" as the C7, vocals are very clear and natural. I can see why the KLF series is touted with almost as much enthusiasm as the Heritage... the C7 has a nice, forward sound (I'm almost out of adjectives) that I also enjoy. But, given that I don't plan to let go of my Fortes, the Academy seems to be the better choice.

I still have not decided whether or not to tilt the unit forward (it's sitting pretty high up on my Mits); I look forward to tweaking and testing in the next several days.

And Bev, we're still looking for you...

Bev's all good - her Academy problem has been solved.

Glad to hear that you like the results, chuckears. I am especially impressed at the dialogue of the Academy - it gets this right with the Heritage mains. You will notice a bit of difference with the sensitivity - which the test tones/SPL meter will solve.

My only complaint with the Academy was with heavy music material from the center - such as The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over", at high SPL. The drums come through that center channel. For it's size, it is quite robust though - much better than it's size would indicate.

Unquestionably the best solution for those who want a heritage match, and can go no larger on the center speaker.

How big is the academy? I currently have an RC3II center with my cornwall fronts due to WAF and I'm not overjoyed with the match. She won't let me buy a heresy for center because it's too big. Is the academy (never seen one) reasonably small to allow for a positive wife feedback?

Gary, I use an Academy in the sixth position in an otherwise 6.1 Heritage multi-channel system. I have tried the Academy as a center with Cornwalls and it's the best match I have found in a small speaker. Actually, a pair of Cornwalls and the Academy have worked as the rear array for an array of a pair of Klipschorns and a Belle up front.

While the Cornwalls and Academy work well up front for playing CD's... playing a DVD really calls for somehthing equal to your best speaker being in the middle... because that's were over 75% of the sound will be coming from in a movie.

As always, the best timbre matches come for same size cabinet, same porting arrangement, same sort of speakers... and no di-bi-triPoleCats in the litter! =HornED

PS: Congrats Chuckears... it couln't happen to a more patient Academy buyer.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't give a rats a$$ about the timbre quality of our home theater. I am constrained by size and can convince her to add 3" in height to go from the rf3II to the academy. Personally I'd rather put a lascala in the center and set the tv on that but like I said......

I hate to beat this topic to death, but I have been reading a lot of posts this week on this and other forums; people who are still assembling their HT systems wondering how important it is to match the center to the mains...

After watching only a handful of films after introducing the Academy to my system, I have been impressed by how the speakers have seemed to disappear. With the excellent (but unmatched to my mains) KLF-C7, I could pick out not only the center channel, but the differences between it and the mains also made my mains "stick out"; with the matched system, I forget about speakers altogether, and just enjoy the movie. I can't stress enough how important this is, if you care about sound and enjoying your source to the fullest.

Yeah Chuckears - I have been on other boards and have taken some shots recently on both my stance on having a center speaker and the need for timbre matching. I can only assume these folks have never heard a timbre matched, well set up good center speaker. If they had and still profess that they have better sound otherwise or continue to downplay the results compared to their favorite mismatched speaker, then they go on my list of folks to not listen to.

There is absolutely (and those that know me well know I rarely speak in such dogmatic terms) no better HT sound than well setup, timbre matched center speakers. The added benefit for many of us is the center fill for music, with out losing stereo imaging integrity. To become HornEd's 'Minnie me' you go the step forward and timbre match you sides as well and you get folks raving about your HT - even those that previously called horns harsh, earbleeding abnormalities...

Wow - the caffiene must be extra special this morning. I rarely wake up in such an evagelistic mood....

This is all really great information but WHERE THE HELL DO I FIND AN ACADEMY DAMMIT!!!!!! You would think with all the heritage owners out there that klipsch would make a matching center speaker. Why did they discontinue the academy?

Sadly, it would be cheaper and easier to find a Cornwall to use as your center channel. I have my Sony 43" HDTV sitting on top of my center La Scala, it is about 6" taller than the original stand was, and it works real well. A huge jump from the KV-4 that previously resided on top of the TV. I have a pair of extremely rare Acoustron LWE-IA's that can be used as center channels, they are narrow (depth-wise) the EV T-35 is already mounted vertically, they have a CTS 15" Woofer that was also used by Klipsch and have a 6" CTS cone midrange that would provide great dispersion. Efficiency is 96-97db @ lW @ lM, think of it as Cornwall bass in a package the size of a Heresy (Sealed Enclosure). They also feature a Room Gain adjustment along with the Tweeter and Midrange Level adjustments to fine tune output. I would let the pair go for $250, they are extrememly heavy! (65 lbs) apiece. I would be using one if I did not already have a La Scala. Just a thought!