My LaScalas look like Cornwalls!!!!!!!!!

Johnny dB

Well I just returned from my grueling road trip up to Rochester, NY, to pick up my new La Scalas from dodger.

18 hours straight thru plus a blow out on a new Minivan rental.7.gif

Anyway, I like the full grill on this particular pair. They're unfinished birch and were made in '75. Dodger was the only owner of these and had a letter stating that less than 20 of these were made with the full grills. He also got Paul Klipsch autographs on address labels and attached them to the rears. In really decent shape. I have some sanding and staining to do on these before they come into the house, though.

post-11495-13819247310492_thumb.jpg

John,

Thanks for sharing the pic's. I went thru Dayton this weekend to Pittsburgh. Got to experience your wonderful (wet) weather!

Beautiful speakers! Question- on the second picture-what is the Brown, round part in the electrical part of the picture??

What type stain or oil are you going to use?

Again-great speakers.....Congrats.

Bill & NOZ,

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't know exactly what that is, it's part of the type AA crossovers. I'm sure someone here knows.

I haven't decided on a stain or finish. Any suggestions? Should I just stain or stain and poly-urethane them?

Thats the 2.5 Hmhy woofer inductor, you know what, 2 things, the la scalas never looked better with full grills, i like it, they should of made them this way, keep kids and pets out of them, 2nd thing, i would of sold them, only to get k-horns! Dodger will miss these!

Regards Jim9.gif

John,

Stick with Min wax,Brand, just like your wood finish in the picture. Sure you know this, but sample a spare piece of wood, to ensure you like the color....... If married, Check w/wife, to ensure it matches the furniture............Good luck....

Jim,

At least the woofer is protected behind the plywood on an LS. Not so on the Cornwall, with only the grill cloth to protect it. Probably split a head pretty easily if one of the kids would fall into your LS. Back when I was a we tyke I fell into a kitchen cabinet. Just hit the flat surface of a door and split my head open. I haven't been the same since. 9.gif

I do think they must look insanely huge with all that grill cloth.

Marvel

When you are ready to start staining, either use a coat of clear (natural) stain, or the preconditioner. Birch will stain unevenly otherwise. Then add the stain, remove excess with cheesecloth, repeat as many times as required to get an even colour you like. If you put it on and wipe off quickly, you get a lighter colour. The more you leave it on, the darker it gets.

Then finish with whatever you want, varnish, Watco oil or a satin polyurethane. If you use urethane, then you must sand between coats with a very fine sandpaper (the higher numbers are better, 300+ grit). There is also a paste urethane, but it is messy. The results do look good with it, I used it on a china cabinet, washstand and a bookcase. A brush is easier.

John,

Thanks for posting the pics. Cool. Esp. PWK's autograph. As for the full grills, they sure do look like Cornwalls!

My father, rest his soul, would have declared: "That's as cute as a monkey's a$$, neat, but not gawdy!"2.gif

Looking forward to your "after" pictures when you get the finishing project done.

Regards,

Dee

John, Another option is to stain them to the color of your choice and then oil them (nice and much easier than poly IMO). I just did that with a maple tv stand. I just used boiled linseed oil over the stain and it gave it a really nice sheen. One thick coat, wiping off excess. Next day more wiping as it all had not soaked in. 2 days later, completely dried and beautiful. With birch, no matter what you do, use the pre-stain treatment for softer wood. I would get a piece of raw birch and do some experimenting, especially if you're trying to match other furniture. Good luck.

John!

So you are the one that he sold the other pair to!

I picked up his other pair of LaScalas last weekend! Drove 10 hours round drip from Montreal!.... I wanted his Heresys too.. but he would not sell!. I just won some Heresys on Ebay... Now I need a Center!

Edmond Zauner

Montreal

----------------

On 5/12/2003 1:24:48 PM Johnny dB wrote:

Mine still doesn't want them in the house. She says they're just ugly boxes.
7.gif

----------------

I know the feeling. Out of nowhere, my wife over the weekend said I could get new speakers to replace her old Sanyo speakers (The very ones the belles had replaced). However, she made it quit clear she didn't want any ugly boxes in the house. Got approval for some RF7s though which is fine for me. They are a much better fit for my living room that the belles were, I like them, they look and sound great and won't have issues with the WAF. It's a win win situation. 1.gif If and when I purchase some, i will be trouling around all of DeanG's posts on ideas on how to get them to thier full potiential.