6.2 setup with Philips AE or Hercules XP Theatre

skim

Hey guys,

Just want to know if anybody has setup a 6.2 ( 4.1 + 2.1 or v.2-400 + 2.1) with either a Philips AE and Hercules XP Theatre sound card. I'm tired of Soundblaster Live! cards with their incompatibility issues ( i.e. VIA chipsets). I want to try something different anyway. The only problem with the Hercules XP Theatre card is that it's way more expensive than the Philips AE and the center channel input - while the Klipsch speakers use the mini-plug (1/8 stereo input jacks), the Hercules XP only has the RCA input. It is possible to get a an adapter, but I am concerned with the performance; will the adapter affect the sound quality or is it unnoticeable? Overall, I have read many reviews stating that the Hercules XP rocks and it's worth the buy. I have also heard many good things about Philips AE - it sounds more "clear" than the Soundblaster Platinum and less hiss is heard from the speakers. The advantage to this card is that it does have the mini-plug input for the center channel. Need more bass, need more power! Help me out here guys. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

I'm really not very familiar with the quality difference between the two

cards you're interested in. The 2.1s will work great as a center

channel--it would be best to get a card that supports the center with a 1/8"

mini plug connections---any time you use adapters or extension cables,

you'll potentially dimish sound quality a little (usually not much).

It would be best to post this topic on or bulletin board to discuss this

with other Klipsch owners who have potentially used these cards.

Thank you,

Amy Platt

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

Like I said let me know what you think.

Just set up the 4/1's with the game theater... If I read your question correctly I think you might be mistaken on the inputs. On the back of the GT, there is a connector for front and surround that takes the 4.1 connectors just fine. They sound great! Although cd's only play thru the fronts...

The game theater would be better for use with the 2.1's as the center channel. It actually has separate outputs for center and the sub. The AE has an 1/8" plug that has center on one channel and the sub on the other channel. That would make the 2.1's only use one channel for the center and one channel for the sub. Pretty pointless! With the Game Theater with the adaptor, both channels of the 2.1's would be playing the center channel sound. With either card you'll actually still need an adaptor, but the adaptor doesn't really degrade the sound quality at all. I have to use an adaptor with my santa cruz and it doesn't affect the sound quality at all. If I were you I would go for the Game Theater over the Phillips. I think it sounds better than the AE, plus that break out box it has is awesome!