MCM 1900 Tweeters

ChrisCKidd

Hi, I have a set of MCM 1900 PA Speakers.I have (2) MWM duals, (4 ) MWM Splits (2) MSSMs (2) MSMs and (2) MTMs. Quad amplified (2 amp channels per side for the MWMs, 1 for the MSSM, 1 for the MSM and MTM. XOVER: Low to 100HZ,

Low to 250HZ, 250HZ to 600 hz, 600HZ to High Limit.

A problem developed with the MTMs. Drove them just a little too hard. Their crossovers utilize an air core choke, an iron core choke, and a capacitor. The air core chokes over heated and should be replaced and also a couple of the piezo drivers seem to be not as loud as the others when I auditioned them individually. I'm considering replacing all of these so they'll match. Are these chokes available through the parts department or can someone tell me what the correct value is for these chokes? I think that the crossover point was designed for 6 khz. I figure that the piezo drivers are just standard motorolas and can probably be obtained through a parts house.

Also I was wondering about locating some MMTMs which I believe was an alternative to the MTMs. The MMTMs supposedly were designed for longer throw applications and utilized either 2 or 4 compression drivers and either 1 or 2 horns per speaker stack. Could I obtain the correct compression drivers and horns and the balancing networks? I could build my own enclosures. Does anyone have any information or any pictures of these? The literature that I have mentions them but is more specific about the MTMs.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

These speaker stacks still sound really good to me and the bass that the 15" s provide is incredible. I would just like to improve the top end with real compression drivers and horns versus the piezoelectrics. I have enjoyed and used Klipsch speakers since my 1st set of Heresys for 15 + years through 2 pairs of La Scalas and the MCM 1900s and a pair of KP 320's. The clarity and performance is simply unrivaled as far as I'm concerned.

1.gif1.gif1.gif

Just a thought... With the clearity and safety of an electronic crossover today, capable of sending a clean signal of ONLY what you want to the enclosure.... Why would you not go this way?

Look at THE DRIVE RACK system from Harmon/JBL,,, It is a all in one unit...Including other things you might be able to use too. Hope this helps!

----------------

On 5/13/2003 1:09:55 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Just a thought... With the clearity and safety of an electronic crossover today, capable of sending a clean signal of ONLY what you want to the enclosure.... Why would you not go this way?

Look at THE DRIVE RACK system from Harmon/JBL,,, It is a all in one unit...Including other things you might be able to use too. Hope this helps!

----------------

Indy,

You're right. The Drive Rack is impressive. Its a 1 x6 or 2x3 configuration I believe. The individual limiters on each out would definitely be a plus. I have experience with similar BSS units with other systems. The Ashly Crossovers I'm using now could be configured for Mono 5 way and there is a spare amp channel in each rack. It was easier to hook it up 4 way because of the 8 pin multi cable from the rack to each speaker stack. (Each rack has an Ashly crossover, Powersoft 4 channel amp and a Yorkville ARP 4040 2 channel amp. Each rack is never more than 20 feet from each stack ). The Klipsch brochure said that the MTM could be paralleled with the MSM and I just assumed that it picked up where the MSM's response rolled off, being limited only by the internal passive xover of the MTM. Guess I figured that adding an amp channel for a 30 watt piezo array might be guilding the lilly a bit. Would love to have 2 drive racks and have them remoted to FOH but I'd have to have another 10 channel snake for all the amp returns. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris