DLP Projector

mmiles

Looking for a resource site for DLP projectors. Something similar to plasmatvbuyingguide.com for plasmas.

The Sharp, Yamaha and DWIN have caught my eye. Of course I'd like to have a RUNCO but I'm getting married soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Mike

I have the Sharp Z9000. If you have total control of room lighting, ie. you can make it very dark, this projector is out of this world. I picked mine up slightly used from a dealer with 400 hrs. on the bulb for $3500. That was a steal. The picture, particularly HDTV is flawless.

If, however, you have your theater in a room where lighting is a problem, look for a DLP projector with a high lumen rating.

The room has two single windows at each end of the room. There is a door that can be shut during veiwing periods. I have looked at wooden "hurricane" looking type shudders for the inside (yes I know the "hurricane" style shudder is for outside use but I said "looking" remember) that should knock down 75%+ of daylight so it's obvious night time veiwing will not be a problem.

I think I'll try projectorcentral.com since they are not brand bias. However I will visit the other forums if I can remember my password...:)

Regards,

Mike

Mike:

If the type of shade is not an issue, I would suggest a theater black out shade. My wife got one for me, it is one of those accordian style shades. When down, the room goes totally black.

Let me know if you are interested and I will look into it further. With you able to control light, you can easily use 800 or more lumens. As I said, my Z9000 is spectacular in picture quality and flexability.

...and i will send out a WARNING:

DLP projectors MAY cause headaches,eyestrain,or nausea in SOME individuals, and 'rainbows' may be visible,which i find very distracting. i didn't know what all the fuss was about until i brought one home for a weekend. no one had a problem like headaches/eyestrain, but when someone stood up in front of me and i shifted my vision, i saw a rainbow, and from that point on, i saw them often.

my advise is to also consider LCD, like the pj i have, the sony vpl-hs10, and you should buy from a store w/a liberal return policy so you can spend some time w/your pj before you are 'married' to it.

avman.

The above is solid advice.

I have the Infocus X1 its solid, I see the rainbows, but its something I've been able to ignore, they don't bother me at all. And with the higher speed color wheels I hear they are becoming even less of a problem.

I still can't get over how great projectors are. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back... its sad really.

I have been lucky, I have never noticed any artifacts or physical problems with DLP. Of course I have only had the one projector. My neighbor who lives across the street works at InFocus. He can see flaws in DLP just like Neo can read the Matrix code. He is always trying to point out flaws to me, but I don't let him. I don't wanna know. This is definitly a situation where ignorance is bliss. 9.gif