Just hooked up....where's the midrange? Disappointed...

DefBringer

Well, I'm cursed with pretty good ears too. But I didn't expect an audiophile system...I just expected something superior to all the other "multimedia" systems, and this one really isn't. The little Boston Acoustic BA636 speakers are less than half the size of the Klipsch yet they have *much* more accurate midrange. In fact, the more I listen to the Klipsch I discover just how "canned" the midrange is...it really sounds awful. It almost sounds as if all my music is being downsampled and played back to me.

This is the price I paid by trusting computer gaming websites (that know nothing whatsoever of audio) to recommend a set of speakers. These ARE great for games...no question, but I'd appreciate it if more websites would bring attention to the fact that these sound very different from Altec Lansings, Cambridge, and Boston Acoustics offerings.

I'm still "burning in" my speakers and hope something jarrs into place before my 14 day return period is up.

Just thought i'd post my thoughts.

Although it's true, i do find if i crank my pro's way up there's a lot of treble in the sound (playing mp3's). That's about over 75% volume.

But still i've come to appreciate the crispness of these speakers. When i work on my puter and have the tv tuner on, at low levels the sound is just superb. Even my friend's noticed the clearness of the sound.

My tunes?: From CSNY and other 60's stuff to Deep Purple, Sabbath, Slayer, Motorhead(Orgasmatron kills on my pro's),and finally Hole, Kid Rock and a little bit of Limp Bizkit(not to much though).

My pro's can deffinately fill my cravings for earripping sound.

Don't even get me started with gaming, there's nothing better.

(in the pc speaker dep.)

Of course you can't compare with a receiver and HT speakers, but if a person wants HT sound, they should equip themselves with HT stuff.

You can't make your $30,000 sports car run like a $150,000 sports car, unless your pour tones of money on it and realize that you should have bought the $150,000 car in the first place.

(price is just an example)

These babies ROCK!!!

Many people have complained in the past about the "lack" of midrange. Having had experience with Boston Acoustics speakers before, I agree with Insane3D about the Klipsch midrange. It's there, it's just a different sound.

You can say the the Promedias tend to "color" the sound, but please don't compare them to Bose. If they were anything like Bose, they would color the sound 4 times as much and cost 4 times as much. I've had my Pros for well over a year now. They do sound better over time, but I didn't notice a real difference for about 3 months. I don't think 14 days will be enough unless you burn them in with pink noise.

What I did to rectify the "midrange" problem was to add an external EQ to the front channels. I used a PPI PEQ-114 4-band parametric EQ. This is far superior to any software EQ, and I got a steal on it for $40 (normally $150).

I've also just recieved a pair of Quintet sats that will replace my Pros front sats. These have a 3.5" woofer and are ported out the back. I will report on how they sound soon.

I made this statement over a year ago, and I still believe it to be true today..."You can't buy a better sounding 4.1 multimedia system for less". In fact, like you said, you would need to spend twice as much to sound better. At $250 (or $200 in your case), the Pros are a steal. I can't wait for Klipsch to release a true 5.1 multimedia system. I'd preorder now if they'd let me.

I don't believe anyone here thinks that the Pros are the best sounding speakers on the planet. That would be stupid. They are, however, an extremely good value. That is the strong point of the Pros, IMO.

c>

------------------

Who knows what evil lurks in the darkness of The Kave ?

www.thekave.net Home of The Klipschmonster!

quote:

Originally posted by KBlair:

I've also just recieved a pair of Quintet sats that will replace my Pros front sats. These have a 3.5" woofer and are ported out the back. I will report on how they sound soon.

c>

oh, wow i was wondering if that was possible, and i was thinking about doing that. i'm very interested in what you come up with! smile.gif

He He... I did preview a number of different speakers that were available (at the time home speakers). Now... although the bass is not what you expect to hear from the newer models, my Bose am-5's were against JBL's, Infinitys, OHM's, Cerwin Vegas, and many others during the listening session. Obviously I must just be stupid and don't know sound, but against these in side by side comparisons, I brought home the Bose speaks and NEVER had the first problem with them in the 10+ years I've had them. Like I said, if I wanna listen to classical, I'll go to the living room... They're still gentle to my soul!

Hey guys, just thought I'd add to the debate about the tinny highs...

I recently listened to some of the old mp3s i dled when I had my 36k modem. they are all 128 bit, and some of them are pretty badly ripped.

Well, I found out that on almost all of them, the highs were unbearably tinny. Whether that is due to mp3 compression or a bad rip I'm still not sure about, but i do know that now that I listen exclusively to 160 bit or higher mp3s, i don't have this problem at all.

So I guess you should try them with higher quality material. If you were listening to a CD then I guess this is not the reason and you just don't like the Klipsch sound...

Ok I have a question?? How do you tell how good the midrange is? IM only 18 years old and I got these speakers like almost a year ago I think. I think these speakers are like a dream come true. THEY BUMP. My friends come over and love them. I have Mp3s and most of them are all at 128kbs and they sound so awesome. Im not seeing how you tell if its good or bad midrange I think they sound freaking awesome!!!!!!!

I've had these speakers for a year about now and I'm finally starting to get a little more critical. There is no debate that these are a steal at the $250 price point but eventually the upgrade bug bites. I want use some HTD Level Threes, or maybe Paradigm Titans on the front channels. They would be powered by the sub. Only problem is the midrange. It's virtually non-existent when i hook different speakers other then pro's to them. Has anyone tried replacing or modifying the crossover in the pro's??? It would be great to give the pro's a little more midrange but also be able to use the integrated amp for my new set of speakers. Thanks

Admiral Koresh's post points to the crossover as the culprit for the midrange problem in the Promedia's. Maybe they dropped the low midrange out of the satellites and into the sub, which probably can't reproduce them as well as the low thumping bass. I've heard Klipsch modified the crossover in the 2.1 Promedia system, maybe they'll do the same for the .2-400's.

Here is an interesting response to the question of how to adjust the crossover of the system. Looks like quite the undertaking and I don't think with my limited knowledge would be able to do it. But I guess the reasoning behind wanting so badly to adjust it is because I would prefer to not have to buy a receiver to power the set of speakers I want to buy and to make the already pretty good sounding klipsh's sound better

anyways...interesting read. http://headwize.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000791.html

quote:

I've had these speakers for a year about now and I'm finally starting to get a little more critical. There is no debate that these are a steal at the $250 price point but eventually the upgrade bug bites. I want use some HTD Level Threes, or maybe Paradigm Titans on the front channels. They would be powered by the sub. Only problem is the midrange. It's virtually non-existent when i hook different speakers other then pro's to them. Has anyone tried replacing or modifying the crossover in the pro's??? It would be great to give the pro's a little more midrange but also be able to use the integrated amp for my new set of speakers. Thanks

Hooking up any non-promedia speakers to the sub is a big No-No. The amp in the promedia sub is specifically designed to be used with the promedia satellites, and I would highly discourage plugging anything else in there. You will need to use a separate amp for any standalone speakers.

If you plan on upgrading to new speakers, then I don't see why you would want to use promedias. The promedia sub is a poor match for anything besides the pro satelites, considering the high 250hz crossover. The crossover for the titans and HTDs is around 60hz-70hz, which is a considerable amount of overlapping, if coupled with the pro sub. You could try using an external EQ, but for the price of a decent EQ you could buy a new sub.

My suggestion would be to get some nice canadian satellites(paradigm, NHT, PSB, although you should listen to any speakers you would consider buying), a decent sub(such as the Sony SA-WM40) and a reciever, and you'll be on track to a new home theater hobby. These components will cost more than $500 for a "beginners" setup, but then again the HT hobby is very expensive =Þ

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by GTaudiophile:

Haha...you all are just now realizing that, eh? The cheaper BA4800s still blow the Pros out of the water! Klipsch had to create a "new" V.2-400 system to compete!

Yeah right, and the MIT cables make your Radio Shack reciever sound like a Cary Audio 1610-SE too...