Off Topic: Moon I think I need your help....

Ou8thisSN

Hi, I think you mentioned you're in IT. Well, I have an IT question that maybe you can help with. I have a Tyan ThunderK7 S2462 server with dual lan ports. I hooked up one lan port to a router. I have a laptop computer. Can I hook up the laptop to the unused lan port on my server and have internet access on that? Please help if you can.

----------------

On 5/15/2003 9:55:51 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

Hi, I think you mentioned you're in IT. Well, I have an IT question that maybe you can help with. I have a Tyan ThunderK7 S2462 server with dual lan ports. I hooked up one lan port to a router. I have a laptop computer. Can I hook up the laptop to the unused lan port on my server and have internet access on that? Please help if you can.

----------------

I know you asked m00n specifically, I can answer since I do have such a network in my house.

Probably not, unless the server itself is acting as a router. If the server itself is the router, than you could hook the laptop up to the other port and share the internet connection. If the server is not acting as the router, you will than have to run some kind of internet sharing software on the server, otherwise the second LAN port will be not be useable.

You could also just get an inexpensive hub or switch, and hook the router to the uplink port of the hub/switch. You would than be able to hook up your server as well as the labtop to the hub/switch and get the internet on both machines.

Doesn't your router have ports on it? If I understand you correctly, you have a router and one PC/Server hooked up to that right? If your router has multiple ports you should be in biz.

Here is what I have befsr41.jpg You can hook it up to a cable or DSL connection and hook up to 4 PCs to it. Excellent for the home user.

okay, perhaps i didnt explain myself enough. I have a 4 port router, its 75 feet away from my server. I only have one 75 foot cable. My laptop is also in my room, just sitting idle. I do not want to buy another 75 foot cable to connect the laptop to the router. I figured, since this server has two ports on it, I could just use the second port to connect to my laptop, since i have plenty of like 4-6 foot ethernet cables just lying about. But I think this itself might not work becuase I think I might need a cross-over cable, which i dont have. And I would also probably have to leave the server on, if I wanted to use the internet on the laptop.... that would defeat the purpose of wanting to use the laptop, because if the server's on, i might as well use that to surf. I'm home for the summer, at school I keep the server in my room for home use, and the laptop at the lab for research. I was feeling lazy and wanted to use the laptop on my lap in bed, and not walk 2 feet to the server and turn it on each time to use the internet. In any case, I was looking for a quick and dirty fix, and it doesnt look like this is possible, thanks for the help though.

to do that you would have to run coyote linux on the server....

or yuo could just get a wireless access point and a wireless card

which is more expensive than a 75ft cable anyways lol

is it me or does it sound like Ive worked for COMPusa for 3 years with valid, yet totally helpless answers? 3.gif

yeah, I don't know a lot about setting up a server as a router, never done it. I suggest you just go buy a new cable. You can get some cat5 at homedepot, they also have the ends you need. I don't know if you can get a run off a spool or if you to buy a full box of the cable. Anyway, this option may be a cheaper route than buying a pre made cable.

Or, you have one other option (and frankly, I consider it the best one since it is a laptop). Spend a few extra bucks and get a wireless access point and a PCMCIA wireless card. This will allow you to connect to the Internet and your other server/computer from practically anywhere in the house. You can find some good prices here at Mwave. I would suggest the Linksys BEFW11S4 as your access point (second one down) and the WPC11 (elevnth one down). Or, you can try on eBay. Just search the model numbers I listed here. You should be up and running in no time without wires (for your laptop at least).

Edit: I just checked prices on eBay, and the access point with the WPC11 and another Linksys wireless USB adapter is running about $100 which isn't too shabby at all...

Yep on the wireless - just set up for my daughters loptop yesterday (the rest of my home/business network is wired). I will be doing the same for my laptop today (this household tends to have one or two extra of everything - cars, speakers, recievers, computers, printers, etc.).

As to making the server a router - I suggest not. Yes you can do that, but from then on you will have to be sure that you remember its vital role in the network whenever you make changes. These devices were more explicitly named file and print servers when first used - that is an excellent way to use them. I would want my server to operate as storage, application and control with the network able to operate independently. In the long run, this will be the most error free and flexible configuration. This applies to the small home network as well as the largest corporate networks. KISS is still the motto for successful computing infrastructure.

Lecture over. If you really want to get me started, let's discuss strategic technology infrastructures - I become very much geek like...

thanks for the help guys. since we've started this, i figure I can ask another question. I have a DV Camcorder, and I have a firewire IEEE1394 card in my server; I have Adobe Primiere 6.0; How can i convert the DV video to MPEG2? Any ideas?

I agree with the wireless if you have the funds, but if the $$$ are the issue, just hook up a cheap hub between the 75' cable & the server, & run another short cat-5 from that hub. Since the router is already up front, your internet connection is protected.

If the $$ is still the issue, & the server is running windows 2000 or XP, you can turn on internet sharing & the second connecter can be used with a crossover cable, as you said. Again, as long as the router is up front, you are still protected, as I still do not trust Microsoft for security.

----------------

On 5/16/2003 10:24:26 AM m00n wrote:

My only issue with wireless is the speed. I have not looked recently but from what I recall wireless does not have as fast of data XFer as CAT5. I could be wrong so don't beat me up.
2.gif

----------------

Currently, its up to 54m, but that's expensive. However even the older standard is much faster than any DSL connection.

Edit .. Check out this link for info:

Linksys speed chart

----------------

On 5/16/2003 10:22:34 AM cyclonecj wrote:

I agree with the wireless if you have the funds, but if the $$$ are the issue, just hook up a cheap hub between the 75' cable & the server, & run another short cat-5 from that hub. Since the router is already up front, your internet connection is protected.

----------------

I agree - this would be your best solution. If you don't want to go wireless, you could get a cheap hub or switch. A little 4-port switch will run you anywhere from $30 to $50. Hook the 75ft cable from the router to the uplink port of the switch. Hook a shorter cable from the server to one of the ports on the switch and hook a second cable from the laptop to one of the other ports on the switch. Problem solved.

I have my rp114_small.jpg router hooked up near my cable modem and one machine. I got a 50 foot cable running down the hall to an 8 port switch, which in turn are hooked up to 3 more computers (one in each of the bedrooms).