LaScala bass?

big_gto

I’m suprised at the number of folks on here who are satisfied with denying their listening experience the lowest of frequencies present within recordings.  In my mind, it’s an injustice to the musical experience.  From pipe organ registers, to electronic signals, to the deepest bass drum reverberations, those deep bass notes add a special fundamental grandeur and gravitas to music just as the artist intended. Why spend all of that money only to deny yourself the full audio spectrum?  It makes no sense to me.  This is one reason why the devialet phantom golds are so impressive to me. They deliver the lowest of bass (although a rotary subwoofer still has them beat).

Edited by Deepbass_smallsize

I wouldn't say it is about denial. I'd rather have the super clean fast undistorted bass of a Belle or a La Scala then have that bloated distorted single note bass of other speakers. It takes some getting used to and subwoofers are not easily matched to horns.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, seti said:

I wouldn't say it is about denial. I'd rather have the super clean fast undistorted bass of a Belle or a La Scala then have that bloated distorted single note bass of other speakers. It takes some getting used to and subwoofers are not easily matched to horns.

Why is it either or?   Why not demand both?  U can still have super clean undistorted bass while delivering the lowest lows as well.  To have one without there other is incomplete.   That’s just my opinion.  To each his own. 🙂

"Deepbass_smallsize"...see:

Of the websites that you could've chosen to challenge Hofman's Iron Law, this is perhaps one that is least likely to provide a great deal of  support for "small size and deep bass".

7 hours ago, Deepbass_smallsize said:

I’m surprised at the number of folks on here who are satisfied with denying their listening experience the lowest of frequencies present within recordings.  In my mind, it’s an injustice to the musical experience.  From pipe organ registers, to electronic signals, to the deepest bass drum reverberations, those deep bass notes add a special fundamental grandeur and gravitas to music just as the artist intended. Why spend all of that money only to deny yourself the full audio spectrum?  It makes no sense to me.

If you release your constraint of "small size", then you will find support here for your comments quoted above. 

Chris

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Deepbass_smallsize said:

Why is it either or?   Why not demand both?  U can still have super clean undistorted bass while delivering the lowest lows as well.  To have one without there other is incomplete.   That’s just my opinion.  To each his own. 🙂

Then that is your goal and nothing wrong with that. I happen to hate 95% of subwoofer bass solutions. I think they sound like crap and don't integrate well with bass horns. Unless of course you toss a horn loaded sub and then I am right there with you. I spent alot of time listening to vintage drivers and speakers from the 40's - 60's RCA, Lansing, Stephens, and Tannoy. Many of these don't really have a great range very limited in fact but I thought many of them sounded more Hi-Fi and pleasant than modern extreme frequency range speakers or solutions. This lesson of getting over the specs was an important lesson for me. The quality of the range covered was more important than stretching to cover extremes.

• Like 2

I elected to get Cornwall iiis over the LaScala ii’s  because they extend deeper.   The additional efficiency and maximum SPL of the LaScala mattered less to me then the Cornwall being closer to full range.  With just 3-5 Watts, the Cornwall’s  are mind blowingly Loud and dynamic  so it’s not like I’m missing out on the advantages of the LaScalas 

Like some of the others here I’m not keen on subwoofers. I don’t like the added cabling, additional cabinets  and what seems like endless tweaking to get them to integrate properly.. That said, if I were to one day have my own listening room where aesthetics matter only to me, I might consider trying two subwoofers  for  a weekend to see what I am missing  

Like others have said there is just something"special" and "right" with horn loaded bass such as the LS. Certainly doesn't dig as deep but equally if not more dynamic than the CW it comes off as very real. Add in the mid-horn of the LS compared to CW and for me it comes out the winner. I owned both LS and CW at the same time and found the CW to be slower and more plodding than the LS. The LS is such a quick, precise sounding speaker for me. But that's why there are different speakers for varied tastes, rooms, etc. Hey, they all have the Heritage background so that's enough right there --- 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

"Deepbass_smallsize"...see:

Of the websites that you could've chosen to challenge Hofman's Iron Law, this is perhaps one that is least likely to provide a great deal of  support for "small size and deep bass".

If you release your constraint of "small size", then you will find support here for your comments quoted above. 

Chris

Thank you Chris. I think I’m going to go with the devialet phantom golds in my quest.  This impressive review gets my attention. Considering that law, I guess that accounts for the 4500watt rating. Fortunately, the amp is built in. 

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/12/01/hifi-the-devialet-phantom-gold-speakers-full-stereo-pair-review/

Edited by Deepbass_smallsize

Perhaps you didn't click on the linked thread.  I'll help:

"It is not possible to achieve low-distortion output with a compact loudspeaker enclosure size and also have adequate low-frequency response."

If you're interested in why this is so, I can provide that information...from Paul Klipsch himself.  It's actually quite interesting why that phrase is true.

Chris

37 minutes ago, Deepbass_smallsize said:

Considering that law, I guess that accounts for the 4500watt rating. Fortunately, the amp is built in. 

I'm not sure I have any outlets that support 4500 watts!  :o

I know I don't want a high electric bill just to listen to little speakers.

4 minutes ago, Deepbass_smallsize said:

No need to be rude. I’m not peddling anything.  Just having a conversation about something I’m passionate about. 

We love having conversations here.  You do realize this is the Klipsch Discussion forum?

Even your member name "deep bass small size" indicates you are pushing a speaker of some kind that is not Klipsch.

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but can you explain who you are and your interest in Klipsch speakers?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

We love having conversations here.  You do realize this is the Klipsch Discussion forum?

Even your member name "deep bass small size" indicates you are pushing a speaker of some kind that is not Klipsch.

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but can you explain who you are and your interest in Klipsch speakers?

Thank you.

Yes.  I have been looking at the very impressive Klipsch stadium or the Devialet Phantoms.  I saw that amazon lowered the klipsch to a excellent $600. I’m debating if I should get it or continue saving for the devialet. In that process I saw in forums the word ‘la scala’ speakers and didn’t know what they were.  When I went to Klipsch and saw the information I was impressed. Saw the price and figured they must be really high end. But I was disappointed when I saw the frequency response only went down to 51hz. So I commented on here about them.  I love music but I want to hear all the frequencies especially the lowest tones.   That’s my quick background story. 🙂

29 minutes ago, Deepbass_smallsize said:

Yes.  I have been looking at the very impressive Klipsch stadium or the Devialet Phantoms.

. But I was disappointed when I saw the (La Scala) frequency response only went down to 51hz. So I commented on here about them.  I love music but I want to hear all the frequencies especially the lowest tones.   That’s my quick background story. 🙂

Thank you for the polite reply. 

+++

I'm not a bass head, but a lot of people are, nothing wrong with that.  You sound like a good candidate for a couple of 18" subs.  There are people here who have four or more, so you are not alone in your preference for bass.

I've never heard the Klipsch Stadium but if you have questions about those or the La Scala you might want to start a thread, just like you described above.  There are people here who own the Stadium who can give you advice.  Klipsch speakers follow a specific philosophy regarding high efficiency speakers and low distortion.  Simply looking at specs like frequency response does not always tell the whole story.

Here are my computer speakers.  The dual 12" woofers in the CF-4 along with a 15" center speaker and a 15" sub delivers the right kind of bass for me.

CF-4 Computer setup right 1.jpg

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

+++

I'm not a bass head, but a lot of people are, nothing wrong with that.  You sound like a good candidate for a couple of 18" subs.  There are people here who have four or more, so you are not alone in your preference for bass.

I've never heard the Klipsch Stadium but if you have questions about those or the La Scala you might want to start a thread, just like you described above.  There are people here who own the Stadium who can give you advice.  Klipsch speakers follow a specific philosophy regarding high efficiency speakers and low distortion.  Simply looking at specs like frequency response does not always tell the whole story.

Here are my computer speakers.  The dual 12" woofers in the CF-4 along with a 15" center speaker and a 15" sub delivers the right kind of bass for me.

Lol. 😂 WOW!!!! 🤩 What an AWESOME  setup you have there!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deepbass_smallsize said:

Yes.  I have been looking at the very impressive Klipsch stadium or the Devialet Phantoms.  I saw that amazon lowered the klipsch to a excellent $600. I’m debating if I should get it or continue saving for the devialet. In that process I saw in forums the word ‘la scala’ speakers and didn’t know what they were.  When I went to Klipsch and saw the information I was impressed. Saw the price and figured they must be really high end. But I was disappointed when I saw the frequency response only went down to 51hz. So I commented on here about them.  I love music but I want to hear all the frequencies especially the lowest tones.   That’s my quick background story. 🙂

The only thing missing is you havent LISTENED to LaScala's. Do so and report back.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

+++

One of my favorite pics around here Dave.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

One of my favorite pics around here Dave.

Thank you, that's a special pic to me as well.  We never take pictures of ourselves from that angle.

That was the day I brought the Khorns home from Columbus after a road trip with @mustang guy.  We had just unloaded them and he wanted to hear the CF-4's so we went to the Mancave and I fired them up.  I had no idea Craig had snuck in behind me and took that pic.  He just posted it to the forum and I was as surprised as anybody to see it.

He captured a great moment in time.

• Like 1