Woofer suspension

big_gto

Baiscally it's because the Heritage woofers are examples of high-output, low-distortion, short-stroking, high-efficiency prosound type bass drivers (though inexpensive examples of the type) and the ones with roll surrounds are high-fi type drivers meant for long-stroking but with lower efficiency amd higher distortion.

That's a simplification but pretty close. For an involved discussion of the merits of different surround types and why they are used look up an article on the JBL Pro website that addresses this, you'll learn more there than anyone can teach you here.

I suspect it is a reliablity issue.

Foam surrounds from years ago deteriorated rapidly. I've run across old speakers with rotted foam. My brother in law had a pair. Tonight, coming back from the grocery store there were a pair of "no name" boxes out on the curb where the owner had patched up the woofer surrounrd with cellophane tape. (They had some plastic mid and tweeter horns and maybe I should go back.)

It may be that these days, the woofers used by Klipsch do use synthetic rubber surrounds or whatever is necessary to do the job.

Gil