KP 450's

Guys,

If my memory serves me, the K-501 from the 450 was a 1 inch exit and was a tractrix horn(? Roy might have to correct me on this). The K-506 horn was from the 456, had a 2 inch exit and was a tractrix horn. The K-506 might be hard to find in the used market. Guys like JoeyB, have a hard time parting with their KP-456 cabinets.

Hi Guys;

I do not have the KP 456 speakers with the 1132 drivers Bob @ Ram Sound Has some. Mine are all 450 As with the K60 drivers.

Chuck Mulhearn told me that the new 60x90 horn that hey used with the 904 LF in the theatre system (904 bottom is the Kp 450 Lf section) will work just fine. I have people that rent the 450s for DJ gigs that want to buy the 904 and associated horn them if I can make them road worthy.

If any one has KP 450s for sale or just the crossovers I am interested.need more help call me @ 978-343-9343 home phone leave message will cal back in the evening.

Thanks Joey B Northeast Sound

to add my 2 cents to this thread...........

"If my memory serves me, the K-501 from the 450 was a 1 inch exit and was a tractrix horn(? Roy might have to correct me on this). The K-506 horn was from the 456, had a 2 inch exit and was a tractrix horn. The K-506 might be hard to find in the used market. Guys like JoeyB, have a hard time parting with their KP-456 cabinets."

As I recall the K501 was in the 450HF and it may have been a tractrix hybrid but not the kind of tractrix that became the K506 for the KP456HF. I am not sure who designed the K501 but it may have been Tracy Crawford. I think the K506 was a Delgado/Marlin creation but it may well have been Bruce Marlin's first Tractrix.

The 501 had an odd pattern in that it was a 100x80 and we developed the 506 to suit the 1132 driver and to make it acceptable to the small cinema cineplex market and to gain THX approval. The pattern of a K506 is 90x60. By the way the exit of the K506 is much larger that 2". The 2" refers to the entry point of the horn or the exit point of the driver which in this case was an 1132 with snout. (Tom Gallagher called it the Canadian 1132 as in 1132-A ...............1132.eh?)

• 2 months later...

Ray,

I remember the first time I ran an 8 box KP450 show. I had 6 FOH plus each side of the stage for side fill monitors. It was in a pub in St. Kilda, Melbourne Australia and a trio band of a guy and two hot chicks that absolutely rocked that night. Thanks for stirring up the memory

The KP450 had a nice high end with its EV DH1506 driver and a ton of HF boost in the network.

It did seem to be lacking in midrange clarity/authority. The addition of a cone-driven mid horn would have made it much more versitile.

I can't say that I like the sound of break-up or mud in any form.

Also, a 1" compression driver doesn't sound good to me when driven as hard as these need to be to keep up with what dual 15s can do (especially crossed over as low as these are).

A cone-driven horn midrange added to a system like the KP450 makes the system sound better, and improves reliability of the HF driver. By having a dedicated midrange driver, the woofers may be selected on their deep-bass performance (without regard to their midrange performance), and the HF driver may be selected on VHF performance (without regard of the midrange performance).

The 'holy grail' of a two-way seems more like a 'false-grail' to me, even when I've heard it implemented with much better drivers than are in use here.

Hi Guys

The KP 450 HF Section with the K 60 driver ( EV DH 1506 ) is a two in" exit coupled to a 85 % horizontal flair horn. Allthough I agree with you that most all 2 way speaker suffer in some respect with intelligability, compromises must be made when designing hi output speakers. The KP 450 originally was a speaker with 129.5 db output for 300 watts input. The only speaker that came close to that at the time or even now was the EAW FR 253. That was 129.5 db spl output for 600 watts input. The EAW was also very directional. Also the 8" low mid cone driver was prone to failure ,I reconed tons of them for local bands, and the RCF components were not cheap. Go figure which one I would want to own?? The KP 450s horn was capible of intelligability at 90% off axis.Put 2 KP 450s on top of 2 KP 480 subs, remove the KP 450 HFs and center them on top of the 2 KP 450 LFs one on top of the other and that Horizontal coverage extends to over 100% solid and the output is stupid loud and punchy. The KP 450 ia also a medium throw speaker system, if you need longer throw get a longer throw speaker design, of which KLIPSCH has many. As for using the KP 450 for bands in a club you cannot do any better without carrying a ton of gear! 2 sets of these speakers in any club that is not to deep will ROCK!

I own 8 450s and rent 2 on a weekly basis to 2 DJ and I have been RENTING these from me for 20 yrs and they will not use anything else.

If you need any more info feel free to call me @ 978-343-9343 Thanks Joey B

• Like 1

• 9 months later...