K33 woofer specs

This is the part # from Eminence, the makers of the speaker.

SPEC 15162

PART # K-33

RE OHMS 3.39 FS HZ 34.46

LE MH .96 MMS GMS 78.59

QM 7.39 CMS mm/N .2714

QE .410 RMS NS/M 2.3037

QT .390 VAS LTRS 301.66

XMAX MM 8.20 SD SCM 889.59

BL TM 11.88 EBP 84.4

EFF % 2.91 SPL dB 96.6

Wattage 150rms

The price from Klipsch is really very good. It would be hard to find other speakers with an Xmax like this.

Marvel

• Like 1

I just wrote/emailed to Eminence to get the values for the K33. You can't order it directly from them, but the could probably give you the T/S parameters for the other models. If you order a hundred, you can have them make them for you.9.gif

Marvel

Regarding horns and increase in efficency.

Horns act like megaphones act. This is to say that a conical cardboard megaphone is a simplifed horn. Cupped hands for shouting works too. So we can be confidant there is something a bit familiar going on.

Much of getting something to be loud is a matter of air pressure. This is why the acoustic result is called sound pressure level. Or SPL. Then also, if you have a larger area with pressure, that is good too.

The plain old direct radiator can't do much to create pressure in front of it because the pressure runs away around the side of the box. There is less air to push against.

The first thing we could do is put a tube in front of the diaphragm. The air would be trapped in there and the diaphragm of the driver could pump air down the tube.

Of course, with the tube, we've just shifted the problem, and created more. At the other end of the tube, open to the air, the pressure is coming out, and being sucked back in to create a resonance in the pipe. It is more than I can describe accurately. The pipe system only works well at resonant frequencies. Like a pipe organ.

What to do?

The solution is to let the pipe expand. There are specific equations to follow. One is the exponential.

Now, in the expanding pipe, the pressure wave expands into a greater area. Done correctly, we have low pressure at the big end, and the area is much greater.

The result is nifty. At the diaphragm end (throat of the horn) we have high pressure in a small area. At the big end (mouth) we have something close to atmospheric pressure but in a very large area. This is like having a diaphragm speaker about the size of the mouth. For example, in the LaScala, that would be a diaphram four square feet in area.

Gil

Thanks... you cleared that up. I am familiar with horn speakers... I know of the equations to figure them, etc. just was not entirely sure how exactly they worked. yes, I know, that makes no sense. I know what they do, and how to make them, just not how they do what they do. Anyway, thanks. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/28/2003 8:46:51 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Regarding horns and increase in efficency.

<...> For example, in the LaScala, that would be a diaphram four square feet in area.

----------------

If this horn theory is so nifty, why do the LaScalas only go down to 53 Hz and the Belles down to 54 Hz, while the KLF and others reach down into the low 30s? Do the Belles and the LaScalas basically ride the coatails of the Khorn?

I can appreciate the problem of raw numbers. But that is not all that is going on.

I have Forte II and they have very good bass for the size of the box. Same with Cornwalls.

OTOH I have homemade K-Horns and bigger than Belle.

Very generally speaking, the big horns work with great efficency. You can hear it. PWK reported that efficency and lack of distortion are directly related. And efficent bass horns have to be large.

So, there is a tradeoff. You can have low bass at poor efficency, and potential for distortion. Or you can have some sacrifice of bass with high efficency in what is a large cabinet.

You pretty much have to make those choices.

Technically speaking, the big issue is where there is constant resistive loading by the air to the system to make the horn work. That happens in free space where the diaphragm, or horn mouth, is about 1/3 of a wavelength. If the mouth is in a corner, that can be reduced by a factor of 1/8 or more.

Gil

• 17 years later...
14 hours ago, norbert2000 said:

Hi Marvel,

I know that this is am old topic, but I have to try;

The K-33 woofer specs were perfect, but I also need the

values/specs of the k-55-V and K-77(T-35) used in the Klipschhorns, if you have them?

Thank you

specs sheets are all over the internet

did you check with Atlas for data on the mid driver? I found the following in 20 seconds third listing on my search for the T35 this is the T35A.

https://mypicsonline.net/archive/archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/T35A EDS.pdf 

The polars are taken with the tweeter with its long axis in the vertical position (the way it was designed to be used).

Thank you James,

I also found this file, but I need the specs to make the ZMA and FRD files.

Size –               inch

RE  -                 Ohm

FS  -                  Hz

QM -  

QE  -  

QT  -  

RMS -              Ns/m   or kg/s

MMS -              Gramms

CMS –             mm/N

VAS  -              Liters

SD   -               Square cm

BL    -               TM