dvd min requirements?

Psycho_Wolf

I borrowed my friends dvdrom so I could hear the pro's in action with the matrix. AFter hours of trying to find a demo of windvd or powerdvd that actually worked, the movie ran like it was in slow motion it was so horrible. My computer is no powerhouse but it should be able to run a dvd movie. I have a k6-2 350mhz (o/c at 400) 96mb ram, v3 3500 16mb vid card. I know you should usually have a decoder card, but im just borrowing this thing for a week. all I want to do is hear the pro's in action is there any way I can get this to work? Maybe i need a new codec or something?

Psycho_Wolf:

Is the DMA setting for your DVD-ROM drive set correctly? Go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/CDROM, then select your DVD-ROM drive, hit the "properties" button and select the "settings" tab. If the "DMA" option box is unchecked, check it and hit OK. You will be propted to reboot which you should do. If the "DMA" option box is already selected, uncheck it and reboot. In most cases, the DMA option should be selected. This is a frequent cause of problems like you are describing when using software DVD decoding. If this doesn't help, your CPU may indeed be not enough to handle software DVD decoding.

try installing the latest drivers for the DVD drive...

I had kind of the same problem, but I don't think it was caused by the same thing though. I had some weird primary and secondary IDE controller issues in my device manager.

Anyways, try latest drivers for everything (vidcard, mobo, DVD, etc...) and if it still doesn't work... go to a specialized puter site...

• 3 weeks later...

Psyco, I have a P2-400 w/384MB's pc100 RAM, SB live, Dxr2 Creative 5x DVD-rom w/ 16mb VoodooBanshee card (and decoder card). I have over 240 DVD's and only 2 have had issues, and were recalled t'boot. I have no problems with playback or tv out. My pc is my only DVD player and I am very pleased with its performance. I am wondering if you need a RAM upgrade. Try 1800memory.com for RAM, I think you can get a 256mb stick for around 80.00-USD.

------------------

Movies take us to a place we would like to be and away from a place we would like to forget.