How can I make new speaker wire?

I went to Radio Shack and the guy there told me that the plugs that went into the satellites were mono, not stereo, so if I was gonna attach the 16 gauge wire to the new plug, the pos and neg wires would have to be touching. Is the plug that goes into the satellites mono? Or is it stereo. So basically could you explain the process of what to buy/how to do it? Thanks

Jason

I bought 16 gauge Monster Cable Superflat wire, so I could but it along the wall without it being seen, and then just cut the wire about 6 inches from the plug and used the twist caps (don't know the real name for them) and then crimped them, it took about 30min. to do them all. They sound sooo much better and louder, especially the back sats. The Monster Cable is about $35.00 for a 50' roll, comes with all the stuff you need. Good Luck.

alienware. you attached the cables into the back without any plug? you got any pictures? i would also like to know where you got this monster cable, sounds really good. jascin, u need a two conductor mono plug. its product number 274-868 from radio shack. ur lucky ur radio shack guy knows alil osmething, i went to my radioshack and the guy said, "these things attach to speaker wire?"

Both Best Buy and Circuit City have it, at Circuit City, you can buy it by the ft. for .75cents a foot. It doesn't have all the extras like at Best Buy, look in their speaker wire section, or ask an employee, it is the best cable you can buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the speaker wire and connectors from Radio Shack. How do you connect them. Opening the connector it looks like i need to put the positive wire on one side and the negative on the other. However, when i tried this it did not work. Does anyone know how to get new wire to work?

ok this is how i did it. radio shack product number 274-868 and some 16 gauge wire. attach one wire to one side and screw it on with the tiny screw. i did that by twisting the wire around the screw and then screwing it in then i put black tape around it and did the same for the other side. then after that just twist the plug back together and ur set. gave me a blister or two but the sound quality does sound better. as far as a negative for side and a positive for the other, im not even sure i just put it together and it sounds great. im guessing it dont matter because they are mono? im not sure. if u need more help just email me i'll try my best to help ya out.

I just finished hooking up my klipsch with new wire and connectors. They do in fact sound better. The sound is much louder. I had difficulty trying to connect the connectors at first, but figured it out with some help. Make sure that when you connect the wire to the plug to put some tape around the teminals so they wont touch the outside casing. This was the problem i had.

First off... think of what stereo means.... in theory... itz basically sound signals split into two channels... one left and one right.. or several lefts and rights... so basically 2 channels... mono is basically one sound signal... so herez a question for you... if the purpose of stereo is to split the signal... would you want both your left and right channels playing in the same speaker? or would you rather have one left signal for the left speaker and one right signal for the right speaker? Here's something else to consider... because stereo splits the signal... it would probably need 3 wires... one negative... a left signal wire and a right signal wire (both share the negative)... if you buy the stereo plugs, most likely you will have one terminal free when hooking them up... chances are though... you may get it to work... but i would go with the mono... as for sound quality... stereo plugs may sound the same... if not... worse because of a poorer contact...