Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

There is nothing wrong with Rush in Rio, it was a loud live concert not a studio recording. Same way with Iron Maiden in Rio. Very big crowds of energized people who know and sing all the songs during the concerts. AC/DC Live at Donington is a somewhat similar large crowd concert DVD experience.

U2 at Slane Castle is very good, as well as, Peter Gabriel Growing Up Live, Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty at the Olympic, SRV at el Mocambo. All of these have been regulars in the CX1 player. The visual effect of Peter Gabriel's DVD is very powerful projected on a large screen surface (besides having great sound).

The Last Waltz - The Band, Martin Scorsese does a great job at capturing the emotion of this event. I've been listening to this DVD now for a few days with my new DIY center and I can't seem to get enough. This is a great collection of old school rock, even Niel Diamond jams!

Black & White Night - Roy Orbison, This is another great collection of artists. Although I only have the VHS it is a great production.

My next purchase will be Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles. I can hardly wait!3.gif

I like the DVD . Roger Waters In the flesh -- Live . Very cool concert . Its a wide range of real old Pink Floyd Umma Guma to the newer album Animals . A very talented gathering of musicians that perform on this DVD, Rent it , and you will probably want to bye one for your collection . Im listening to 4 RSX--5 Satilites , RC--25 center chanel ( Still waiting for my rcx--4 center chanel ) and a RW--12 a Teac reciever AG-10d pushing 125w per chanel and the fricken room rocks

Gotta' go with Peter Gabrial- Growing up. Overall exellance!

DMB- Folsum Field, has great 5.1 audio. But the umpteen camera's won't focus on a single thing for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Really annoyed the 5h1t out of me. The sound and talent from this group should not be overlooked by anyone though, and the reason I mention it here. Is Central Park any different?

Get the "Led" out. If your a fan, get it. Got it?, good.

Rush- Have a read from a long time fan, Rip Rowan @ ProRec.com. Titled "Over the limit", not much about "Rio", but a good article with an interesting subject none the less. A good interpretation of why some of todays recordings don't sound so good.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

I own :

Rush In Rio

Led Zeppelin

AC/DC at Donnington

Joe Satriani Live in San Fransico

Yes Symphonic Live

Roger Waters The Wall

Out of those, Led Zeppelin is just on another level for me, but not necessarily for the sound, which is very good considering these concerts were from 20 to 30 years old. It's just a 'must have'.

Roger Waters The Wall - a HUGE spectacle with great sound, peformed in Berlin.

Yes Syphonic - Excellent sound but not quite the spectacle or excitement of the others.

Joe Satriani - I'm a big fan, so I woulda been happy with anything. Luckily, the sound is great too.

Rush in Rio - Big fan, looks and sounds fantastic, although in Tom Sawyer Geddy's vocals get overpowered a bit by the crowd and occasionally Alex guitar gets a bit indistinct in the mix. SEEING Neil Peart perform is an experience!

AC/DC at Donnington - The ony one of the bunch that's disappointing. Looks , feels and sounds more like a music video.

Going to get the Eagles next!

Here are three that really do it for me:

The McGarrigle Hour - Kate, Anna, family and friends -- some good old fashioned singing, playing, and just wonderful harmonies.

One Night With Blue Note - the historic all-star reunion concert, NY, Feb 22/85 -- some great jazz artists and their talents.

Diana Krall, Live in Paris - stunning presentation and performance.

Wow,

I'm surprised at how many recommended Peter Gabriel's- Growing up Live. It IS a great DVD, (I have it) but I thought his earlier effort "Secret World Live" on DVD was a much better concert. Another often overlooked concert DVD is Yes' in the Houes of Blues (Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas). Worth checking out...

Regards,

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, I have the Rolling Stones Best Buy Exclusive DVD Four Flicks. I think it's good also, kinda funny... Charlie Watts makes some pretty strange facial expressions while drumming. He must have trouble breathing through his nose or something? I guess you may have to see it to understand? :)

Its a good DVD, you get your choice of Arena, Stadium, or club shows. Although I must also say that They were awesome in Toronto at the Sarsfest, as was Rush! I only wish Rush could have played for a bit longer.