J&R not selling Klipsch by phone or online

Dr. Dave

I just tried to buy Synergy System 6 speakers at J&R, and was told they can only sell them at their stores: no more phone orders or online sales. Same was true for Quintet (or any other Klipsch product). Does anyone know what's up with this? Any good suggestions of other online sources for these systems? Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Doug, I'll check into uncle's. There are heaps of etailers out there, but as ever, it's buyer beware. Near as I can tell the various rating systems all look like commercial ventures with connections to etail sites...Has anyone used Vanns.com, lgdsuperstore.com, sounddistributors.com, or acousticsounddesign.com? This money is starting to burn: I've got to spend it SOON! Thanks again.

If I'm not mistaken, It all started with some local dealers that dont sell over the internet. Seems they were losing alot of there business due to the large volumes or volume discounts from uncles and many others. They couldn't' compete with the prices so even local people were buying from an internet dealer because of price. So after enough complaining the verdict came down that if you want to retain your "factory authorized" rating you are only allowed to sell in your storefront regional area, not all over the country! This is what I read elsewhere on this BB. I'm sure there is a way around it, but the whiners won this one.

Thanks, gball. I have visited audioreview.com a few times looking for both product reviews and vendors. I still feel like I'm shooting in the dark. I wish Klipsch would get with the eworld on this, and authorize a few etailers who were (1) not only especially reputable; but also (2) especially economical. I feel like I'm suffering just cause I live in podunkville (Vero Beach, FL), with no reputable bricks'n'mortar authorized dealers nearby.

I ordered an LF 10 sub from www.unclestereo.com for a great price. It turned out that I had gotten one of the bad LF unit's. I called Uncle's and Klipsch and Klipsch sent me a replacement unit with Uncles approval. The replacement soon died on me too. Klipsch had then stopped production of the unit and so I waited. Anyway 4-5 months went buy from my first purchase date and still I had no problem at all with Uncle's taking the LF 10 back and giving me full credit towards anything else OR refunding my money including the shipping. A rep from Klipsch told me that she would call Uncle's (if they had a problem with the return) and that they are one of her favorite places to deal with. I have since bought from them again and have yet to have any trouble at all from them.

I cannot share the same enthusiasm regarding Uncles. I think they may be great if it is a common item that everyone has in stock. I ordered a pair of White RS-3's from them last Monday. Had shopped both local dealers and no one had white. I asked Uncle's 4 times during the order if they had them. Was told yes, but they would have to get them from their Jersey store. Then asked when I could get a tracking number. Was told they would go out on Wednesday and to call on Friday for a tracking number. This sent some flags up for me. Card was charged on Tuesday. Called back on Thursday and they said they would go out today, call tomorrow for tracking number. Called on Friday and was told there was a snow storm and sick employees, they would go out today. Called on Monday and they were to go out "today". When I told them about the Visa regulations that you must ship within 24 hours, I was told to hold on, he came back on and said he would give me an immediate credit. I then asked if they had them in stock and he said no, didn't know when they would be in. I understand wanting to get the sale. I also understand that they can be hard to deal with if one is not use to negotiating. I don't mind any of that, but I expect honesty about a product being in stock. Called another dealer, closer to home later on Monday and received the speakers yesterday, they were demo's in great shape and saved $40 over Uncle's and felt they could be trusted.

So please beware if you are looking for a little harder to find item if they say they have it in stock. I have yet to see my charge credited on may account. That may take a couple of days.

I recommend Uncle's but I could see where there might be some hitches in certain situations like that one described above. My Uncle's experience was for the most part positive and I would use them again especially considering the price savings over retail. I must have saved between $1000 and $2000 over what I would have paid retail. I ordered a Denon 4800, 2 Klf020's, a c-7, and a Toshiba DVD from them before Christmas. All arrived double-boxed except for the 20s which were shipped through a freight company. They all arrived about a week before Uncle's said they would.

I called Uncle's about the 20s and got a tracking number for the freight company. I called the freight company and they already had the speakers in Atlanta but had the wrong phone number for me. They were quite helpful and sent the speakers quickly to my house that day by courier. So everything ordered arrived okay, no damage, and in working condition.

I decided I didn't like the Denon and sent it back even though Uncle's web site said they had a 15% restocking fee. I called them and they said they wouldn't charge the restocking fee and just today I found my credit card had been credited back without them charging the fee. I'm satisfied with their service.

A couple of things though. When I called, they did check to see if it was in stock. I think they really did check because it took the guy a while to look but who knows - the stuff showed up. Secondly, there is quite a bit of difference between the sales reps you get on the phone. Some of them are pretty rude while others are great. I found Carlos was pretty good and there's another guy I've seen recommended I think his name is Andrew Kent. Carlos will bargain on the price while others will tell you to get lost. I would buy from them again and I hope they can hurry up and get the new Klipsch sub because I'm having a hard time waiting to get a sub for my system.

-David

Just a follow up to my post above. I did receive the credit.

Also worked with Carlos on the initial transaction. He was good to work with, just didn't like the fact that I was not told the truth about availability. Also, I was never treated rudely by anyone other than the fact that they did not tell the truth about the out of stock issue. I will be looking at purchasing a receiver in the near future. I will probably look at the Denon 3801 and give Uncles a shot at redemption, but I will also shop the company that I ended up buying the surrounds from. If they are within 5%, I will go with them.

Just wanted to clarify that I was not trying to say that I would never do business with Uncles, just be cautious and remember that there are other avenues out there as well.

I am also dying to get a new sub. I had a friend that bought the LF-10 off ubid and I had it home for a few days. Even my spouse has asked when I will get a "thing" as good as what I brought home.

If Klipsch is finally limiting sales to the area, some of us are screwed!!! My local GOODGUYS (NOT) will ONLY sell what they have on hand. I was LIED to TIME and TIME again regarding the Legends I tried to buy. I was told the C 7 was discontinued and the KLF 20' and 30's also could not be ordered. OF COURSE they had no problem at all selling the KLF 10's they had for MSRP and a RC 3 center to me. Once I found this board I returned with solid info from Klipsch (and the RC3) regarding those speakers that WERE NOT discontinued and asked them to PLEASE order the things, NOPE. They said they could not get them...... That's when I was referred to Uncle's and other retailers that would sell what they did and didn't have in stock. What really made me mad is Klipsch discontinued a color on the KLF 20's because of poor sales and suddenly GOODGUYS has a bunch of those available to this day for MSRP and you know they bought them on a special knock out price cause they can't (WON'T) order any other color... YEA right GOODGUYS...

I was told the same lies about my Denon 3300 they had in stock and lied saying they didn't. I called another Goodguys store in Sacramento to see if they had them in before I made the 2 hour drive and they said YES but so DOES the Reno store. I returned and strong armed the guys into admitting they had that unit in and selling me one. They had to get permission from the manager to even sell it to me because they had not yet sold off their stock on the NON DTS 3600 Denon's. I HATE BEING LIED TO...

If I am limited to them for my Klipsch purchases, I am done with Klipsch purchases...

Not because of Klipsch but because I refuse to deal with that store for ANY product.

Hey, thanks for all your input...sounds like unclestereo.com is still in contention for me. I'm also currently checking out www.kiefsav.com (Kief's Audio-Video), as they also carry Klipsch and Denon. Prices only over phone, and I haven't yet called, but will do so Monday. I got their name from audiosurvey.com, where it seems they have a good reputation. I'm getting really antsy now:READY TO BUY!!!