J&R not selling Klipsch by phone or online

Dr. Dave

Webmaster

I'm still trying to figure this out. I read all the posts, yet I'm not seeing any solutions/proposed solutions being made.

Two questions:

1. Your statement about the issue of re-sellers vs repair/warrenty issues. It seems to me that when we buy over the internet from an unauthoriqzed dealor we take the chance that they are reputable enough to make the warranty good. If not, then I fully expect to provide transport to Klipsch myself for service. We take this risk--I don't understand why Klipsch as a manufacturer cares who sells their product when it is broken (you made your money). If I use a local dealor I would take it back for them to deal with and wait for them to call saying "it's fixed." So there must be warranty issues we are'nt aware of--what are they?

2. Your comment re: a locol dealor loosing a sale based on price alone is bad for many reasons. The only reason I have gleamed thus far is that local companies can't compete! Can't be true--can it? I mean, I can open a shop, stock a few speaks, and drop ship all over the country if I can make a sale. Key word "if". I have been self employed, competition is what drives America (a little flag waving here--hey, I'm a fan). It's my choice to stay in business--and by no means do I have the right to tell somebody else they are'nt charging enough! So what are the other reasons?

We are basicly two kinds or buyers. Those of us who will risk price and deal with problems ourselves, and those who will pay more to have problems fixed for us.

I feel Klipsch speakers are good enough take the risk. I can pay shipping several times per the discounts I have been offered--and Klipsch has sold its product.

By the same token, 3 friends of mine have bought Klipsch systems in the past year since hearing mine. All 3 bought local, even with me telling them of internet discounts. My point being is that we are mutually exclusive customers.

I cannot afford $1800 for KLF 30's. Heck, I can't afford the $1050 that I was quoted on the net (or the $325 for c-7 or the $312 for the KSW-12) , but, I like the way these Klipsch's make music sound enough to pay that. It's probably a good thing that my local dealor does'nt stock the Heritage line (I see bells for $598 NIB on the net now) cause I bet I would want them if I ever heard them. Is ignorance bliss???

MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE CUSTOMERS

The only way to make us inclusive is to restore competition. I will pay more for local service--within reason.

Thanks for listening, Klipsch rocks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll find many old fashioned privately held

companies doing the same thing - it's called the push marketing strategy. in other words they push everyone around. especially when they have a great product that requires little advertising directly to the consumer (pull strategy). & they miss out on untapped markets until they jump up from nowhere & clober them over the head. then it may be too late if the clober knocks them out. biggrin.gif

Likewise, I can't see any simple solution to this mess. But I hope Klipsch corporate can...eventually.

Speaking of slow, I finally made the shift from shopper to buyer. I just got the Denon AVR 3801 (sweet so far) and Synergy speakers: SB-1s, SC-1, SS-1, and a KSW-15. These will handle the HT, and on the music side (using the multi-zone Denon) I'll continue to use my Cornwalls. As I begin the process of optimizing this stuff, I'll post questions elsewhere on the BB. I guess now I can start shopping for better speakers again? Funny, I can't recall where all this new stuff came from...

Likewise, I can't see any simple solution to this mess. But I hope Klipsch corporate can...eventually.

Speaking of slow, I finally made the shift from shopper to buyer. I just got the Denon AVR 3801 (sweet so far) and Synergy speakers: SB-1s, SC-1, SS-1, and a KSW-15. These will handle the HT, and on the music side (using the multi-zone Denon) I'll continue to use my Cornwalls. As I begin the process of optimizing this stuff, I'll post questions elsewhere on the BB. I guess now I can start shopping for better speakers again? Funny, I can't recall where all this new stuff came from...

Can there be a topic hotter than this? We at Klipsch have struggled mightily with it since our brand first appeared on the 'net.

The world of commerce is changing at a more rapid pace than at any time in our history and we try to keep pace as best we can. Twenty years ago, the dynamic was mail order with mostly unauthorized sources advertising brands they did not carry in the back of every stereo magazine. I had my own bad experience with one of these sources which required the involvement of attorneys and the attorney general of the state in which I lived. Was a nightmare that I chose to avoid in subsequent purchases. Don't get me wrong, I am one of the biggest "value shoppers" around. In fact, I pride myself for obtaining the fairest price possible when I make a purchase. IMO, the dealer is entitled to a fair profit, but I hate paying too much.

At this time, Klipsch products are available through a network of dealers that reaches 98% of the US population. That is, 98% have a dealer within a 15 minute drive. These stats come from a reputable outside source and we work to verify them. These retailers are the life blood of Klipsch distribution and we cannot at this point envision a world where consumers cannot go audition a product as sensory dependent as speakers. Can you reasonably buy commodity product without seeing, hearing and touching it? Sure. Speakers? Not most people.

This being said, Klipsch also recognizes that not all of our dealers are, how should I phrase this, 'ideal' in their level of support for our products. We do the best we can and are always trying to enhance our dealer network. To the post above which questioned whether Klipsch has sales reps calling on dealers - I take offense. We do. They work hard and it's a brutally tough job.

As the world of commerce evolves, Klipsch means to evolve with it. At this point, we are not willing to trade our 900 some store fronts for any number of internet sites. We want to reach every customer we can and we Do encourage our authorized dealers to reach more consumers via the internet. We will work very hard to ensure that Any source offering our products is legitimate and will stand behind the product they sell. We also will work to ensure that our dealers can make a fair profit and remain open for business. If you wish, it is possible to argue what amount of profit is required to keep a store open and receive a fair reward for the risks involved. Typical audio dealers make less than 5% net profit! That's pretty slim considering the risk, the work and that you can make as much on federally insured bonds. If you have a good local dealer, do your best to support them as they are more rare every day. If your dealer stinks, send us private mail and let us know.

Klipsch is not trying to control price. Klipsch is not trying to be a limited distribution, high end brand (that comment made me laugh). Klipsch is trying to cope with a rapidly changing market and trying to support a structure that must evolve with the market. Above all, Klipsch demands that our customers get the service, support and presentations we believe are key to satisfaction with our products.

There is no more challenging issue on our plate today than this. We have upset some of our dealers by refusing to guarantee that our present position on the matter will be cast in stone. We mean to be flexible in our attempts to serve our customers and our company.

BobG

bobg, I definitely agree that at least the home audio klipsch speaks are no commodity. i do really need a place to hear them & get the dealer support & service. & fortunate for me I live in a market w/ that close by.

but have u set up any internet based B2B system to work w/ your dealers? it seems w/ this in place dealers could in turn provide this to customers/potential customers in their respective market areas to enhance sales. u provide a value-added service to your dealers which brings to them cost efficiencies to lower klipsch prices to better compete against other brands.

in other words, these dealers in many cases are not going to do what's best for you & them unless u provide it for them while improving your value to the dealers.

one problem is as far as klipsch, we as consumers face a geographic monopoly w/ your current policy. but obviously many markets have more than 1 klipsch dealer so this could

prompt the stodgy dealers to get w/ the program or lose sales to the dealers who have

or even to klipsch directly w/ their own B2C system as w/ the promedia line.

BobG, many thanks for your insightful response. I'm guessing most all of us agree with much of what you say. Certainly nobody would seriously suggest that Klipsch, or any other quality speaker company, should abandon local dealers. The ability to audition and get value-added service is crucial for most customers. What is less clear is how the current corporate policy encourages those retailers to move on to the internet with competitive pricing. But, as you say, this is the struggle you face in this rapidly changing world. I'm sorry I couldn't tie in to the standard Klipsch distribution system this time...one more reason to leave Orchid Island...somehow, though, I always manage to forget all those reasons when I look out at the beach and feel the fresh, warm seabreeze IN FEBRUARY! I guess I'm staying here, and I guess I'll stay in the 2% of the US population not reached by the Klipsch dealer network. Luckily I've got 8 Klipsch speakers in one room already! Maybe I should get a few more, and become the only dealer around here!?