Mods for McIntosh 2125?

Ryan,

Is it worth the cost? NO! The amplifier performs just fine

AS-IS.

This is a pretty much pat answer from Ryan. I bet the Mods he just mentioned on a set of klipsch speakers would be easily noticed !! I would even venture to say that there are more tweaks to be had !

Craig

I kinda fall into NOS's camp.

just about any production or vintage amp can benefit from a parts quality upgrade (especially in the caps) it is just a matter of fact that most amp manufacturers do not use the very best stuff out there in large scale production.

I think upgrading caps almost always results in some improvement. while modding (increasing cap values, swapping transistors, etc.) is a more risky proposition.

the McIntosh you have is without a doubt a quality piece and if you are totally happy with the sound, leave it alone.

but if you would like to explore what is possible, why not get qoute for some upgrading as described above? a quote can't hurt if it is cheap enough you can go for it. it can be fun to explore this area...

my two cents. btw I have a McIntosh integrated amp, an MA6400 which I have done nothing to nor have plans to upgrade or mod, it sounds great to me as it is...regards, tony

Tony,

You might contact Stephen Sank of Talking Dog Transducer Co. He is well known on the Nakamichi (NakTalk) board and is a McIntosh service center. He does upgrades and mods and very likely could tell you what he would recommend for the amp mentioned.

On NakTalk he is highly regarded for his generous technical contributions and accurate advice to the list.

email: bk11@thuntek.net

web site: http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

Scott