Digital audio not available via Digital Cable Terminal

Porsche

Hi everyone. Here's my problem:

On my new Digital Cable Terminal box, I have DIGITAL OUT and S-VIDEO out for the higher quality outputs (also has the regular analog ports too). I have my coaxial digital cable line incoming to my Digital Terminal (it's hosted by Rogers Digital Cable in Canada) and stopping there. I don't need one going to my TV because I have my S-VIDEO and DIGITAL AUDIO cables going there in lieu of it, correct?

On my Onkyo TX-DS575X(B) receiver, I have 2 coaxial digital inputs and 2 fibre optic digital inputs. So, my DVD player's digital connection is made to COAXIAL 1 for e.g. and my Digital Terminal is going to COAXIAL 2.

How come I can't hear anything this way thru my Rogers Digital Cable? My DVD player works fine this way! I went to the setup on the receiver, and specified DIGITAL INPUT as COAXIAL 2 for the Digital Terminal, but to no avail. Is that because I don't have my digital coaxial cable going from my Digital Terminal to the TV?

Receiver:

http://www.onkyousa.com/redirect_own_manual.cfm?file=tx-ds575x_e1.pdf

TV:

http://ayuda.sel.sony.com/documents/tv/KV27FS13.pdf

Digital Terminal is pretty straightforward.

This can be kind of hard to troubleshoot over the 'net, but I'll call Rogers Cable and talk to them about it. I tinkered with it for some time last night, and it's all pretty straightforward really. I probably am missing something on a configuration or such.

Cheers!

Porsche

The only time that the coaxial output on your Digital Receiver will have audio signals is when you are watching programming played back entirely in the Digital Domain. On nearly all the channels the audio portions are still analog. The sound is still transmitted via analog so you need to connect the RCA audio outputs on the cable box to the receiver as well. The only time that coaxial input to your receiver will transmit audio is when you are watching/viewing a program that is recorded in a digital format (i.e. Dolby Digital). I have the Direct TV Digital Receiver and the only time that audio is transmitted via the Coaxial/Optical outputs is when I watch a movie on Starz that is broadcast in Dolby Digital otherwise all other programming is done in the analog format.

Ah!

Thank you so much!

That WOULD explain it. So I need to have both my RCA's and Digital Coaxial cable plugged into the receiver and configured under a certain (but the same) Video setting coming from my Digital Terminal.

Cool!

You guys are definitely a great help!

Thanks!

(P.S. Whereas on my DVD player, all I need is my Digital Coxial cable, or do I need my RCA's as well if I'm listening to a CD or something that doesn't require digital? i.e. Does the Digital Coaxial output cable play regular analog too? I can't remember, I just moved into my new home and I forgot everything. I'm audio challenged. LOL)

Have a good one,

Porsche

Yes, I would connect the analog (RCA) outputs on your DVD/CD player to the receiver as well. That way you can choose the D/A converters in your player or the ones in the receiver and see which sounds better at the push of a button.