Survey - what do you plan next?

Colin

Trey asked us about the distance from our ears to our TV, I would like to know what everybody is thinking about purchasing next.

What is the next improvement or feature you plan to add to your current system?

If this is to fix or solve a problem, what problem does the purchase solve?

------------------

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 things:

1) A single Forte I for a center channel (preferably oiled walnut, if anyone is thinking of getting me an early Christmas present smile.gif). This is to have a seamless front array, and make sure the center can keep up with the front speakers (which are also Forte I).

2) A bigger, badder sub - just because.

3) A 6-speaker selector switch (with protect mode) to add more speakers to the rest of the house, 'cause you can never have too many Klipschs!

Doug

My last purchase this past week pretty much finished off my complete audio/ht system.

I purchased an Audioplex ABT amplifier/receiver selector. It allows me to have my Quartets hooked up to both the Denon receiver and the Adcom amp at the sametime. And with a simple flick of a switch on the front of the box I can select which system will be using the Quartets.

Sadly enough......I have to say that my systems are complete, I really can't think of anything I need that would make a dramatic improvement.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

I'm in the situation of having deferred all purchases for Audio and Visual while prices come down and standards get consolidated, while my personal funds go up.

Eventually there will be a big purchase.

I'd never buy any other speaker brand than K. I'd probably buy the same brand audio electronics and video monitor unless something changes.

However, maybe Klipsch will come out with an electronics line, and I'd go for that. Recent acquisitions by Klipsch are headed that way.

This is somewhat a tip off to the Klipsch corporate marketing people. In years past I'd consider an oriental source for everything except speakers, with speakers being Klipsch. However, maybe Klipsch will start eating their way up the stream of components. The first stop is clearly electronics.

Would they ever be able to get into video including display and DVD? I can't caluculate. Maybe they'd go into parnership with someone.

There have been some unkind remarks about non-Heritage speakers and what is obviously a matter of reaching lower price points and a rare QC problem. These I can understand, and tolerate.

I'd dislike a situation where the Klipsch name becomes just a marketing tool for the mass market without superior technology. E.g. I see "RCA" high definition speaker wire at Home Depot.

Gil

From my ears to the TV? About eight feet (27" Samsung; please no flames, it was here when I moved into my girlfriend's house and my 13 year old NEC 2750 27" doesn't have the bandwidth).

Tomorrow I'm getting a Rotel RB-1080 amp for my KLF-20's. I recently found a pretty clean Carver C-1 pre-amp on eBay for $150, but running that into the line in to a current Carver Receiver really sounds like garbage. A few months after that will be a new cabinet from Studo Tech, the U48 in Rosewood. Kinda cool, each shelf has it's own isolation spikes and looks like my Grandmother's all original Ediphone (any ideas where I can get a spring for this thing?). Sure hope the 20 year-old $150 Gusdorf holds up till then (man is that thing garbage!!).

UPDATE: Couldn't wait on the cabinet so that is now in the livingroom. The Carver C-1 just isn't doing it for me. Think I'll heed Al K.'s advice and get a McIntosh pre-amp. C-30, C-35, C-40!! WOW!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver C-1

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Studio Tech U-48 RW

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-26-2001 at 12:08 PM

I got my next improvement yesterday,a pair of surround speakers.I'm trying to bring my system up to date piece by piece.Have a pro-logic receiver and separate amp that's just great for music(primary concern).Having a hard time convincing myself that I NEED something else.But would like to have DD reciever.Like William, I too wish Klipsch/Acurus would build a receiver along the line of the B&K 307 that possesses the high quality that Acurus is known for.And I wish they would do it quickly.For now I'm trying to decide what receiver I want that will be nice for music and HT.No hurry.I'm almost thru collecting speakers though.And I think Klipsch speakers are OK too. smile.gif

Keith

Fatantastic SonyES receiver

Acurus 100X3

Sony LDP

Sony CD player

Sony KP53XBR400 RP

KSP300 L/R front

KSP300 L/R back

KSF-C5 center

SW12II front

SW8II rear

KSP300 3 in storage

KSP-S6 2pr.in storage

KT-DS in storage

KG5.5 in storage

KLF-C7 in storage

KV-2 in storage

and others

Thanks for the encouragement, Doug!

just got the c-7 & man the thing is HUUUGE-bout as big as the tv smile.gif

pretty well set now. as far as speakers, maybe someday Khorns for fronts & another Vel

HGS-18. just have to find the house w/ that big finished basement.

probably will get a new tube sooner than later though. w/ space limited, eyeing that top of the line 27" sony wega.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Standard Cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Next improvement will probably be a new center channel. After that, definately a new TV!!! Have a friend who works at a home entertainment store, thinking of getting something real nice, for real cheap.

Chris

------------------

Sony STR-DE935 Reciever

Sony S530D DVD Player

Kenwood 205 CD Player

RF3's Front

Energy Surrounds

Cheap Sony Center Channel

KSW-10(2)

Boom badda bang

Next improvement will probably be a new center channel. After that, definately a new TV!!! Have a friend who works at a home entertainment store, thinking of getting something real nice, for real cheap.

Chris

------------------

Sony STR-DE935 Reciever

Sony S530D DVD Player

Kenwood 205 CD Player

RF3's Front

Energy Surrounds

Cheap Sony Center Channel

KSW-10(2)

Boom badda bang

I'm wanting 3 pieces. Toshiba SD-9200 progressive scan DVD replacing Toshiba SD-9000, Panasonic CT-34WX50 HDTV replacing Sony 32", and a new processor replacing Adcom GDD-1/GSA-700. Audio shop let me use the new Anthem AVM-2, but I didn't like it. ATI has a new piece coming out, but it's pretty darn ugly. I really want the Proceed AVP, but can't afford (POOH). Think I may go with the Adcom GTP-760. Rotel has a piece to I think. Wish I had it in me to think smaller. Now if I could only come up with $6500. I asked my company for a raise, but they just laughed. Improvements? I understand HDTV with the progressive scan will be MUCH better. Though I'm satisfied now. The Adcoms, well, sound wise maybe not, but that Proceed would sure look beautiful with my other components.

ED

Colin,I'm in the"done 4 now"catagory!

Both sound great and I'm broke till the LOTO falls in our lap(dreamin,dreamin,dreamin) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Want something,but can't justify it,broke,maybe just...............

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

1. A 56" 16X9 TV or better to replace my 27" TV.

2. I would like to have one of those RSW 15 subs if they turn out to be as good as claimed.

I have this HUGE sound a tiny picture and no money to do anything about it just yet.

Just for reference information: Family member

just today got price from local unnamed dealer(HiFiBuys)on a Sony KV32FV26-$1217.99.

Don't know if thats good or not.Use it for what its worth.And happy motoring.

Keith

I'm set for speakers, for now. But, I do need a projector for my HT room. And, maybe a new sub (possibly a hand-me-down from Doug, who's got like six subs...). Bass shakers, too, while I'm at it.

I've pretty much shot my audio-visual budget this past year... now I've got all the stuff, but not enough money to build the room to put it in. Right now, my Denon 5800 and my speakers are sitting in my garage - while they sound nice, it's not the HT room I had in mind! frown.gif

Ross

wait, then again, i could use a 3 speaker power amp like the acurus, and for the listening lounge, a set of rs-3, a sub & then

move the current sony there. guess then it'll be the listenin & viewing lounge.

in the main room, now that i got the new marantz w/ the high current, the klf-30 (w/ the new bucking magnets) is again messing w/ the sony trinitron on dvd.

thinking a new sony wega(w/ anti-distortion) may help. or anybody have any good ideas for a 27" that is less affected by stray magnetism?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Standard Cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Problem: I neeed smoother bass. And some better extension would be nice, too.

Fix: Either add a sub, and a belle between my 'horns, or sell the 'horns after the factory price increase and go to a sub/sat system.

...and yes, I am crazy. Completely mad, actually. Downright looney. eek.gif

Just picked up new surrounds and rear center speakers today WOW. Went with Reference Series RS-3 and RC-3. Some day I will update the fronts Hopefully with Heritage's (is that a word) or more Reference's.

I would also like to play with a horn loaded sub, anyone looked at the Decware Wicked One? It seems if all the other speakers have horns in them, why shouldn't the sub.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

Quintet Rears

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV