24/192 and LP-Indistinguishable?

Mallette

Well, I'll probably need a herd (heard?) of hornheads over to really determine this, but I've been using Mike Walters excellent Dark Side of the Moon pressing for 24/192 experiments. Getting there is a rather massive story for another thread coming soon, but the results are pretty awesome.

I couldn't tell the difference. Previously, I'd transferred a number of LP's to 24/96 and was impressed, but they still were just short of the real thing. 24/192 appears to be the ticket to nearly perfect recording...though a rather stiff one in file size and in other issues.

Dave

Let's try the "Beds are Burning" lp. I also have some half speed masters lps.

I listen to so many different albums and songs that I don't think I have the time to record. By the time I get the recording completed and tested I"m tired on the song.

I would love to have a jukebox of digital version of my library, but I don't know if I have the patience and the disk space. I would like to buy a disk drive and duplicate your recordings to my drive!

I would also like the try the long wall corner placement with my Cornwalls. I need to get the boy's toys out of the rear corner. :)

That should be interesting. As you know, I've always said MO "Diesel and Dust" was perhaps the poster child for CD. Hard to imagine any more info than is there on that particular material.

Can't wait to find out I am wrong.

You guys totally stuck in CD land should get out more often...:-)

Dave

I'll answer that question after Friday night when I take the MBS-3, two Oktava ML-52 ribbons, and two Beyer MC-130 NC mics down to Poor David's Pub in Dallas and attempt to record 4X24/192.

I have a clean 80 gig disc dedicated to the occassion, if that answers your question as to how much space I think may be needed.

Dave

----------------

On 6/4/2003 5:46:18 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

I would love to have a jukebox of digital version of my library, but I don't know if I have the patience and the disk space. I would like to buy a disk drive and duplicate your recordings to my drive!

----------------

I've done just that. Converted everything I have to 320kb mp3s. Have some 40 gigs of mp3 files and still have about 200 gigs of free drive space available on my workstation.

I put 20 gigs of files on my Archos Jukebox as it will play 320kb mp3s and I can connect if straight to the preamp and not have to fool with the computer at all.

Pretty fortunate in that I build high end workstations, servers and networks so the best parts come rather inexpensively. This is the busiest time of the month for me but in a few days I'll post some images of my computer\audio setup. Very thankful I learned the pc tech as it's saved my much money and time.

Would be happy to help anyone here that may have questions or problems regarding computers and hardware although most of you probably know more about such things than I do.

Tony

----------------

On 6/4/2003 11:34:20 PM Tony Boone wrote:

I've done just that. Converted everything I have to 320kb mp3s.

----------------

Have had a DVD burner for about a year now so I guess I'll have to make DVD quality sound now. lol. It never ends does it?

Tony

So yesterday evening I decided to run a "smoke test" on the 4X24/192 record system. I set up the mics on the front porch and punched up record. I marveled at how real the ambience was on the headset. Suddenly, I began to hear a rising buzz. I paniced, thinking it was some digital feedback loop or something. Then it began to accelerate and get louder. My brain told me the following with dead certainty: A single engine aircraft is accelerating rapidly on a collision course with the house. No kidding. I ripped off the headset...and...silence. I rushed to the front door and went onto the porch. About two blocks away someone was beginning to feed stuff into a chipper shreader!

I never cease to marvel at the difference between "hifi" and "reality."

The PAW arrived a bit later, and I told her about the shreader thing and had here listen. She smiled and nodded as the shreader reved up. I watched, mentally counting down. Sure enough, at just the right moment, she jerked and crained her neck around to look at the front door!

Fascinating experiment. The shreader that so startled me didn't really impact her since she knew what it was, but the unexpected squeak from the door completely fooled her.

We've a line of showers west this morning, so I am hoping for some good thunder action.

Dave

Dave,

I'm still very interested in the idea of storing my vinyl on hard drive and then setting up for playback in my 2-channel system. For this reason I am driving up to San Francisco tomorrow for the HE2003 Show. (I'm also probably going to buy a whole bunch of vinyl that will get in line with the 50 records I haven't played yet.) I hope to be able to find out what is upcoming in digital storage for the purpose of music playback. The company you mentioned in the past that made Sonic Blue products is now owned by the same parent company that also owns McIntosh, Marantz, and Denon. So, I'm guessing they'll be there, hopefully along with some others.

Quick question - Can you give me your thoughts on 320 kbps MP3? How would it compare to 24/96 or 24/192 sonically? The reason I ask is Rio (used to be Sonic Blue) continually mentions MP3 compatibility on their website.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris...

I don't use MP3 for anything, though for talking books it could be handy. I find CD at 1.4112 mbps about the minimum for anything approaching "fidelity," and that only for non-acoustic instruments. 2X24/96=4.608 mbps, and 2X24/196=9.408 mbps. Those rates are just for stereo, as noted.

.320 mbps is not much data from which to try to construct a string quartet.

Dave

...and he was so kind to refrain from saying that MP3s actually suck for quality audio playback. Compressed vs. uncompressed should be a no-brainer, but we do always want something on the cheap (I do). It just depends on whether or not we are will to accept the downsides of it all.

Dave,

Years before people came along with digital audio, I hauled my old Teac 3340s (still have it) on vacation to Maine. I made a nice recording of the waves hitting the rocks. Sadly, I no longer have the tape. I only have the reel to reel for sentimental purposes. If anyone wanted to buy one, I would consider selling at a resonable price.

Marvel

Great deck, Marvel. Used them on numerous occassions. The ability to make the record heads play was great for syncing things.

I still have a 2300S and a huge Sony in the garage. Still have a bunch a reels to transfer before selling them.

I suspect you can get pretty close to what you paid for that Teac on Ebay. Lots of folks still using them, at least for now.

I may tell the story of my odyssey of the past couple of weeks getting this 4X24/192 rig working eventually. It would make a great "Don't try this at home" article. I really underestimated the complexity of such things at the moment. 19 mbps or so of data flowing taxes a computer quite a bit. If this works and I make anything out of it, I am going to invest in the new serial ATA drive technology. It's even faster than SCSI, and cheaper.

I am still recovering, and still more than just a bit worried about the gig.

Dave