Best floor for listening room

Hi everybody,

next year I'll at last be able to move into a bigger flat which won't be a bad thing for my K'horns. As the building is still under construction, I might be able to choose between a floor made of tiles or a floor which is made to resemble parquet floor. Both floors are relatively hard so I was wondering if anybody out there has any suggestions which is the better choice.

Thanks for reading this message,

Wolfram

It's not so much the material COVERING the floor that will make a BIG difference, as much as the subflooring, and the wall construction for that matter.

KHorns will produce excellent bass down to the low 30's in a room that they like. One way to reduce the bass you get is to put them in a room whose walls and/or floor are "springy"... that is, if your room is sheet rock over a single 2 X 4 frame, the wall will flex, which absorbs some of the energy that would otherwise provide increase sound pressure levels. Likewise, whatever material you choose for the floor, if you build it directly on top of a concrete slab so that the floor doesn't flex, you'll wind up with more, and better, bass than you will if you have sprung flooring.

Ray, are you saying that I would get more bass from a solid (slab) floor than a "springy" floor or would it just be less muddy. My bass sounds real heavy at some resonant freqs. Is that because of my springyness in my walls and floor? Both my falls and floor are not solid. Also, I have areas in my room that seem to suck all the bass from my listening position. Like the inset where my door is generates ALOT of bass . Is that bad and is there a way to redirect it to my listening position? My la scalas have lost their vibrance and their punchyness due to it as well as my monster sw15 sub.