Can my amp be converted to use 230 Volt Input???

I'm getting ready to move to Ireland where all the electricy is 230V.

I have an old Rotel RB960 BX amp and an Acurus 3X200 amplifier that I would like to take over but don't know if there is any way to allow them to have a 230 Volt input. The only thing I know that can be done to is to get a step down tranformer but these can get expensive as the wattage goes up. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

a step down transformer wii still be much cheaper than having your amp converted to 230 volt internally...

the other advantage is that you are not modifying the amplifier so it will retain its future resale value and if and when you return to a country with 120 volt system you don't have to have it changed back....

i actually sell a 1500 watt stepup/step down transformer for about $100...

i don't believe that you could have your amp converted for less than that....

I'm not disageeing with MM.

OTOH, it might be realatively simple for a tech to switch the primary transformer windings to take 240 volts and fit the other type of wall plugs to the "mains" as they say over there.

They must have run into this type of situation before.

Gil

My thirty year old JVC integrated (sweet amp, still works) has a jumper block under the cover next to the power transformer to switch from one to the other. But then, this amp has some things mounted on removeable plug in cards, making it far more modular than most stuff even today. The sill thing cost $300 in 1972!

Marvel

AC frequency is rarely of importance except with motorised devices such as turntables .

Contact the regulatory authourites in Ireland and the manufacturers of your equipment regarding this question. I suspect that you will find that your equipment will need little or no modification and further that low cost conversion options exist.

"AC frequency is rarely of importance except with motorised devices such as turntables."

You going to replace his transformer if it burns out?

How about his house if he has a fire?

Unless the transformer was designed for 50hz it cannot be safely run on 50hz.

Transformers designed for 50hz have larger cores and more windings than 60hz transformers. They cost more to make. If the transformer is only designed for 60hz and you try and run it on 50hz there will be inadequate primary inductance, excess current will flow, the unit may buzz, and it will get hot.

A 50hz transformer may be run at 60hz.

Look and see what is in the equipment.

djk,

Yup, the 50Hz on the trannies would be about the same as running a motor slower. I iamgine it would heat up a lot. No wonder my JVC poewr tranny is so big, considering it is only a 30 wpc amp.

Have you seen the LS mod drawing I posted (updating older speakers)? People would like some feedback on results, if you could post some. They aren't all Luddites.

Marvel

My guess is that the transformer manfacturer has contemplated that the 240 volt connections will be used at 50 Hz.

It is my understanding that the world is divided into 240 volt, 50 Hz and 120 volt 60 Hz. The component (amp) designer and transformer designer must know this. The components have to be adopted to the target area. It is simply a matter of putting the two primary windings in series or parallel, and there is the plug thing.

Most of our equipment is built and designed in the Pacific Rim and there is a basic design which can be adopted with the use of jumpers or simply alternate wireing schemes. Right?

I agree that 50 Hz transformers need a bigger core, but, per the above, it is probably already there.

It is interesting to note that I've been told that aviation a.c. systems use 400 Hz because this allows the use of a small, light weight core. Which of course makes sense in view of the importance of weight. That was in the days of tube avionics.

Best,

Gil

This is getting tiresome.

My first remark was to look at the amp and see if it says 50hz on it.

If it can run of 50hz it will say 50hz.

"Most of our equipment is built and designed in the Pacific Rim and there is a basic design which can be adopted with the use of jumpers or simply alternate wireing schemes. Right?"

Wrong. It costs 20~25% more to make a 50hz multi voltage transformer vs a 60hz single voltage model.

Even a small manufacturer can save tens of thousands of dollars anually to make two models, one for the USA and Canada, the other for the world market.

The multivoltage world market transformer usually has six wires on the primary vs two for the USA/Canada model.

100/120V 50/60Hz in parallel "Worldwide"

200/220/240V at 50/60Hz in series (black sleeve + white-blue-yellow/orange- red-black)

If you want to sell your equipment to France you also have to make a 380V 50hz transformer.