'The Girl From Ipanema'

Tony Boone

• 8 years later...

Sure this thread is almost nine years old, and still relevant.

After talking with a client about Paul Desmond, he recommended Stan Getz. So I picked up a used CD of 'The Definitive Stan Getz" on Verve. Great stuff! I'm very green with Jazz, and really like Getz so far! Such control. I will definately check out the other titles suggested in this thread.

Such a cool Forum. The archives are rich with info. [Y]

Hey Allan,

Is there any truth to the story that the female vocalist (Astrud Gilberto) on "Girl From Ipanema" had never performed anywhere outside her own home before this? If so, wow! This record is my wife's favorite. Right up there with Willie Nelson's "Stardust".

Chris

That's my understanding of the original recording. That story may actually be in the liner notes to the remastered release of 8-10 yrs ago.

Was downloading mp3s earlier and got a copy of 'The Girl From Ipanema' as recorded by Gal Costa, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim.

This song even at 320kb mp3 makes these La Scalas sing! (Or is it the La Scalas that make the song sing?)

Tony B.

If you think that makes the LaScalas sing using MP3 you should hear it on SACD.

If you like the sax work on that one try Sonny Rollins "Way Out West". Or for some other horn Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" . Both amazing recordings from the 1950's that demonstrate "how far audio has not come".

If you like the sax work on that one try Sonny Rollins "Way Out West". Or for some other horn Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" .

Thanks for the recommendations! [Y]

Both amazing recordings from the 1950's that demonstrate "how far audio has not come".

I'm hearing what you mean when listening to Getz's Summertime. That sax is rich and airy, like he's in the room.

River, if you like Paul Desmond & Stan Getz you should pick up some Zoot Sims! I would recommend:

Zoot Sims & The Gershwin Brothers, Zoot At Ease, Warm Tenor, Meets Jimmy Rowles, The Swinger, Soprano Sax, etc...look for his releases on the Pablo label, late 70's & mid 80's very well recorded with an amazing array of talent. Over his long career Zoot played with virtauly everyone who mattered in the world of jazz, from Benny Goodman, to John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson to Count Basie, Joe Pass to Buddy Rich, Milt Hinton to Stan Getz, the list goes on & on. Straight ahead jazz that swings, it doesn't get any better than this.

Very cool, Zoot is far and away my favorite jazz musician, I have roughly 35 of his cds & lps. For a quick taste of his style check out some of the videos on youtube, including live from the San Remo jazz fest & a great video of him in Swededn with Rune Gustafsson on guitar & Red Mitchell on bass.

Enjoy.