KT-DS: Which side is front?

Daemon

Just point the speakers toward the front and rear walls, when mounted near the side walls. I remember the pair I had were marked with arrows too, but I never used them.

What do you think of their sound, BTW?

Keith

I'm pretty sure it matters for dipolar speakers. The arrows must be there for a reason.

If I understand correctly, dipolar speakers are wired out-of-phase, which means when the front driver pushes out the rear driver pulls in. Put another way, the front and rear drivers move towards the front of the room in unison. If this motion is not in phase with the opposite surround or the same-side front then there could be some cancellation, like what you would get if both fronts were out-of-phase.

Both drivers in the cabinet are out-of-phase to create a null sound field, but doesn't the resulting sound field have a phase relationship with the sound from the other cabinets?

Just a few thoughts, I could be wrong.

Carl

PS: Love 'em

Daemom,

On the dipoles, the best way to figure out which one faces out. Take a 9V battery and line up the positive lead to the positive terminal and the negative lead to the negative terminal. Which ever woofer moves out is the front of the speaker. If you still have questions, let us know.

LHTF

• Like 1

• 16 years later...

So I've got em pointing front and back...there's little to no high end at all at my listening position and I do hate not having them "perfectly"  positioned...has anyone else experimented with The positioning?

On 6/18/2003 at 9:15 AM, Daemon said:

I'm pretty sure it matters for dipolar speakers. The arrows must be there for a reason.

If I understand correctly, dipolar speakers are wired out-of-phase, which means when the front driver pushes out the rear driver pulls in. Put another way, the front and rear drivers move towards the front of the room in unison. If this motion is not in phase with the opposite surround or the same-side front then there could be some cancellation, like what you would get if both fronts were out-of-phase.

Both drivers in the cabinet are out-of-phase to create a null sound field, but doesn't the resulting sound field have a phase relationship with the sound from the other cabinets?

Just a few thoughts, I could be wrong.

Carl

PS: Love 'em

On 6/30/2019 at 12:17 AM, Shai said:

So I've got em pointing front and back...there's little to no high end at all at my listening position and I do hate not having them "perfectly"  positioned...has anyone else experimented with The positioning?

Ok if anyone has some thoughts

i was thinking it would be neat to use the KT-DS as front highs, angled toward the seats as it says most places. Would the "front" of the room be whichever direction they're facing? Should I not try it?

i don't like them often as surrounds. I don't like not having either tweeter especially pointed towards the ears. I've always put surrounds at 90 degrees and since these really point at 0 and 180 really...I'm just not really happy with em in those slots. I think front highs for those would be cool