For all the LaScala fans

Marvel

Jim,

I used an older version of Caligari's trueSpace -- ver 4.3. My youngest son had bought it, but then saved up his money and got Lightwave. I got the older software. It didn't really take that long to do. You will notice that I didn't do the speaker components, as the cones, frames, horn flares would be a bit much (for me anyway). Not for someone who does this all the time. I had some of this done over a year ago, and just didn't get back to it. I have some other plans for this 3D model, so it will be fun.

If I had to spend money on one or the other, I would get Lightwave as well. I can get the educational price, which is under $400. trueSpace is just under $300 for the edu pricing. LW was about $800, but they dropped their prices a lot,

Marvel

G'day Marvel. The drawings are outstanding. I'm using them for my opening wallpaper. A couple weeks ago, I put together a folder with your LaScala mods, so here's a couple questions for you. First of all, I like the idea of the mods being reversible.

In the mods, you have a 10" extension with 2 4" pvc pipes. I don't see this in your current drawing, but I see the mod cutout at the bottom of the doghouse to vent it down. Also I've never had a LaScala apart, so how does the woofer sit in there. I always thought it was inside the 'v' firing out to the back wall then out along the sides into the room.

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas and wallpaper. Hamish

<ls_mod_w.jpg>

Hamish,

The first rendered drawing (black background) does not have the mod in it. I'm also going to work on creating the woofer, mid and tweeter to insert into this. The piece with the cutout is the bottom of the cab. the lower piece covers the hole. I think there are 16 screws here on a normal cabinet. My mod drawing replicates this bottom piece with the hole in it, so you can just mate them together. The woofer mounts on the vertical piece you see with the vertical slot in it. Looking at some other drawings or plans may help to visualize it.

For the complete mod, djk would have you do what's shown above.

1. enclose the back of the mid/tweeter section, and put the ports in.

2. the top section of the doghouse is opened up, similar to the bottom access hatch, to increase the internal volume of the woofer chamber.

3. for you, the board with a 3"x13" slot is where the woofer mounts, facing the rear.

DJK says this mod, with a stock K33E will give you -3db at 31Hz.

Questions remain -- where to put the crossover? I would probably have wires coming out to binding posts for all three speakers and mount the crossover on the back of the new wood, between the ports.

I wanted this pic to be stock, so the mod isn't on it. Might make another with the mod in the top. this would mean making an opening in the TOP of the cabinet, similar to the bottom opening, then closing in the back, with the piece that would hold the two pipes. Confused yet? I think in pictures a lot, but can't always convey in words what I mean.

Nice set of Crown gear BTW. A lot of people diss it for high end audio, but the main thing is whether or not you like it. It lasts and lasts. We use Crown for our P.A. gear at the college where I work.

Noz,

Thanks to you as well. I am working on my web site, and will try to get some images together that are made with the right aspect ratios for wallpaper. I can rotate around the cabinet, but it is hard to get a view and lighting that really looks okay.

Marvel

"Questions remain -- where to put the crossover? I would probably have wires coming out to binding posts for all three speakers and mount the crossover on the back of the new wood, between the ports."

The LSI has this board (numbered 1 in your second drawing). You cannot mount the crossover here, in the LSI Klipsch actually has to route a recess for the midrange driver for clearance. I park the network on one of the sides.

Really old LaScalas already have a top loading woofer, all you need to do on these is make the back with the ports, and leave off the woofer mounting door.

The EV Interface A, D or EV Sentry III eq/sub-sonic filters show up frequently on eBay for ~$20. If you change two resistors per channel they are all the same.