HIP Heresy in Standard Heresy Clothing - Huh?

Frzninvt

I do not think I have ever seen a Heresy HIP (Industrial Version) in a standard looking Heresy enclosure. Could it have left the Hope factory this way or this something someone custom built? The drivers and crossover are certainly from the HIP model and the slotted port in the front is there as well, it is certainly visible as a shelf looking piece of wood under the woofer. All the HIP's I have seen have been black, some square, some wedge shaped, some with aluminum trim and handles, most with metal grillwork in front of the woofers but never a pair that looks like these. If they weren't across the continent in WA state and $500 I may have been interested.

I'm not sure about the HIP in wood finishes - I've never seen one that wasn't the usual industrial black. I did notice something about this particular pair though......

The HIP is PORTED. I never knew this. Mini Cornwalls!! Very cool. Can anyone comment on what difference this makes in "real world" use?? Has anyone A/B'd the HIP against a standard Heresy?

I have never heard them side by side, but I do recall a friend of mine had a pair of the HIP's that had the black cabinets finished with the aluminum trim pieces and the metal grills in front of the woofers. He was running them with the Luxman C-120 & M-120 preamp/power amplifier they had so much output that you could set a full beer can in front of the port and it would blow it off the table. The only difference really is the bigger woofer and slotted port cabinet, I do not know what the frequency response for them is. I would like to have a pair someday. I would sell my Heresy II's to pick up these HIP's in standard Heresy clothing. Shipping from WA to VT would be a killer though. I wish I had more info on this pair.

Correct Marvel, when I said larger I did not mean dimension wise I meant larger magnet structure and more power handling capability. Maybe I should have been more specific. Thanks. I emailed the seller in an attempt to get the scoop on these. They are more desireable since the standard HIP's are not that attractive and would have a low WAF.

I have an HIP II as the center channel in my HT rig. God the time I had trying to get specs on that. It is a great center channel but I would caution using them as main speakers. They were made (so I was told by Klipsch) to be used for speaking venues to clearly reproduce voice. As such they make a great center channel but a poor full range one. I believe that BobG told me that they roll of at about 60Hz or so.

This is the current speaker that BobG told me that the HIP 2 was most like http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?Cid=506

----------------

On 6/26/2003 10:01:22 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I emailed the seller in an attempt to get the scoop on these.

----------------

I had seen these as well... so what's up with the nifty cabinet work? is it original?

I emailed the seller a couple of days ago and I have not got a response back from him. I usually don't do business with people that don't take the time to respond to prospective bidders inquiries. If they don't respond to a few simple questions how long will it take them to get them packed and shipped, it says alot about a person's character. The bass response issue turns me off to them anyway, and the added front trim on one and not the other - what's up with that. Think I'll stick with my Walnut Oil Heresy II's.