La Scala wiring diagramm

hermann

I was satisfied with the sound I get from my La Scalas for quite a while until

I checked the wiring of the drivers after a phasing test via phono indicated improper phasing.

I found the midrange driver on one speaker to be connected just the opposite way than that on the other speaker.

The red cable from the (AL-3) crossover was connected to the right terminal (when looked from the rear of the cabinet) of the midrange driver, the black-red cable goes to the left.

Both other drivers are connected red to left side and black-red to right side.

Reversing the cables on the midrange (now all drivers in both speakers were connected red to left side and black-red to right side) had a negative effect of the system's sound so I returned to what I had found.

I now reversed the cables on the other speaker's midrange to get identical wiring in both speakers and the effect on the sound was positive - better staging of voices and instruments.

Just to make sure: Does anybody have a wiring diagram or a description of the wiring of La Scala's drivers as intended by the maker?

Thank you for any efforts.

Hermann

Does anybody

Attached is the AL-3 crossover wiring diagram for the LaScala; this may help you. You can also open the cabinet and check the terminals on the driver (woofer) to make sure the terminal connection is correct. For the midrange and tweeter you can check the designed wiring to the plus/minus terminals by direct inspection of the terminal connections themselves.

post-10812-13819248225448_thumb.jpg

OK, hate to state the obvious...and not meant to embarras you. But maybe this might help someone else out.

Red goes to Positive or +

Black goes to Negative or -

It should show this on the cross over your looking at, if you look hard enough.

FYI, My dad is color blind.. I always have to help him out if he can't see the + ot - if he undoes something.. LOL..

Hope this helps.

Also, if your amp is on...do not let the speaker wires of the + or - touch if they become loose. This is a good way to destroy an amp if your not careful. Did not happen to me, but heard it has to other people with expensive Krells and McIntosh amps fried. (Ouch!!) Like anything posted on here... Use common sense, and your probably ok. Just my 2 cents...

I'd just like to add that given the Mid horn's "screw in" nature the positive and negative poles may not be on the same side of the horn from unit to unit.

The factory frequently added in a red dot in paint to indicate the positive but if this has rubbed off, there are also standard "+" and "-" symbols facing the front of the driver.

Later...

Rob

Rob is right. You need to inspect each driver to make sure the + of the crossover is connected to the + of the driver. You will have to unscrew the squawker and remove the tweeter to check. Looking from the back is not sufficient.