Are the RF-5's not timbre matched???

nicholtl

Everywhere I have heard or read, people say the RF-5's sound different than the RF-3II's RF-35's, RF-7's etc. I have RF-7's as the mains, and RF-35's as my middle surrounds, and was wondering if I should get another pair of RF-35's for the rear surrounds, or go with the RF-5's. I figure they should go in the rear to provide a stronger rear presence? Either way, my concern is from what I have been hearing - that the RF-5's, while spectacular, are not matched in harmonics to the reference line. Do you klipschheads know if this is fact or BS?

In our family room we have RF7 mains and RF5's for surrounds, and I think they sound really good together. We use RB5II's for rear surrounds, and to my ears everything blends nicely. In our master bedroom we have RF35'S and RF3II's and to me they sound good together too. But they don't compare to the RF7's and RF5's imo.

This is weird. I went to my local goodguys today to audition the RF-35s, RF-5's, and the RF-7's. In my utterly honest opinion, it seems the RF-5's were more hollow in sound than the RF-35...which I guess can be a testament to how great the new reference series line up is. I had the salesperson play a favorite CD of mine (coldplay), and have him swtich from each speaker as I told him to do so. Yes, the RF-7's sound amazing as we all know. The RF-35's sounded incredible as well. However, the RF-5's...I don't know...they just didn't live up to what I was hoping. I literally made a face when I heard him switch from the 35's to the 5's.

Anyways, I ended up going with a pair of RF-7's to use as my main rears.

haha yeah, cause i listen to alot of music also, and since the 45tx receiver has the 7 channel stereo sound mode, i usually listen to my music with the front mains and the rear surrounds (RF-7s) at equal volume. The center surrounds, the 35's, are much lower since they are right by my ears. And ofcourse, the center is cranked down as well.

why aren't you using a RC-7 for your center channel? it's a great center channel, and the center ch. is a VERY important speaker, so much so, that although the c-7 center is a very good center, i will one day convert a klf-20 into a center channel to further improve timbre matching and performance.

av.

but how would i use it as a center channel? i can't really put it under the tv, and certainly not ontop...so even if it were to the side it would be slightly off right? and besides, aren't center channels better than actual main speakers, cause of the dual midrange drivers and the horn? i mean, aren't they best for dialogue and effects specifically because of the way they are made that makes them preferable than a tower speaker?

the reaso i know aboutn the reference set up is because before heritage, i used to run all reference rf 5 fronts, rf3 rears rc7 center (now for sons gaming) and they all sounded great together, but centers can be better replaced by a good tower or monitor i bought the corns, and moved the 5's to rear position sounded great but timbre suffered as did the rc 7, replaced the rc with the lascalla moved the rc upstairs imaging better dialog and everything else center does increased by 5-10 times, bought the heresies, moved the rf's upstairs, everything matched perfectly, imaging perfection. now my sons gaming and them main ht are perfectly matched, i originally had the rc 3 for center for the reference set up, and it was far underpowered, so i do agree that the center has to be at least the same size as the fronts, but a person does not have to have a dedicated center (design) as center there many great centers, wasnt the cornwall originally designed as center for the cornerhorns?12.gif