Test CD

JohnA

John-

Let me "rephrase" my offer of "copying" you a CD. I will "allow" you to "borrow" my "backup copy". But, I do

have one request. You must return it when you are finished using it. Or when your children are finished using it.

Or your children's children. Or your children's, children's children. But, please remember, this is a "borrowed",

"backup" copy only. The same as when people record LP's to tape. Anyway, with any luck, this disclaimer of NOT "copying and distributing" media across the internet or Klipsch BB will pacify the Jimmy Swaggart's of the group.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that's a funny. "Stealing" has nothing to do with what religion you are. It has to do with what is right. I know plenty of "Christians" who are willing to copy CDs for people. Their guilt is on their own head. Sad that many athiests have better morals than Christians.

Marvel

----------------

On 7/10/2003 8:18:55 AM SirJaylord wrote:

john warren said:

Isn't copying CDs and distributing the contents "illegal"??

no, only if they are sold. besides its only cheating if you get caught.
11.gif
----------------

Duh? It is usually illegal whether you sell them or not. A 'backup/archive' copy is not, but we are talking about distributing to another person. Doesn't matter if they paid or not, the author/publisher just got screwed out of his money.

Marvel

Marvel-

Obviously you did not read between the lines as far as my post is concerned. I wasn't referring to religion. I was referring to the hypocrisy of it all. I could have easily used Bill and Hillary, Jesse Jackson or any other world class hypocrite as an example. Jimmy Swaggart just happened to come to mind.

I was also referring to the "holier than thou" attitude so to speak. Another reason for using Swaggart as an example. I would bet there's not a person on this BB who hasn't copied or reproduced something sometime somewhere during their lifetime. That being the case, let's use you as an example.

Obviously you play guitar. You "reproduce" music. Is it "strictly" your own music? Probably not. Have you EVER played a song which was not written by yourself??? I suspect you probably have. Did you send this artist a royalty check for "reproducing" his or her music??? I suspect not. Did you ask the artist's permission to "reproduce" his or music?? Again, I suspect you did not. As a result, by definition, you were "stealing". Taking and "reproducing" something that did not belong to you. Correct? Oh, of course, that's different. But how is it different?? Unauthorized "reproduction" is still "unauthorized". Therefore, by definition, you are in fact "stealing" as well.

Anyway, I'm not trying to hammer you. I'm just trying to point out that none of us are

innocent. In the words of the late HWL Poonja:

A person who attempts to influence others with his own personal beliefs, his own morals, is not teacher. He is a butcher,

A good friend of mine works for ASCAP (perhaps you have heard of them?). This is from their site:

A public performance is one that occurs "in a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered." A public performance also occurs when the performance is transmitted by means of any device or process (for example, via broadcast, telephone wire, or other means) to the public. In order to perform a copyrighted work publicly, the user must obtain performance rights from the copyright owner or his representative.

I have performed for money, mostly for the "normal circle of family and its social acqaintances" crowd. Mostly my music, or written by those I was with. My ASCAP friend doesn't know of people paying royalties for performance (folk/rock/jazz/rap), although symphonic works performed pay royalties on the music itself and for the performance (would include plays/musicals, etc). So technically you are correct, but in practice, even for those concerned, it doesn't usually happen. You have me a bit more curious now. I am going to have my friend get me some other information.

Marvel

----------------

On 7/10/2003 12:54:16 PM Marvel wrote:

A public performance is one that occurs "in a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered."

----------------

Actually the girl scouts were being bullied by ASCAP into paying royalties for singing campfire songs as it was a public performance of royalty covered songs, including "happy birthday" ?!?

Ok, as crazy as this sounds... I decided to include a link because it does sound outrageous...

The birds may sing, but campers can't unless they pay up

STEALING at such a young age... 6.gif6.gif what is this world coming to !? 4.gif Pretty soon, people have their pagers beep to the beat of Mombo #5, IN PUBLIC, and not send in their royalty check !! ... 9.gif

Later...

Rob

PS: The thing that surprised me was that I would have imagined that a song like "happy Birthday" was old enough for rights to have expired.

whats the world gonna do when the "music dies" from all the copyrite laws.........whoops ....I can't say that either...it's copyrited. 50 years ago we didn't halfta worry about such things...whats gonna happen in 25 years when nobody can sing "anything" without paying somebody. Telling campfire girls they cant sing "happy Birthday" without payin' royalties just takes the cake(pun intended)...............gc

----------------

On 7/10/2003 4:48:02 PM artto wrote:

Rob....I'd be interested in the 1/6 octave files. You can email them to me if you want. I have broadband.

----------------

Artto, I decided to test posting it here, it's going to be in 4 zip files of smaller size... let me know if it comes through ok, should be 65 wav file total, unzipped.

This is Sine 1/6th Part 1 Zip

Sine-6th-part1.zip

• 4 weeks later...

----------------

On 8/4/2003 10:27:25 PM formica wrote:

Just bumping the post up... did anyone try them to see if they unzip ok?

----------------

Thanks for posting the files.

Yes, they unzip ok. They play well too. However, I couldn't hear the higher frequencies. Maybe the itty-bitty speakers in my headphones are not able to play them. I hope downloading them is not considered piracy ! 3.gif

I loved the lively discussion about the copyright stuff. My two cents is that Napster, Kazaa et al. are primarily used for piracy. But going after Girl Scouts or anybody just singing for one's own, or for that matter a group's own, pleasure is going overboard 7.gif . That ranges on the side of lunacy.

This is not to aggravate anybody, just my opinion. And a free bump ! 2.gif

----------------

On 8/6/2003 9:30:17 AM jhingalala wrote:

However, I couldn't hear the higher frequencies.

----------------

hmmm... depends which frequencies... as i can't hear anything over 16,000hz either. I do get a reading from the test tones with a SPL meter though. 2.gif

Actually when i tested my hearing at a local science centre, i don't hear much over 15,800Hz while my younger girlfriend beats me with about 16,000hz. Kinda puts that 20 to 20,000hz rating into perspective, doesn't it?

----------------

On 8/6/2003 9:40:57 AM formica wrote:

hmmm... depends which frequencies... as i can't hear anything over 16,000hz either. I do get a reading from the test tones with a SPL meter though.
2.gif

Actually when i tested my hearing at a local science centre, i don't hear much over 15,800Hz while my younger girlfriend beats me with about 16,000hz. Kinda puts that 20 to 20,000hz rating into perspective, doesn't it?

----------------

I guess I just didn't want to admit that it could have been my ears 1.gif1.gif1.gif

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 7/9/2003 9:08:41 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

The NCH tone generator is a great cheap way to makes tones for yourself. I have
which works great for me.

----------------

Damn, I just went to their website to check out that CD and they don't show it listed anymore not to mention have their site is busted.

Well..... Going back and looking closer, they do have a note on the top of their page indicating the site is undergoing changes.