Good wood-cleaner for speakers?

nicholtl

I have a pair of Forte II in "oiled" walnut. They are terrific but the veneer took a beating in some areas. They needed some cleaning at least.

I bought some Whatlee's (sp?) lemon oil at the local hardware store. You can find similar fluids at the grocery store too. They come in a half pint bottle.s

However, let me give you the big picture.

The typical furnature cleaner in a bottle is mostly mineral oil. That means it is somewhere between light motor oil and kerosene. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but you have to appreciate that it is not something which hangs around too long. They throw in some lemon perfume and call it lemon oil.

It is certainly good stuff to wipe down the wood and will get off some grunge, dust, tobacco residue, and not harm the wood and whatever finish is on it. There will be a glossy film residue which may look dramatic; it leaves a shine for a short time. It evetually evaporates.

The so called "oided" finish mean that the varnish has been thinned down with an oil to allow it to be wiped on. You're not recreating that with the lemon/ mineral oil.

Gil

I should have been more careful.

There was some traffic that Klipsch uses a form of boiled linseed oil on its speakers, this may be different than thinned out varnish. There are a lot of recipes for oil finishes.

Also, I'd pointed out that the the mineral oil, with a bit of lemon, is what you typically find at an ACE, True Value, or HD as furnature polish.

The primary ingredient, mineral oil, I was talking about is probably very close to the mineral oil used on infants' bottoms. No lemon added. And of course in the latter application, it does not build a finish but, rather, evaporates slowly.

Gil

----------------

On 7/9/2003 10:12:08 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

I guess a high pressure water hose wouldnt help. I use it on BOSE speakers.

----------------

I like the way you think (big surprise, eh?).

fini

----------------

On 7/8/2003 11:34:39 PM nicholtl wrote:

Does anybody know of a good wood cleaner that is safe to use on the reference series speakers? I have lemon-fresh pledge, but wasn't sure if that was for wood or leather or little more than a lemon air freshner.

----------------

According to the user's guide for the reference (as stated by the original poster) speakers:

Care and Cleaning of your Reference Series Speakers

Your speakers have a durable vinyl or real wood veneer finish that should only require dry dusting or cleaning with a damp cloth. Avoid the use of abrasive or solvent-based cleaners and harsh detergents. The brush attachment of your vacuum or a slightly damp sponge should remove any dust from your speaker grilles.

- from Reference Series User's Guide.

Personally, I just treat mine like any other piece of fine furniture (such as my new butcher-block dining room table and chairs) and just use a decent furniture polish to keep them clean. I think the Pledge that you are using should be good enough.

Now, for the Heritage speakers with the "Oiled" finishes, the suggestions mentioned in the other posts would be appropriate.