Chorus II Freq Response

Geo1

11 hours ago, raeggis said:

Right value HF is 6000 Hz 

I didn't see any listed crossover spec's in the link you provided, are you saying that the actual crossover points are 600hz and 6000hz for the Chorus II? 

On 4/25/2018 at 8:26 PM, brians7 said:

What we need is a limited run of Chorus lll in Pecan but  African walnut would work.

+1 to that....Not the Pecan.....Walnut would work for me......

George

Just saw this was started in 2003......2003 was long ago

5 hours ago, oldred said:

+1 to that....Not the Pecan.....Walnut would work for me......

George

Just saw this was started in 2003......2003 was long ago

A 2003 tread is equally interesting to me. 

4 hours ago, raeggis said:

A 2003 tread is equally interesting to me. 

That is fine, I was just trying to figure out what specs you were referencing were wrong, where you were looking at the specs (web page).  The pointers in this thread point to several pages and I found the cut sheets which didn't list the crossover points from Klipsch.

Since the crossovers are basically the same (very close) on a number of the line,  if the speakers are up in the efficiency of the KLF 30 / Chorus II with almost the exact same components, it seems most of the listed crossovers for the tweeter are 7K.  Same crossover components on the tweeter and natural rolloff on the midrange sans crossover.  Can a little measurement variation or evaluation account for a 1K difference?  Possibly but I don't references so can't verify.

47 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

That is fine, I was just trying to figure out what specs you were referencing were wrong, where you were looking at the specs (web page).  The pointers in this thread point to several pages and I found the cut sheets which didn't list the crossover points from Klipsch.

Since the crossovers are basically the same (very close) on a number of the line,  if the speakers are up in the efficiency of the KLF 30 / Chorus II with almost the exact same components, it seems most of the listed crossovers for the tweeter are 7K.  Same crossover components on the tweeter and natural rolloff on the midrange sans crossover.  Can a little measurement variation or evaluation account for a 1K difference?  Possibly but I don't references so can't verify.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120422070407/http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-ii-floorstanding-speaker

7 minutes ago, raeggis said:

Ah thanks.  That could only be correct if the midrange was down about 4db from the tweeter.  I doubt that is the case based on the drivers and crossover.  I would think the 7k would be more correct.  I always worried more about the midrange to woofer crossover due to the 15" driver vs the  tweeter.  Probably never paid attention to what was written.

Well if you look at the spec's for the Quartet and forte II they both use the same mid horn / driver tweeter as the Chorus II and they list the crossover frequencies at 650hz & 7000hz, I just find it odd that the Chorus 1 with the older k-601 horn would have the same rating as the newer versions while the Chorus II from the same timeline has a different crossover range at 600hz and 5000hz, seems logical to me that it would be the other way around. 

When I tested the forte II mid horn awhile back I got a fairly flat response (+/-4db?) from about 620hz-6700hz which seems to correspond close to published spec's. 

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Well if you look at the spec's for the Quartet and forte II they both use the same mid horn / driver tweeter as the Chorus II and they list the crossover frequencies at 650hz & 7000hz, I just find it odd that the Chorus 1 with the older k-601 horn would have the same rating as the newer versions while the Chorus II from the same timeline has a different crossover range at 600hz and 5000hz, seems logical to me that it would be the other way around. 

When I tested the forte II mid horn awhile back I got a fairly flat response (+/-4db?) from about 620hz-6700hz which seems to correspond close to published spec's. 

Also look at the electronics behind the drivers.  Same components.  Only thing that will change the xo is the tilt between the output of the drivers.  Then it can shift one way or the other.  

56 minutes ago, geoff. said:

raeggis, thanks for the link!

Here is a screenshot for when this one disappears into the darkweb too. Lol

FB063495-CEA3-4088-883F-9A8D8BBC3A9D.png

I have tested signal generator from bass to mid , and mid to high. I get the same tone at 600 Hz. The result from mid to high was 6000 Hz on Chorus II

6 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Curious how you tested. Equipment used?  Cabinet loaded? REW?

Here is the widely accepted frequency response chart for the Forte II in red.

The chart states "k-53" which is an original forte I k-701 exponential type horn but anyway my test was done through the forte II crossover 1 foot in front of the center of the horn with a radioshack spl meter and cheezy youtube frequency sweep audio track, I was comparing the A55-g mid driver on a k-601 tractrix horn to a stock forte II horn and driver. I wouldn't bet the house on accuracy but close enough ballpark for me and my needs.

1 hour ago, 314carpenter said:

Was there ever a comparison done between the K52/53-Ti mid and the A55-G? With who's ears?

Not sure about that one, I have had the TI driver twice in my Chorus II's, both times they were removed because they were "too hot" for my ears. The A55-g goes the opposite direction and is slightly more laid back, output I believe was down about 2db over stock drivers. It would be interesting to level match them or at least dial the TI drivers down a bit then do a head to head.

I know a lot of people like the TI mid drivers but I have to wonder if the slight increase in output over stock isn't giving the illusion of "clearer" output, at least at lower volume. 

All of these drivers are great and really preference is going to be subjective and dependent on multiple variables so I'm always a firm believer in trying thing out for yourself and coming to your own conclusions when possible.