Chorus II Freq Response

Geo1

Can somebody tell me why the Chorus II has a low end frequency response of only 39Hz when it has a 15" woofer and a 15" passive radiator. Both the Forte and Quartet have a deeper low end response with smaller bass drivers, smaller passive radiators and in smaller boxes. Just investigating this seeming violation of the laws of physics.

there can be hundreds of different reasons why. one of the reasons is simply the driver/cabinet design. mainly these are just nubers to look pretty reality it will go down to 32hz. maybe at 5db down, i'm just guessing here. most speaker manufacturers will spec there product within a 3db window from XXHz to XXKHz, point is its marketing. nothing wrong with that, its just the way its done. the speaker will more than likey play down to 20Hz, but it may be 10db down from 39Hz. Your room will bring this number up, becuase these numbers are taken from an anechoic chamber.

While I agree with everything you said, it still puzzles me. The specs on Klipsch's site for the Chorus II, the Forte II and the Quartet are stated within +/-3dB. That, then, becomes a constant. Generally, when the low frequency spec is given, that is the -3dB point, so I assume that each speaker is down 3dB at that low frequecy number. And, while each speaker certainly has some output below that -3dB reference point, it doesn't seem likely to me that Chorus II's output would go up from that -3dB point. Also, the cabinets are similarly shaped since they belong to the same "family" of speakers, So I don't think the design of the cabinet would limit the low frequecy output of the Chorus II's. It's just got me wondering.

----------------

On 7/10/2003 11:20:52 AM Geo1 wrote:

Also, the cabinets are similarly shaped since they belong to the same "family" of speakers, So I don't think the design of the cabinet would limit the low frequecy output of the Chorus II's. It's just got me wondering.

----------------

well if the cabinets r the same (same i mean close in size, shape) then a 15 would require more volume than the 12 to produce the same amount of spl. were only talking about chamber curves here. those #'s are meaningless in the house.

Well, that's one of the things that's so puzzling. The cabinets are not the same size. As you go from Quartet up to Forte and on up to Chorus, the cabinets get taller, wider and deeper with larger woofers and passive radiators. Plus, I'm assuming that the specs published by Klipsch come from measuring in their anechoic chamber.

Smaller drivers inherently have the ability to provide the widest frequency response at the expense of SPLs. It is really an efficiency/response tradeoff. Anything below 40Hz or so is going to have a fair amount of distortion anyway. That is what sub-woofers are for!

----------------

On 7/10/2003 7:16:39 PM jerohm wrote:

Smaller drivers inherently have the ability to provide the widest frequency response at the expense of SPLs. It is really an efficiency/response tradeoff. Anything below 40Hz or so is going to have a fair amount of distortion anyway. That is what sub-woofers are for!

----------------

i agree.

i would be using a sub for anything less than than 70Hz almost always.

There are at least two things going on.

One is that there is a tradeoff between box size, the F3 (3dB down point of bass response), and efficency. There is a general equation which I don't have at hand.

You'll note that the Chorus II has better effeciency than the Quartet or Forte.

The second thing, not quite involved here, is that box size and driver size do generally, very generally, "scale." That is to say you can't put a bigger driver in a given sized box, and get a lower F3. Otherwise it would make sense to put the guts of any of these speakers in a box which is much smaller.

Now, you should say, "okay", why not take the unit with the best F3, which is the Forte, scale it up to the size of a Chorus, and preserve the F3, and also hit the target of increased efficency.

My guess is that it might be possible to get the F3 and efficency, but it would be a much bigger box than the Chorus.

It is a wonder that the Chorus, and the Cornwall, which it was to "replace" hit the 103 dB mark as it.

Gil

Well, I guess, ultimately, that's at the heart of my curiosity. That is, the tradeoff, if any, between high sensitivity and low frequency response. All other things being equal, in theory, a larger low frequency driver in a larger box will produce lower frequency response than a smaller driver in a smaller box. Of course, there are tricks of the trade for squeezing lower frequencies out of smaller boxes with smaller drivers, but even those can only go so far. It just struck me as odd that the Quartet's and Forte's rated frequency responses were lower than the Chorus II's, when they come in smaller boxes and use smaller low frequency drivers. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

• 14 years later...
On 9.7.2003 at 4:04 PM, Geo1 said:

Can somebody tell me why the Chorus II has a low end frequency response of only 39Hz when it has a 15" woofer and a 15" passive radiator. Both the Forte and Quartet have a deeper low end response with smaller bass drivers, smaller passive radiators and in smaller boxes. Just investigating this seeming violation of the laws of physics.

Klipsch has some wrong information on the values of their speakers. It is strange that no one has made a thread on this subject.  😉

On 4/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, raeggis said:

Klipsch has some wrong information on the values of their speakers. It is strange that no one has made a thread on this subject.  😉

Are you responding to the 15yr old post or are you opening this thread back up and stating the specs are incorrect?

On 27.4.2018 at 12:20 PM, pzannucci said:

Are you responding to the 15yr old post or are you opening this thread back up and stating the specs are incorrect?

Yeah!

See at specs. Midrange operate at 600 Hz to 6000 Hz . 🤗

https://web.archive.org/web/20120422070407/http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-ii-floorstanding-speaker

Edited by raeggis
Link

https://web.archive.org/web/20120422070407/http://www.klipsch.com:80/chorus-ii-floorstanding-speaker#second

These spec's here actually show a mid response of 600-5000 but the rest seem to be spot on. 

SPECIFICATIONS

• BUILT FROM: 1990
  • BUILT UNTIL: 1996
  • CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF 5,000 Hz<br>LF 600 Hz
  • DIMENSIONS: 39" (99.06cm) x 18.5" (46.99cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm)
  • ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator
  • FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 39Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
  • HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
  • MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 121dB SPL
  • MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
  • MIDRANGE: K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
  • POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)
  • SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 1watt/1meter
  • TWEETER: K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
  • WEIGHT: 89 lbs. (40.4kg)
  • WOOFER: K-48-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-16 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive