JBL LE-15A

Deang

Whatcha gonna do with this9.gif

I would ask Guy Landau about this. I did some JBL investigation a while back, and Guy answered many of my questions.....he knows much more of the technical stuff than I do. These are VERY capable woofers, appearing in JBL's most serious efforts over the years.

Are you going to build your own L200s?1.gif?3.gif?4.gif?9.gif?10.gif?16.gif?12.gif

Get on the www.audioheritage.org & bring up disscussions forum & they will provide everything about all JBL systems. I have used the JBL LE-15 Its quite impressive. But the JBL 2234 or 2235 I felt was better. None of the above for horn use. A woofer alone is of no use unless propper cabinet tuning is done. The audioheritage guys are experts on this. I wont get into details about these woofers on this site.

"I have used the JBL LE-15 Its quite impressive. But the JBL 2234 or 2235 I felt was better. None of the above for horn use."

Certain aspects of the LE-15 look good for horn use, the mass corner is about the same as the Klipsch K33, the efficency is within 0.5dB(but the sensitivity is lower due to the higher impedance).

While JBL used the LE-15 in the horn-loaded Paragon, it would not be a good choice for the Klipschorn.

The foam surround is too 'floppy' to drive the narrow 3" Klipschorn throat.

Is there a better driver for the Klipschorn?

I might be inclined to say 'yes', until cost is factored in.

All-in-all 90% of the sound of the horn is determined by the horn itself, not the driver.

djk Not so fast day old bread breath. Going over Paul Klipsh,s tech. papers.its the other way around. Its 90 percent of the driver that determins the sound of the horn. AS Paul has said many times. "I buy you books send you to school but what do you do ? You eat the covers

Dont ask me to do your home work for you but Ill point you in the right direction. AUDIO CYCLOPEDIA by Howard M Tremaine. HI-FI LOUDSPEAKERS AND ENCLOSURES by Abraham B Cohen. DeanG ...Both. LE-15 Power capacity 120W Efficiency 82 db Voice coil dia. 4" Magnet wt 20 lb Flux density (gauss) 11,000

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/reference/tech1-3a/page09.jpg

The LE-15 is 2.6% efficent vs the K33 at 2.9%, this is only 1/2dB.

The real problem is the resistance of the LE-15 is 8.8 ohms vs 3.2 on the K33.

If you ran the 3.2 ohm K33 on the 4 ohm tap of a tube amplifier and the 8.8 ohm LE-15 on the 16 ohm tap, the LE-15 would be about 1dB louder than the K33.

The original Klipschorn had a 6" X 13" throat closer in size to what the Paragon used. Later Klipsch went to a motorboard with a 3" X 13" throat, but if removed you will still have the 6" X 13" opening. The LE-15 would work with the larger throat.

The Hartsfield (a cornerhorn) and the Paragon both used the 150-4C originally, later the Paragon switched to the LE-15.

The 150-4C used the 130 motor with a frame spacer and a straight sided, deeper cone.

The LE-15 had a much bigger magnet so it could have a longer travel with the coil still in the gap(underhung).

The K145 has the underhung LE-15 motor, but with a straight sided, deeper cone, and a stiffer suspension. The E145 is the newer version of this driver.

Classic Audio Reproductions uses the E145 in their Hartsfield horn.

http://community-1.webtv.net/KerrB/VINTAGETUBEAMPHORN/scrapbookFiles/mailedD9.jpg

Note that the Hartsfield is about 6" shorter than the Klispchorn.

djk attaboy now your cooking with high octain. I new you guys could dig it up. Ive tried the LE-15 with an added cork spacer to keep the cone from hitting moter board. It sounded ok but lost some definition in the 400/500 region. The JBL 150-4 or E145 faired better in this area. But lost a little ground below 40 HZ. I tried this on my K horn & my Paragon. Hartsfield too dim to remember. Ide like to hear the latest Hartsfield with the TAD woofers & HF drivers.