What were your first good speakers?

kohill

In high school I had a pair of Jensen 3 way speakers. The big ones with either 15 or 16 or maybe even 18 inch woofers. I sold them to a friend when I bought my cornwalls and he still has them. No comparison to the corns of course. The jensens are hornless.14.gif

P41922283.jpg

That's easy...My first truely good loudspeakers were my JBL L112 Century II 3-way monitors. Bought 'em new in 1983 in Stuttgart, Germany of all places. Used them faithfully for years, and then gave them to my younger brother in 1997 when I purchased my second truely good loudspeakers (Magnepan MGLR1 planars). My brother still uses my JBL's as a center channel for his HT system (wired in parallel to his Yamaha AV receiver. He's also using my Maggies for the mains to the same system now that I have my Cornwalls...believe it or not, the Maggies and the JBL's blend very well together; it's uncanny)!4.gif

post-11084-13819248405044_thumb.jpg

My first decent speakers (not counting the Karlson couplers with the Oxford drivers, which hardly anybody would) were Bozak B-301s. Then I bought a pair of Altec Valencias which had been in a fire. Fixed them up and sold them to pay for my Cornwalls. It's been close to thirty years now, and it's still one of the best purchases I've ever made.2.gif

My first really good speaker was a single homebrew monaural corner horn with a 12" Jensen coupled to a midrange and a tweeter. Sold it for dick all while in university because my wife and kid and I needed food ! Trust me Kraft Dinner's Ready ! can actually sound better than Beethoven's Fifth at times .

9.gif

My first decent stereo pair were Dynaco A25's

I thought my Yamaha NS-5's were good when I got them in '78. I used those until I got KG4's 20 years later, which has led to a flury of speaker purchases including KSP-400's, Cornwalls, Pioneer HPM-100's. Sansui SP-L700's and various others. It's sick, really.

fini

The first set of really great speakers that I listened to was a set of Khorns owned by a friend. They got me hooked on Klipsch; nothing sells Klipsch like Khorns.

My first good speakers were Klipsch CF-2s; now it is a Reference 7 system with RSW-15 sub.

Bill

Had some small speaker that had 8" drivers, but can't remember the name. So my first good ones were JBL 4311 ( 1972 $329 each). Basically the studio version of the L100. Look very similar to Tidwell's L112, but the tweeter is a paper cone without the screen over them. The good news is that I still have them, and they still sound great.

Marvel

The first good pair of speakers I owned were Cornwalls. I had several other models prior to those, including a pair of Advents and Peavey towers. They were just "stop gap speakers" to use until I finally got the Cornwalls.

Cornwall or Chorus = minimum acceptable standard in a full range main speaker, at least to these ears. I was never really happy with anything else lower in the Klipsch line. Outside of Klipsch, then I look to vintage JBL and Altec.

There's not much else commercially available that interests me. I spent 20 years looking at many other brands and models, in all different price ranges - and never saw or heard anything else that really pleased me. Even the "audiophile" megabux speakers from other companies (B&W, M-L, Magnepan, etc) where price was no object did not impress, having heard the Heritage Klipsch.

"Cornwall or Chorus = minimum acceptable standard in a full range main speaker, at least to these ears."

Hmmm, ever hear the Forte? Not quite as boomy as the Chorus; slightly more accurate to these ears; in fact, one of the most accurate speakers I've ever heard.

To stay on topic, the first pair of speakers I owned was Boston Acoustics A60's (circa 1984)... only $200/pr, but I considered them to be very acceptable.

The second pair of speakers I owned was the Klipsch Forte (1988), and they are still entertaining and delighting me, and are the pillars of my home theater set-up.

I've heard Martin-Logan's and Paradigms recently; the Logans produced a very nice soundstage and refined sound, but seemed to lack the "punch" the Forte's have made me expect. The Paradigms were way too "dark" to my ears, seemed somewhat muddy in sound execution. It could have been the HT room they were set up in; lots of heavy curtains. I sure wasn't sold on their performance that day...

Electrovoice Interface A purchased sometime circa, uh, 1975?

Anybody remember them? Passive bass radiator with enormous phallic looking mass loading device (cylinder like 8 inches long and 2 inches wide) sticking out from center of cone.

Drove them with a Nikko receiver rated at "300 watts" per channel. Receiver was the size of a smaller Samsonite steamer trunk.

Ah, those were the days...

1974- I bought a pair of Braun L710 monitors (2- 7" woofers, 2" midrange, 1" tweeter). The Brauns replaced a pair of decent EPI 150. The Brauns were SWEEETTT! I kept them for several years until replacng them with Spendor 1/2.

Sadly, ADS took over the US distribution and the apparently decided to import only budget stuff.

1974- I bought a pair of Braun L710 monitors (2- 7" woofers, 2" midrange, 1" tweeter). The Brauns replaced a pair of decent EPI 150. The Brauns were SWEEETTT! I kept them for several years until replacng them with Spendor 1/2.

Sadly, ADS took over the US distribution and the apparently decided to import only budget stuff.

My first higher dollar speakers, not necessarily good, were Bournagolis (sp? help me out here if anybody knows what I am talking about), they were panel speakers made of some sort of styrofoam and had little hammers that caused the foam to resonate at the various frequencies, quite bizarre actually. They imaged well and sounded great at low volumes. I had them for about a month before I broke them... I traded them in on my Khorns 9.gif