What were your first good speakers?

kohill

I guess the first pair of speakers that I would consider decent that I owned has to be my Infinity RS2000.5 towers. I bought those shortly after moving into my own house nearly 7 years ago. I still have them and they did sound pretty good.

Of course, I now currently have my Reference 7 setup.

My first good speakers were JBL L150's which I bought in 1981 in the Army PX in Germany. I bought them as an alternative to La Scala's which were too big and heavy and infeasible for someone in the Army. Later, I bought a pair of JBL L15's which were much smaller, but sounded remarkably similar to the L150's. At one point I had the L15's set up as rear surrounds using a Hafler circuit which wired the fronts and rears out of phase in such a way that it created a persuasive ambient field. Those JBL's were great speakers.

----------------

On 7/14/2003 8:48:05 PM Geo1 wrote:

..."I had the L15's set up as rear surrounds using a Hafler circuit which wired the fronts and rears out of phase in such a way that it created a persuasive ambient field."

----------------

P6131809.jpg

Geo1, I used to have a tiny Dynaco unit based on Hafler's circuit that served as my very first surround sound system (before Dolby Pro Logic)...it was okay, but it couldn't compete with Dolby's system.

My second best loudspeakers, the Magnepan MGLR1 as shown above.

post-11084-13819248405874_thumb.jpg

Magnepan MGLR1 are superb speakers,for true audiophiles only.I heard a few Magnepan models and all I remember is the exquisite and fluid midrange and upper registers.A true transparency revelator

My first great speakers were the Dynaudio Contour 1.1 in rosewood I still have and they perform well beyond their size,to this day I heard very few minimonitors capable of besting(not by much)these gems,and all cost way more.

Dynaudio was my first contact with true High-End,and my Celeste 4070 my first true quality power amp.

Heard a pair of used Dynaudio towers several years back at a high-end audio salon in St. Petersburg (can't recall the model). Gawd, they were awesome sounding! Driven by two McIntosh MC1000 monoblocks and some massive garden hose speaker cables that cost as much as my car (and a Wadia CD transport as a single source, and no sub)! This setup sat in the very centre of the spacious two-story lobby nowhere near any walls, and the sound was as spacious and full of life as the lobby they were in! Wow, it must be sweet to be rich...if I had the tens of thousands of dollars it cost to own such a system as that one, I would've wrote out a check right then and there!

Took my summer savings, drove to a stereo outlet in Rockville, MD. 'Heard Harman Kardon and ESS/Heil AMT's and loved them but could not afford them. Ended up buying Large Advents ($119 each for utility cabinets), JVC S-31 Integrated Amp, Phillips TT + Audio Technica cartridge. I had the best sounding system on my dorm floor.

First decent- HHScott 3-way-now in bedroom- Purchased in about'94 for $100 with SS reciever.

First true quality- 76 KB-WL Khorn $700/pr w/ light cosmetic damage (mostly hidden) What a way to get into Klipsch!!

Braun L510 bookshelf speakers. Bought them used in 1980 for $200 candian. Still have them in my kitchen (had to replace woofers - foam rotted).

First Klipsch product was a pair of Cornwall II in VG condition for $750CDN 5 years ago. I have never looked back.

I now have 3 corwalls for HT fronts, 2 pairs of Heresy II, a single Heresy I, 3 KG-1.5, and a pair of KG-2.2 (or 2.5)

Doug