What were your first good speakers?

kohill

----------------

On 7/14/2003 10:10:47 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Heard a pair of used Dynaudio towers several years back at a high-end audio salon in St. Petersburg (can't recall the model). Gawd, they were awesome sounding! Driven by two McIntosh MC1000 monoblocks and some massive garden hose speaker cables that cost as much as my car (and a Wadia CD transport as a single source, and no sub)! This setup sat in the very centre of the spacious two-story lobby nowhere near any walls, and the sound was as spacious and full of life as the lobby they were in! Wow, it must be sweet to be rich...if I had the tens of thousands of dollars it cost to own such a system as that one, I would've wrote out a check right then and there!

----------------

I have a pair of Dynaudio components in my vehicle, best sounding set i have ever heard in a car. Though i have not had a chance to audition some MB Quarts(most winning name in car audio). Anyway, i am about to build some bookshelfs with a 7" Dynaudio woofer and a Vifa tweeter. i can't wait to hear them.

In 9th grade bought sony reciever and koss pro4aa headphones,then ar2ax speakers,then altec something,then LaScala finally found nirvana lol had them since 1980...in that time i have heard a lot of Bull**** and still Klipsch blows them all away with 10 watts....which is very funny when you think about it.....rick9.gif

My Forte II's. Bought them new some 12 years ago. They were my first and last (so far) speaker purchase.

Since then I have upgraded everything in my system except the Forte's and the sound out of them keeps getting better with each change.

My first good pair of speakers were the Forte II, bought in '93 as the start of a HT. Heard the Forte back in '87 when my parents bought a pair, and I knew I'd own Klipsch. Haven't looked back, and have certainly added to my collection!

both of my first good speakers were cerwin-vegas. i got a pair of cv floor standers from my dad, lots of bass, and i liked'em. i also had (1979)cv 6x9's in the back of my car, 5 1/2lb.magnet structure!!2-way w/a nice tweeter..but man!could they pump out the bass!

i've never had a pair of speakers like my klf-30's...

don't think i'll ever replace 'em.

avman.9.gif

I remember doing an A/B of the Electrovoice Interface A vs. a pair of EPI 100's around 1974. I wound up buying the EPI's because the EVs were too expensive. The EV's had better bass response and as I remember a better overall speaker than the EPI. That really says a lot for the EV since the EPI was no slouch. I still own a pair of EPI 100's.

In those days there were a number of "HI-FI" shops geared toward the average joe with fairly decent listening rooms. You could listen to your hearts content. Today the listening rooms around here are "snobs who sell to snobs".

Well in these days we have this forum which is great and for which I am truly thankful.

3 weeks after I started my first job in '79, I went from a soundesign 8-track system to an Onkyo receiver & a pair of brand new La Scalas. I remember shaking so bad I could not even read the check I wrote for them.

• 17 years later...
On 7/13/2003 at 4:44 PM, fini said:

I thought my Yamaha NS-5's were good when I got them in '78. I used those until I got KG4's 20 years later, which has led to a flury of speaker purchases including KSP-400's, Cornwalls, Pioneer HPM-100's. Sansui SP-L700's and various others. It's sick, really.

fini

Funny....flurry of speakers....me too....I liked my 1980 /   Pioneer HPM 900s .... military over seas....now a days just have some Infinity RS 325 ,  SM 85  & Boston A60s....all good enough

5 hours ago, Fomoco69 said:

KG 4s are hard to beat if you have the room....I had some 4.2s.....but have had to down size since then

You're replying to a thread from 2003.  Most of the people who posted in it haven't been on the forum in years. 

Holy throw back Monday. 

17 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

You're replying to a thread from 2003.  Most of the people who posted in it haven't been on the forum in years. 

Yeah, but the tread lives on.

My brother gave me some CV D-5s in 1983. I still have them, they are some great rockers. 

• Haha 1

Well, since we have a bunch of old farts responding to a necrotic-thread ...

Doesn't it depend on what the meaning of good.....is?

My very first speakers were some 2-way SuperScope speakers.  No idea of model nor woofer size.  I was in my mid-teens.  Under the impression that "more drivers make a better speaker" I went to Radio Shack (walked to & from, couple miles each way....true story)  and bought an off the shelf midrange (only ONE at that....  should I have ruined BOTH speakers??).  Did I know anything about it?  Nope.  Took a drill & saw and hacked a hole into the motor board.    

NOW what am I going to do?  I have no idea.....  I think I'll attach this wire to ummmmmm...  THAT one in that tangle of wires thingy....and I'll take this OTHER wire and attach it to....hmmmm....  that OTHER wire in that tangle of wires thingy.

Though I think it technically "worked" it was an abysmal failure and of course, I ruined the speaker.  I believe I wired them in parallel to the tweeter but am not 100% today.

Several years later, I bought a pair of EV Interface D's (1978), then LaScalas (1979).

So I bought the LaScalas new to me (not second hand)....  so at age 61 (since we're talking necrotic thread...)  I've owned them for 68% of my life (and that percent will only go up).....  so who else has bought new and owned some for 68% of your life at age 61 cause I'm chasing after you!!!

• Like 1