What were your first good speakers?

kohill

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

So I bought the LaScalas new to me (not second hand)....  so at age 61 (since we're talking necrotic thread...)  I've owned them for 68% of my life (and that percent will only go up).....  so who else has bought new and owned some for 68% of your life at age 61 cause I'm chasing after you!!!

DCM QED, 1978. In use as surrounds in my living room as I write this. I'm 62, so that's 69% of my life.

"Good" speakers?

It depends.

I had a pair of 15" JBL D130s, with Xovers and 075 tweeters in JBL C34 rear loaded corner horn enclosures.  It was one variety of JBLs 030s (D130 + 075).

They were very articulate, and, with very good recordings they could sound very good.  With bad recordings, they could drive me up the wall.  On those recordings, without EQ, they tended to sound harsh.

I futzed around with EQ for them for years.  I finally settled on the following: crossover setting of 2.5 (the continuously variable control was marked 1  2  3  4 ), and on my McIntosh c28 preamp, Bass control at +2 (boost of about 9 dB at 40 Hz), Bass trim control full (+ another 5 dB at 40 Hz), and treble at Flat, +1, or +2, (Flat+ 4 dB or +8 dB, at 10K Hz), depending on the recording, almost always at Flat for the treble.  Some recordings sounded terrific.

My present Khorns (AK4) are less of a problem, but they get EQ with Audyssey FLAT, from the MLP.  The two of them (the JBLs and the Khorns) sound more alike than they do like acoustic suspension  speakers like the AR3A, or most other speakers.

Grew up with Bose 601 series 1 in the house.  Never realized how bad they were until I bought new JBL L60T's in 1989.  They imaged!

Bough RF7's in the late 90s and then took them back.  Too harsh but I now realize that it was my CD Player. 

Second real speakers, Tigerwood Klipschorns about 13 years after buying the JBLs.  Ye ha! 

I grew up with the Heresys that were in my parents living room and which i redicovered thanka to this forum. The first bought from my own money were my KG1.5, that was in 1994. These now have their second life as my PC speakers after beeing cosmeticaly touched up, also cudos to this forum.

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Bough RF7's in the late 90s and then took them back.  Too harsh but I now realize that it was my CD Player. 

Knowing that now, would You consider buying them again?

The first non-disgusting speakers I bought were a pair of Dynaco A-25s.  They sounded pretty good to my non-expert ears, and I liked the very thin linen grille cloth.  A few years later, I sold them to my brother, along with the Yamaha CR-600 receiver I'd been using to power them.  Then I got a Yamaha CR-1020 receiver and a pair of Audio Logic AL-750s, which are very similar to the Klipsch Forte in size, if not in sound.  I still have them, 41 years later, and they're now in the bedroom.  The original surrounds failed in 2004, so I had them replaced then.  Hopefully, the new surrounds will last another 24 years.  Those 4 speakers were all bought new.

In 2006, I finally got the La Scalas that I'd been dreaming about, on and off, since I saw a pair at a Klipsch dealer's in 1972.  I got the brochures for the La Scalas and the Belle Klipsches, and liked both of them.  By 2009, I had a pair of each, and my life is the richer for it.  In 2013, a Forum member posted notice that he wanted to sell his LS2s, low milers in top condition.  He was located in Delta, south of Vancouver, not far from the ferry landing.  Done deal!  He even had the original boxes, so we packed up the 2-piece speakers in the 4 boxes that they came in.

The boxes, of course, are bigger than the speakers, so the van was pretty well completely full.  With the help of my neighbour and my trusty 4-wheeled hand truck, all 4 boxes made it upstairs safely, and before long I was hearing improved music.  The La Scala IIs do sound better than the original La Scalas.  Those 6 speakers, plus 2 pairs of Heresy IIs, were all bought used, and the LS2s were in top condition, just as advertised .

The original La Scalas have been with me for just over 20% of my life, so you guys are way ahead of me.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Edgar said:

DCM QED, 1978. In use as surrounds in my living room as I write this. I'm 62, so that's 69% of my life.

:emotion-21:

Rhetorical question (since a thread this old is free to crap on??)

When does one change from an old fart to an old coot??

4 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

I’ll try and answer that question; when your farts no longer smell and you get out of bed several times in the middle of the night and waddle to the toilet to pee. 

What???  You still get out of bed for that?

:unsure2:  :blush2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Infinity Qb. My neighbor was throwing them out. They sounded good, but were ugly. Sure enough the tweeters finally failed and I had crap Sonys and Corals for a minute. Then came Polk Audio SDA2, Infinity RS4b, Polk SDA1, Klipsch Heresy, Polk SDA SRS, Klipsch Cornwall (traded some Polks), and finally Klipsch La Scala. Now there have been other sprinkled in there too. I still have the SDA SRS , Cornwalls, La Scala, and several pair of Heresys.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

:emotion-21:

Rhetorical question (since a thread this old is free to crap on??)

When does one change from an old fart to an old coot??

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

I'm still trying to figure out when I became old.

1 hour ago, veloceleste said:

I’ll try and answer that question; when your farts no longer smell and you get out of bed several times in the middle of the night and waddle to the toilet to pee. 

- I consider myself between a old fart and old coot - put me down as a coofart 

- when kids with generally no manners call you Sir you’ve reach old status

- farts still smell but not needing the nightly toilet call = the ideal road to old(er)

- The Definition of truly being old = Mr. Tarheel

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Knowing that now, would You consider buying them again?

No, I would not buy the RF7s.  I don't have the room and have too many speakers.  And I am sure that all of my current speakers would also sound bad with that harsh early CD player. 

If I didn't have speakers then yes, I would consider the RF7s.

• Like 1

I hope no one starts throwing rocks at me but the first speakers that sounded great to me were some Bose 901 series11 with 200 watts per channel driving them. I was into rock being played loud and they worked for me until I bought my LaScala's. I still have the Bose 901's after getting them from my son who had them stored away and was not using them. I checked the speakers and they are still in good shape and and have not deteriorated as some of the later versions were prone to do. 

• Like 2

My first "good" speakers were 901's, got them in 1970 and I rocked out with those and a big black Sansui integrated amp.

I thought they were great until I got Heresies in 1977. I still have the Heresies to this day and they sound just as marvelous as they did then.