What were your first good speakers?

kohill

11 minutes ago, wetowne said:

My first "good" speakers were 901's, got them in 1970 and I rocked out with those and a big black Sansui integrated amp.

I thought they were great until I got Heresies in 1977. I still have the Heresies to this day and they sound just as marvelous as they did then.

Great, then Your H1s and mine are about the same age. Difference: At the time my uncle got them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wetowne said:

My first "good" speakers were 901's, got them in 1970 and I rocked out with those and a big black Sansui integrated amp.

I thought they were great until I got Heresies in 1977. I still have the Heresies to this day and they sound just as marvelous as they did then.

Nothing beats the quickness and dynamics of horns. That was the deciding factor on buying my LaScala's and retiring my 901's. Horns have that live sound. Go to any concert and the main speakers you are going to see will be horns. Not everyone likes the live sound in their home so that is the reason that many prefer conventional speakers. 

• Like 2

I remember when a buddy of mine got a pair of 901s. Those were the coveted speaker back then. I thought they sounded great, that is until I stopped into an Audio store and the owner gave me  a demo of the Klipschorns. He played Dark Side of the Moon and my bell bottoms moved. Knew right then and there I needed to buy a pair.

18 hours ago, RickD said:

I remember when a buddy of mine got a pair of 901s. Those were the coveted speaker back then. I thought they sounded great, that is until I stopped into an Audio store and the owner gave me  a demo of the Klipschorns. He played Dark Side of the Moon and my bell bottoms moved. Knew right then and there I needed to buy a pair.

901s are great if you just wanna go deaf. I always crank them up waaaaay to loud. Always seemed to be lacking though. And then came the Klipsch.......

My first good speakers where the B&W DM305's.

I bought them as a student around 15 years ago and these speakers got me really into music. Together with the Marantz 2235, my friend was so impressed he gave me money to find for him the same set. I found a recapped 2230 for him and he still has the set.
These speakers got us both really into music. I still remember when he had to stay at my (student) place for a while, how we would try to bi-wire them and placed the speakers around us while playing Supertramp's - Dreamer. Great times.  

I still have the marantz 2235, but now with Crited up Quartet's which are my first great speakers 🙂 

b-w-dm305.jpg