What pre-amp do YOU use?

Much like what HORNED is asking I need a new preamp. However my buget is a little more limited and I'm interested in an SS unit. I'd say $1500 TOPS, and even that's a strech. My needs are as follows:

Inputs:

1 Tape loop (preferably two)

1 CD

1 Tuner

1 Aux.

1 Phono (MM)

External Processor Loop

Outputs:

1 set of Mains (two would be nice if bi-amping later)

1 for each tape loop

Other Needs:

Loudness switch

Tone Controls not necessary

Headphone jack would be nice but not crucial

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver C-1

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (maybe being mothballed)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

I use a NAD 1600 preamp/tuner, and it has served me well for 10 years now. It has all the features that you are looking for, and you can find them on ebay for around $350-400 in excellent condition.

Not sure if that is something that you are looking for, but thought I would give a response anyhow.

Good Luck,

Steve

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

I believe these will meet your needs. Some of them are even "Klipsch" Products. I'm certain the Aragon will meet any sonic standard you'd want at $1200. The Acurus preamps can often be bought at a small discount.

http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/products/mondialdetail.asp?frame=y&id=305&line=&1

http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/products/mondialdetail.asp?frame=y&id=304&line=&1

http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?path=/products/mondialdetail.asp?frame=y&id=318&line=mondial&1

http://www.parasound.com/products/preamps/pld1100.html

http://www.bkcomp.com/preamp.html

I couldn't get a price on the B&K, but I suspect it is about $1k or less.

These are all 2-channel. You're not going to get much HT Pre/Pro for <$1500 new. A used Pre/Pro would be in your range.

John

I've seen McIntosh C39 preamps go for under $1500 in the used market in the past year, but generally they trade for about $1800 or so. As far as I can tell, this would be just about the perfect preamp for you.

You can find C15s in the used market for $700-$800, bso that's even better (but it's nowhere near the piece of equipment the C39 is).

Both of these units are built like tanks and will provide YEARS of service.

Thanks guys for all the input and keep it commin'. I do have to through in another criteria though, this systen is definitely not going HT, TV? yes. But not HT. The room it's in won't allow for it. The input really is great, KEEP IT COMMIN'!

Sal,

How 'bout the C27?

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-16-2001 at 10:48 PM

I have a C-15 that I got from Audio Classics about 3 months ago for about $1000, shipping included. It's a stripped down version of the C-40 without all the extra tape loops etc. It was a buy back from a dealer that was selling inventory. Like new. These guys have lots of Mac stuff, and it is always as described, plus they warranty their equipment.

Tom,

As an avid "old" McIntosh fan, I suggest virtually any model! I use the C34V myself and I love the "Compander" feature. It will reduce the noise associated with FM stations very nicely when set to expand. I have also used a C27 and it was very good also. The one most people seem to think is the one to avoid though is the C28, but I am really not sure why.

Al K.

ALK, Thanks for the heads-up on the C28. I saw one on eBay for $600 and was this close to getting it.

I just saw a C27 on Audio classics for $650 in mint condition. Sound like the best one so far?

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-17-2001 at 05:55 PM

Tom,

The prices quoted on the website are negotable. They will cut you a better deal. I have dealt with Ryan, but am sure all will treat you right. I have bought 3 Mac pieces from them and have been very pleased. Believe me, I was very nervous about buying sight unseen, but was pleasantly surprised. Good luck....

Tom,

I second what Fred says about Audio Classics. I have bought most of my Mac stuff from them. They are very reliable. I even got the meters and knobs for my home-made power-monitor / scope from them.

Interesting foot-note. Klipsch is using a Mac C28 to run the amp for their anechoic test chamber in Hope. I really don't know what that implies though!

AL K.

You guys have been great helping me through this. Thanks to Al "The Mac God" K's hyperlink I think a decision has been made. It's down to one of two, the C-30 or the C-35. I didn't see either one of them on Audio Classics but that doesn't mean they won't get them. I found another site that claims to have them, http://www.esper.com/macaudio . Any one know anything about these people? I'll have to wait a while before I get it. Just ordered the LAST U-48RW First Edition rack/cabinet from StudioTech yesterday. Half price mind ya! After that recovery we'll get the Big Mac!

Tom,

Yes I know of "Esper". That is "Audio Referbishers". I think the guys name is Tom Manley. Anyhow, I got my MCD7007 CD player from him. It turned out it had a tracking problem when I got it. It had just been worked on my McIntohs and they couldn't find the trouble becasue it wouldn't malfunction when they had it. I found ot myself that it was heat related. Mr Manley took it back and had it sent to McIntosh again and repaired right. The drive motor was bad. It was returned at no extra charge and the 1 year warranty rest to the day I got it back. It has been perfect ever since. I think his prices are a bit higher than Audio Classics though.

Al K/