Terminating this affair

DefBringer

Well guys, I took my v.2-400s back today to Best Buy and got my money back.

I appreciate everybody's help in trying to get around the glaring problems with the ProMedia's mid-range but for $250 there are just too many other better solutions.

I am going to try to find a replacement set for my rehooked-up Boston Acoustic BA635s. I miss the thunderous bass of the Klipsch system already, but the first time I heard Billie Holiday's voice come through my Bostons, I knew I made the right decision in returning the Klipsch.

It is very possible that my ears just receive sounds differently from most people because these ProMedias gave me a headache like you can't believe.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know where he get's this from. I went from Boston Accoustics to the Pro Media and the PM kills the BA in all comparisons. In my tests that also included Billie Holliday. Also Nancy Wilson and Diana Krall. I think the Pro Media has an excellent midrange reproduction even after I listen to my Mirage M1's. If they ever make a 5.1 set up I may upgrade, but until then I will stay with the 400.

quote:

I do not know where he get's this from. I went from Boston Accoustics to the Pro Media and the PM kills the BA in all comparisons. In my tests that also included Billie Holliday. Also Nancy Wilson and Diana Krall. I think the Pro Media has an excellent midrange reproduction even after I listen to my Mirage M1's. If they ever make a 5.1 set up I may upgrade, but until then I will stay with the 400.

Don't forget, sound is very subjective(to an extent at least). Just because you like how music sounds doesn't mean another will like it. Personally, I find the promedias are very inaccurate for critical music listening. Granted, they are only $250, but there are cheaper, more neutral sounding speakers, although they will probably lack the bass of the pros. I plan on selling my set of pro's and getting some bookshelf speakers. This is already out of the league of "multi-media" speakers, so they promedias can't really compare.

One thing can be determined objectively, and that is the accuracy, or flat response of a speaker. accuracy and flat response seem to be the ultimate goals of audiophiles everywhere.

However, not everybody is an audiophile and thus not everybody is looking for the most accurate sound that will give them exactly what is on the record.

Some people are just after enjoying their music and having fun. they want things to sound as good as possible, and if that means adding some kind of color to the original sound, they don't give a flying rat's ***.

and that's where you get into opinions. some people will prefer the sound of Klipsch, with lots of dynamics thanks to the horns, and some other will prefer a flatter sound, where some others could even prefer a really apparent midrange and less highs and lows.

the Promedias are definitely not audiophile speakers.

Klipsch was (I hope) not after perfect reproduction or flat response. They were after a sound that would please most people. Lots of bass, very forward highs, and if that means cutting back on the midrange a bit, it's not that bad.

Apparently they achieved their goal, because most people like the sound of the pros.

Update: I purchased Altec Lansings ATP5s.

They are not the perfect speaker system but if I am going to spend over $300 I might as well just go spend $1000 on an AV receiver and a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers.

**To my ears** these are much more accurate than the ProMedias, have 90% of the low-end grunt that the ProMedia have, and don't give me a headache.