Inversion

maxg

Textf>A quick question. I currently have a pair of heresy 11s connected to an Accuphase E211 amp. I am thinking of getting a 2nd set of Heresy's to invert - running off speaker b.

I am not just looking for a volume increase but staging, and bass proportions (but not to the extent that a sub would do).

Help??

maxg,

I'm not sure, but I assume you are talking about inverting, or reversing phase on the second pair.

Do you plan to place them in the back of your room, to use for passive surround sound? This could be effective, I think, particularly if you can pad down the level to the back pair, if needed. The back pair would need to be out of phase with each other, for this to really work, I believe.

------------------

JDMcCall

If your talking about inverting the phase of the speaker (swapping the + and - terminal connections) then there is a real good chance you'll lose a lot of bass. The air (soundwaves) will be moving in the room but are being cancelled out by the other (woofer) driver.

If your just turn the cabinet upside-down and the tweeter/midrange is closer to the floor, then the accoustic responce will depend on what kind of flooring you have (carpet, hardwood, vinyl, etc.). Carpet will probably "suck" up the HF pretty good and anything hard would have to rely on reflection in order for it to reach your ears. This is all taking for granted that your not lying on the floor when listening.

Good luck,

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver C-1

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (maybe being mothballed)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

quote:

Originally posted by James D McCall:

maxg,

I'm not sure, but I assume you are talking about inverting, or reversing phase on the second pair.

Do you plan to place them in the back of your room, to use for passive surround sound? This could be effective, I think, particularly if you can pad down the level to the back pair, if needed. The back pair would need to be out of phase with each other, for this to really work, I believe.

Sorry - my original posting was misleading. What I want to do is to buy a second pair and place them on top of the original pair but upside down. therefore I will have woofers top and bottom with horns for mids and highs in the middle. I am hoping this will dramatically increase the staging and the base proportion of the sound (without hitting sub- type levels).

Adding a second pair inverted on top of the first will increase the volume 6dB in the bass up to about 300hz tapering off to 3dB above 600hz.Can the Accuphase drive a load that will dip down to 2.7 ohms around 250hz?

quote:

Originally posted by djk:

Adding a second pair inverted on top of the first will increase the volume 6dB in the bass up to about 300hz tapering off to 3dB above 600hz.Can the Accuphase drive a load that will dip down to 2.7 ohms around 250hz?

Wow - that is a detailed answer - I do not know and will try to find out. I was told the accuphase will drive a 2nd pair with no problems but this is a specific detail I had not gone into. When I find out I will let you know.

Thank you for the input.

Regards

Guest BobG

Other than an increase in the bass (which could be obtained with tone controls) the effect will be a degradation in sound quality. This will result from the destructive interference between the two sets of speakers. Just like dropping two rocks in a pond, the waves from the two sets of speakers will interfere with each other. This will result in more ragged midrange and high freqency sound.

Interference on inverted stacked pairs will be in the vertical plane.Tilting the top speaker slightly down will confine the interference to the area between the focal point and the plane of the speakers.Outwards from the focal point to the listening area it will approach a point source and exhibit less off axis lobing than a single speaker.

As the bottom line seems to be that this may not be such a great idea I think I will leave it there. Just had dreams of making a KHorn out of 2 sets of Heresys - should have known I couldnt - silly me!