Weird "spitting noise" on 4.1's every so often.. Is my set bad?

LiQiCE

I just got my Klipsch 4.1 speakers and they're great, I like the sound better than the v2-400's which I already own. I also like that the Pre-Amp doesn't crackle when you turn the volume control. However, I've noticed that every so often you hear the satellites crackle. Its not exactly a crackle, it sounds more like the satellites are spitting a small amount of air at me ... kindof like if you pucker up your lips and push air out between them. Does anyone else have this problem? I know it isn't because of my computer because I have tried this with the speakers disconnected from the computer and it still makes the noise. Its not constant, and it seems almost somewhat random as to when it happens. When the speakers are muted (via the "power" button), the "spitting" does not happen. Its not a huge deal to me, but I was curious if anyone else had this problem... If it is a common "problem" with the 4.1's thats fine, I was only concerned that there was a problem with my speakers.

This message has been edited by LiQiCE on 05-16-2001 at 08:27 PM

that is a small issue with promedias from what i've been reading

i read some where on the boards where you can get rid of crackling noise due to turning the VOL. knob

some guy just twisted/ turned up & down the VOL. knob hundred(alot) times

its like the metal doesn't get good contact.

i get that sometimes too but i've been way to lazy to try what the guy did, i just figure that constant use of the VOL. knob will do it for me.

but don't worry its not a serious problem

------------------

bass beats melody

Well, my problem isn't related to changing the volume or MP3s with crackling in it ... The 4.1's don't crackle at all when changing the volume, and the random crackling I've been getting happens even when the speakers aren't hooked up to anything.. so I know it can't be a bad MP3 at that point .. Smile.gif

After listening to the noise, its really not crackling ... it sounds more like the speaker is spitting a bit of air at me ... kindof like if you pucker your lips and push a bit of air out... Anyone have any ideas?

Wow I was just goin to ask the same question. On my set (4.1) it sounds like a small crackle or distortion. "It" occurs on certain parts of certain songs. After a bit of research I think "it" is caused by too high a frequency in a song which is then boosted by the equalizer in my winamp (2.75) When the EQ is turned off there is no problem. I ripped the songs my self so I don't think it's the mp3. I was quite careful "breaking them in" (speakers) so I pray that they're not blown or something horrible. Does anyone know of a good test track to check the 4.1s for things like this?

Glad im not the only oneSmile.gif

I'm having the same problem. It sounds more like "PSST"

as in trying to get someones attention. Very annoying to say the least. It coud be a winamp problem, I'm going to try and use another player and see what happens.

Yes, this "PSST" problem you describe is exactly the problem I have. Except I have the problem when absolutely nothing is playing! I've noticed it gets louder as I make the volume on the pre-amp louder too. If I leave the speakers "ON" (so there's a green light), and I do not have anything playing, but the volume turned up maybe 1/4 of the way (roughly 10 o'clock or so) I can clearly hear this noise from across my room, with other noise in the room (like a TV on) ... Its very annoying, and I hope Klipsch has a solution on how to fix this! I called Amy from Klipsch but she has not returned my phone call yet.

• 21 years later...

I get this same "spit" every time the song changes on my R-41Ms. Happens if I'm streaming or listening to MP3s (haven't tried on turn table yet) and with every single song.

Volume of the spit goes up or down as I adjust the pre-amp volume (Not ideal. The first time this happened I was listening to something rather loud and it sounded like a poltergeist was screaming through the void at me 😆.) Was there ever a solution provided? Only had the speakers for a few months.