What's the deal with Aragon anyways?

nicholtl

Klipsch promotes it as some of the mose advanced technology available today...yet I don't think I've encountered a single person, in life or on forums, that actually owns, much less can attest to how good these products are.

Klipsch makes some of the best loudspeakers on the planet, without a doubt. However, it seems to me that they might as well forget about separates and all that jazz, since it's clear that cannot match the likes of rotel, krell, lexicon, parasound, outlaw, et cetera.

You should go listen to some Aragon products. Of your list, only Krell has the potential of exceeding the sound and quality of Aragon. Paraphrasing, I have Parasound, Parasound is a friend of mine and Parasound is no Aragon!

Outlaw is the odd man out and not worthy of your list.

Greetings Gentlemen,

At the Klipsch Gathering in June we heard several amps and processors on the Ref series and they beat any Denon/HK equipment I have heard, by a longshot. I also believe that Trey had Aragon in his HT, (I would love the employee discount)1.gif they are out of my price range at the moment. Well maybe after I get some cash saved!

Someone may correct me but I thought it was said that the RF7 7.1 HT there was $10,000 worth of electronics there in separate amps, processors, and Denon 2900 DVD.

Regards,

Greg

I am in NO WAY trying to sound braggardly or like money is no object, but while $10,000 in seperates and a dvd player is high, it isn't astoundingly high. I mean, my parasound C2, A51, A21, and denon 3800 cost a retail of about $11,200 (not how much I actually paid though).

So along those lines, and at that price level, my point remains...aragon is never discussed nor recommended, nor is it priced higher than most who can afford to venture into seperates can shell out.

there are b-board members who have aragon electronics. I cannot remember their names but they seem quite happy with them matched with klipsch speakers. I still do not know why klipsch acquired mondial, I suspect they have not done as good a job of marketing the line since the bought it becuase now I see the stuff be offered on audioadvisor at half price. perhaps they will let the line die out, perhaps not. the stuff is good solid SS equipment. I have heard the amps and they are great representatives of the SS camp. check out the offers at AA you may be tempted to jump in. regards, tony

First of all, theres a separate topic area on the Forum regarding Aragon.

2nd, Id have to agree with John that of all the equipment you mentioned only Krell would be in the same league sonically. There are others of course.

3. I too was at the Klipsch Indy Pilgrimage in June. I must admit, the Aragon electronics they had powering the Heritage speakers sounded pretty good. In fact, for the room not having much acoustical treatment, I was quite surprised at how smooth & detailed the Khorns sounded. I also visited Forum moderator Treys home theater which had some Aragon in it. It was one of the few HT systems Ive actually liked & its not even finished yet.

4. I agree, Im puzzled somewhat by Klipschs involvement with Aragon. They dont seem to promote it much. That market ($$$$$+) is very small, AND saturated. The amplifier power ranges are generally far above whats required for their speakers. Seems to me they should maybe have a company like Quicksilver Audio OEM some nice tube amps for them. They've already had a long-standing relationship to a certain extent.

But I can & will attest that the Aragon components are built extremely well. And, based on my somewhat limited experience with them, they sound exceptional as far as I can tell.

Agreed. Aragon is a very respectable name in the high-end audio market, and I for one am glad of the Klipsch/Mondial alliance. I've only heard Aragon (and Acuras) at high-end audio retailers, and their components have impressed me.

Not having checked out the other Forum section pertaining to Aragon products yet, I'm curious...is Acuras still a part of Mondial, or did that brand slowly fade away and disappear completely? I find no mention of any new products from Acuras anywhere, and I really find that a shame.

Mondial was a classic little boutique manufacturer, based in the Hudson Valley of NY, with 2 brands - Aragon and Acurus. The Acurus was the "more affordable" of the two, possibly benefitting from trickle-down from the Aragon line. Klipsch acquired Mondial a few years back.

Ah, the Hudson River Valley...I was born in Poughkeepsie, NY, and lived in the region for many years. Such a lovely area (Bannerman Castle, Bear Mountain, Vassar, Esopus Lighthouse, West Point). I do miss it.

Had no idea Mondial was located there. It's sad to know the demise of Acuras, but at least Aragon is alive and kicking and associated with Klipsch! Bet Aragon and Klipsch mate well together...would love to hear the combination someday.

Mondial is the name of the design group that creates Aragon and (formerly) Acurus products. Klipsch got all three is the acquisition. We determined that it would be hard enough to market one brand of high performance separates in today's market so we've shelved the Acurus brand for the time being. You don't hear as much about Aragon as you do about large electronics companies due to the smaller size of the market, but Aragon products stand up to just about any competitor, regardless of cost. The Stage One preamp/processor has been favorably compared to models costing much more. The range of amps offered in the line can satisfy just about any user and application.

Jim - Mondial was in Croton-On-Hudson, I believe. My wife and I were in the area around New Year's a couple years ago, shortly after the Klipsch acquisition. I looked them up in the phone book, called the number, and got the founder and past-owner at home! I forget his name. He was delightful to speak with, and very apologetic that there was nothing he could show me, as it had mostly all been move to Indy. Like my Chorus speakers, I think their Acurus and Aragon lines are un-sung heroes!

DD

The unsung hero was the Acurus label. I have a couple amps and enjoy them. I find the cost/performance ratio of Acurus worthwhile, not so for Aragon. Too much $$$ for me. But then, I'm just a consumer.

Keith

PS> Seems that I remember that Acurus products were built on the left coast. I could be wrong. I'm just a consumer remember.