There is a god:

kenratboy

To cut to the chase, I though I lost out on a $10,000 scholarship that will basically pay for my BS program at college. It came today. I though I had lost out on it and would be on my own to pay for college.

I am so very happy. If I didn't get it, I can't even imagine how screwed I would have been, as I would have been on my own to pay for college.

Ahhhhhh, when I saw the envelope, not only did I see what is basically a $10,000 check, but I felt SO MUCH better instantly.

Now I can actually think about buying some Klipsch!!! 9.gif

Congrats, especially from somebody that did lose out on a scholarship like that - ended up doing the student loans and Army thing to pay for mine (plus my parents kicked in some).

During my freshman year, it came down between me and one other dude to get a full scholarship for our Comp. Sci degrees. Guess who got the scholarship (and it wasn't me :( ). Anyway, concrats, and please do good in your studies and don't let that go to waste!

Mt son was offered a $20k scholorship to a very expensive school which would have left us with another $64k to come up with. Needless to say he's at a much more reasonably priced college now.

Congrats on your achievement! Work hard and use the klipsch sparingly. Hide them the best you can from your roommates. I've seen many a good system go down hard at college. This is assuming you are living away from home of course.

You get out of school what you put into it. Have fun but remember these years are going to have a major influence on the rest of your life. Good luck!

----------------

On 8/2/2003 10:24:28 PM garymd wrote:

Mt son was offered a $20k scholorship to a very expensive school which would have left us with another $64k to come up with. Needless to say he's at a much more reasonably priced college now.

Congrats on your achievement! Work hard and use the klipsch sparingly. Hide them the best you can from your roommates. I've seen many a good system go down hard at college. This is assuming you are living away from home of course.

You get out of school what you put into it. Have fun but remember these years are going to have a major influence on the rest of your life. Good luck!
----------------

Thanks, but I will be living at home in my safe, secure room away from beer spills. I will be more than happy to trash someone elses dorm room. The University of Reno Nevada is only 20 minuites away, and dorms cost like $6,000 a year, so home wins BIG time. My costs for college will be ~$275/semester, and thats IT! I won't count backpacks and pencils 2.gif

Good times, then I can get out of college DEBT FREE and buy a C6 Corvette Z06 9.gif9.gif

Reno, Nevada eh? Cool! I have several friends that just graduated from there 2 months ago...myself from USC. They loved it, so I'm sure you'll have a blast. Just remember what they say, in college, 50% of what you learn is outside of the classroom. You live at home and that's good (no rent, no beer on your speakers etc), but be sure to take advantage of all the extracurricular activites, clubs, maybe even a fraternity like i was in. Friends you make in college are your lifelong friends.

----------------

On 8/3/2003 4:17:57 AM marksdad wrote:

congrats ken, my son is an international baccalaureate student, and will soon be in your shoes, hope he has your luck with the scholarships, good luck in school
12.gif
----------------

Thanks! I was never great in high school, but good enough to get $10,000, so I am hoping to kick some butt in college, have some fun, and get a good job.

----------------

On 8/3/2003 3:14:47 PM Vavoline wrote:

Good for you, Ken. I'm glad to hear you will be living at home. I have this mental image of you trying to

shoe-horn that JBL 4648 into a dorm room. LOL!
----------------

Mmmmm, cozy subwoofer bed.

Yes, having a room where my stuff is safe, free food, rent, utilities, washer and dryer, bathroom, etc. is worth ANY hassel.

I will be saving as much money as I can.

I have a $450 timing belt, $800 computer upgrade, and nothing else planned, so I have a few grand I will be saving.

----------------

On 8/4/2003 9:59:25 PM THE ARS wrote:

Fix the belt yourself brother, there's $300 toward your speakers. Or the Z06.
----------------

No, V6 Camry. From the Toyota forums and my mechanic (really cool guy, did a PPE on the car and didn't find worthless stuff to pawn off on me to have him fix), it is a royal PITA and it is NOT something the average shade tree mechanic would want to do, you take lots of stuff apart and then have to put it back together - all in a tight space.

Also, I do not want to **** up on the timing belt, as it is the link between another 75,000 miles of driving and getting a new $2,000 engine.

ALSO, we talked about having some other stuff done while in there (semi-major)

Don't worry, I did my own brakes and that saved a few hundred $$$ in labor, so I win most of the time, but I leave the big/hard stuff to the mechanics, but I am WAY ahead in the game, as my dad and I do all the little things ourselves and save a TON of money in the process.