This guy must have tin ears

skonopa

I went and took a cruise through AudioREVIEW and found this little "gem" in the RF-7 reviews:

Reviewed by: Raymond C, Audio Enthusiast

Price Paid: $0

Product Model Year:

Summary:

The orchestra sounded like a real mess when I threw Ravel Bolero, Richard Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra and Holst The planets on the RF7s, and the base coming out from them was just unbearable. After listening to the CDs I brought in, the sales person in the Hi-Fi store agreed with me that the RF7s were just not good for classical music. Stay away from Klipsch, Polk, Bose and Infinity if you are going to use them to enjoy classical music, find something from Mission or Tannoy instead.

Strengths:

Probably good for movies.

Weaknesses:

Very poor clarity and base.

Similar Products Used:

Mission 774, m53, m52 and Tannoy Saturn S10, S8.

I wonder what he was using for amps/cd player and such. Personally, I think he is full of $#!+, but than again, everybody is entitled to thier opinions. I listened to some of those same pieces on mine, and I thought they sounded absolutly incredible! I didn't find the bass to strong and you could easily hear all the instruments in the orchestra. It just goes to show that you can't take everything written on there as gospel and you just have to go and listen for yourself before you decide on something.

"Very poor clarity and base."

Poor clarity!? Poor bass!!??

This clown is as full as a public toilet and must have hearings aids.The RF7's are CLARITY and BASS DEFINITION

What was he using a tube amp with a damping of 0?Tube amps sound damn good with RF7's and with even a moderate quality SS amp the bass resolution is close to as good as it gets.

What a clown

One thing I agree on is the RF7's are not the best choice for classical,any Totem,Dynaudio or ProAc will take a large lead here.But the weakness would not be lack of bass definition or clarity.The Totems and company simply project a 3D image of the performance,RF7's throw the upper registers at you(like all horns).

Its a question of taste here,clearly the poster has no clue what he is talking about.A newb who thinks he is a audiophile...nah a joker at best.

Hi Steve,

I had the same reaction as your reviewer when I heard the RF-7s in Tweeter. Yuck! I believe it was the room. Tweeter had the the RF-7s less than 3 feet from each wall of a corner. It was boom city. Someone hinted maybe that was why Tweeter no longer sells Klipsch.

There is no such thing as a good classical speaker or a good rock speaker. If it is not good on everything, it is not good.

John,

"There is no suck thing as a good classical speaker or a good rock speaker."

You have speakers like the little ProAc Response 1SC that sound FANTASTIC with Jazz and classical and do less great with rock.With classical and Jazz 90dB is A ok,as rock and LIVE rock you need a solid 95-100dB(and I am conservative here).Due to this fact the small yet refined Response 1 SC is not a great "ROCK" speaker.

AT lower volume however,it sounds very competent.

A lower priced RF7's would make the Response 1SC look real bad in a side by side comparo with any "LOUD" music.Plus the midrange is more natural on the Response One,making it a better speaker for some types of music.

All this does not say RF7's are lousy speakers for Jazz or classical.Simply one is better suited for some musical taste then the other,and again this may vary from user to user.

I saw that review when it was posted,HA! BASE? Yeah,thats a real audiophool.Any fair minded person,even if you don't like the 7's would rate them 3 of 5.I visit audioreview often,and in total you can find out if a product is junk,thats about it.I always laugh when some joker gives a product hell,says it wont do this or that when I have the product and it does.I want to say,if you don't know the product PLEASE don't review it.I also have a problem with the "I tried it at the store and it sounded awful".How could the average person try to compare items that they have NO idea who hooked em' up,how they are hooked up,what ALL settings are,is the switch board,connections junk,etc..I could make Krell,Lexicon and Wilson's sound crappy(for their price) if I wanted to.

A dweeb, pure and simple. Anyone with a bit of common sense knows you can't always properly tell what any loudspeaker sounds like while auditioning them in a retailer's showroom (unless there's a dedicated loudspeaker setup in a single sound room). You gotta get 'em home and listen to them in your own room with your own equipment, properly placed. Had this schmuck done that, he might have a whole different outlook for the RF-7s.

"I dunno, I love the way my RF-5's and RSW-15 make classical sound. especially pomps and pipes "

Sure have these speakers too and they sound GOOOOOD,but anyone who heard(compared)my RF7/RSW15/Sunfire Sig on Pomp & Pipes against my Dyanudio 3.3/Krell FPB/AerialSW12/HGS18/B15 will tell you aint NOTHING like solid and massive 20Hz subwoofing on pipe organs digging deep.

Today its a little bit of all music on my two systems,decided to clean the ports and woofers with some well deserved HIGH SPL style playback. Coldplay... Clocks...love this tune.At high volume on Klipsch RF7's is all good.

9.gif

----------------

On 8/3/2003 10:45:43 AM TheEAR wrote:

Coldplay... Clocks...love this tune.At high volume on Klipsch RF7's is all good.

9.gif

----------------

The first time I heard that song, I was driving to work and heard it on my car stereo. First thing that came to my mind was, "I bet that will sound awesome on my Klipsch". I went and got a copy of the album and the first time I put that on - I was blown away! Yes, that is a terrific tune and one of the rare gems in the rough.

Boy! My last post was a mess! I must have been in a hurry or asleep!

Ears, I've heard lots of speakers that did one thing well and not another. My La Scalas tend to be like that. I still think it means the speaker in not good. My La Scalas excell at anything with acoustic instruments, but sometimes are tough to listen to with electronic instruments. I wonder if it's the recording or the speakers. I usually think it's the recording, because the same disc is not good in my truck, either.